Rank the Blazers youngins

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Rank all the rookies/sophomores on the roster based on everything: current performance, ceiling, etc. Include the two way guys as well.

Mine

1. Gary Trent Jr.
    Some might argue the ceiling isn’t as high, but I see a guy that makes an impact on both ends of the floor. That’s a pretty high ceiling to me. I also see a part of his game that is a little raw but shows flashes; his midrange.

2. Nassir Little
    His shot mechanics have been cleaned up faster than I expected and he’ll only be 20 next season. He’s got great upside defensively and works the boards. He does seem to get lost on assignments but that can only improve with experience.

3. Wenyen Gabriel
    Highest upside on the team imo and his g league shooting has translated with Portland, albeit a small sample size. I have Nas higher only because he’s two years younger. But I see a guy that can space the floor and defend multiple positions. Probably the most defensively versatile player on the roster. I also saw some ballhandling/passing in the g league we haven’t seen yet in the nba, so it’ll be interesting to see how those translate if/when he’s given more freedom.

4. Anfernee Simons
    I don’t really see the upside that people talk about but I do see potential for a pretty good scorer. His ceiling to me is Will Barton. That’s a very solid player, but not a franchise pillar. His future in Portland will depend on how his playmaking develops because I don’t see playing time at any position outside of point guard. That’s also the only position I see him being able to defend in the near future.

5. Jaylen Hoard
    I think he’s a power forward in a small forwards body right now. Almost all his buckets come at the rim. That works in the g league but he’ll probably struggle against bigger dudes in the nba. If he can develop a somewhat reliable jumper, he can be a good player because he does a bunch of other things well. That’s always a big if though.

6. Moses Brown
    He’s that cliche of two years away from being two years away. His g league numbers look good but there aren’t many guys that are as tall as him, so he has a massive advantage. His post moves need work and he doesn’t defend the rim as well as he should. I’d say his biggest weakness though is play strength, and I don’t believe one summer will be enough to fix it. Best case scenario he gets another two way.

UKRAINEFAN, 42N8Bounce, TBpup and 6 others like this.
  2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    My list is basically the same. Though I have no idea where to put simons. His game and the talk of the team, and his age, and he's very confusing.

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Good topic considering we have very little to discuss right now in the world of sports.....might as well focus on the future.
    I think your list is pretty good. Although as you say the sample size on Wenyen Gabriel is small. But none the less he shows potential. Does he really only weigh 205? He is two years older than Trent and Simons. He needs to put on some weight.

As for Simons, you said you see his potential to be a pretty good scorer but you don't see the upside people are talking about?
    I think that his scoring potential is the upside people see. Much like CJ he is a SG. Making him a PG is a mistake. I would say it is harder to cover quick PG's in the NBA than larger SG's. Either way, he needs to add 10 lbs of muscle....much like Gabriel

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah again, for me at least, it all depends on his playmaking. I’m not really worried about his ability to score. He doesn’t have to be Steve Nash or anything but he needs to get a lot better at making plays for others. He’s flashed that ability so it’s in there somewhere, but it needs work. Same with his defense. He also needs major work physically. There are dudes in high school with better builds.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    My issues with Simons, are well defense (he fits in on the Blazers...), offensively he seems to not really be great at creating for himself yet which he'll have to work on that, strength to absorb contact, his handle needs some work too. I think he'll be good and like you said 10lbs of muscle for him and wenyen would do them both well.

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The reason I don’t see the upside is because if he’s just a scorer, then who or what exactly is his ceiling? There are a lot of guys in the league that can score, but don’t really impact the game anywhere else and aren’t all star caliber players. So relative to the hype, I don’t see the upside.

7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Ditto. I see Simons' athleticism and ability to get wherever he wants on the floor and that looks pretty exciting. It just feels like he's rushing everything. If the game slows down for him to where he takes a split second more with his shots, I think he can be a very good scorer. I don't think that Olshey's boasting about him prior to the season did anything good for his game; it just put more pressure on him.

8. Pinwheel1

Sure there are a lot of guys in the NBA who can score because the ones who can't shoot, don't last long.
    Lot easier for good shooters to improve their defense than for great athletes to learn to be good shooters. Simons already can shoot and he is obviously athletic enough to become a good defender. The hype is coming from the Blazer players. In general, I find it hard to trust anyone about anything, but if I did the players would be the ones I would listen to first on this subject.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t think becoming a good defender is that much of a given. There are lot of athletic guys that can’t defend. So if he doesn’t develop that part of his game, along with his playmaking, who is he? Jordan Clarkson?

Minstrel and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I don't think pressure has any more to do with him not meeting expectations as any other 1 or two year player. I see a player that needs to gain weight and learn to play some D. His O will come but players are fronting him because of his keep the ball out front and into his shot, most players in the NBA have it down where they go either side and into a jumper. He's more comfortable now when he's fronted to drive right and onto his fall away one handed shot. Once he learns to post up more and shake a player lose he can the effective scorer we've seen intermittently. He never was coached in College and he's learning while in the NBA.

12. Pinwheel1

Yeah it is never a given that any player becomes a good defender. But it seems to me that young players do defend better over time. Assuming that you have a coaching staff that emphasizes it.

13. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Simons is last. Complete fail from Neil

Propagandist likes this.
  14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    1. Anfernee Simons
    2. Gary Trent Jr.
    3. Wenyen Gabriel - wild card. Could end up almost anywhere on this list.
    4. Nassir Little
    5. Jaylen Hoard
    6. Moses Brown

15. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'll wait until they're actually getting consistent minutes, and have plays called for them before I make any declarations. So far I like what I've seen out of Simons, Little, Trent and Gabriel.

16. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

My list is about the same as yours.
    Trent is gonna be a solid 2 way player if he isn’t already.
    Little has been a victim of Stotts favoring vets over him. It has been maddening watching Stotts favor Mario over him even though Little is so much better. I would argue Little has the highest ceiling, he has drawn comparisons to Kawhi Leonard, Andre Iguodala, and Gerald Wallace. They all are or were 2 way all star players which is exactly what I see Little being
    Gabriel has the biggest motor. He never gives up on the play. His defense is solid. Adding 10 pound will go a long way for him. His offense is interesting. I see his floor as Aminu but his ceiling is Pascal Siakam lite.
    Anfernee is a wild card. He can be like Will Barton or Lou Williams of the world. If he can add a playmaking game then we could be talking about an offensive all star player. Although I don’t see that happening
    Hoard you said it well
    Moses is making money only because he’s tall
    I like the potential of a Simons/Trent/Little/Gabriel/Collins lineup. I am excited for the future of that group

HailBlazers and Scalma like this.
  17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    1. Simons
    2. Trent
    3. Little

The rest aren't worth ranking.

18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

1.) Simons

Simons is still very young. He has the highest ceiling of the Blazers young players. Many are down on him because of his numbers this season. But, his ability to move with the ball and get wherever he wants on the court with ease is exciting. He was asked to take too big of a role to early. He has the potential and thr ceiling to be a star caliber player. He just needs more time.

2.) Gary Trent Jr

Trent Jr has been the bright light in a dismally dark season. His three point shooting, defensive capability, high basketball IQ, and his composure have been pleasant surprises. He plays like a veteran. He could be a Wesley Matthews type player in this league. A solid starter or role player off the bench.

3.) Nassir Little

Little hasn't gotten the time on the court he should have with so many injuries. With no injuries, he likely wouldn't have played at all. Little is diligent and relentless especially on defense. His shot still needs some work, but it will come.

4.) Wenyen Gabriel

Wenyen is so fun to watch. Dude is tenacious to a t. He will go out there and defend anyone. He had no qualms about defending Anthony Davis or Lebron James, and was a big part in Portland beating LA.

Wenyen is the high energy, determined, fearless type of player you want on your team. His numbers are still something to be improved, but make no mistake, this kid has sky high potential.

5.) Jaylen Hoard

Hoard hasn't had much playtime but he has size, athleticism, and versatility. Everying you like in a forward. Kid is explosive like dynamite. He can do a bit of it all. He is a strong rebounder, he can block shots, run the floor, defend anywhere on the floor. He might some issues with bigger guys, but his 7'1 wingspan and his strength he should be fine. He still has a few years to develop but will be servicable off the bench.

6. Moses Brown

He is hella athletic and can run the floor quick for a big man. He is 7'1 with a 7'3 wingspan so he has height. But, he still young...years away from even forming an identity as an nba player. He needs to put on muscle and learn how to play against NBA bigs. How to assert himself and use his body to his benefit. Probably wont be a blazer next season, 2 way or not.

HailBlazers and RR7 like this.
  19. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

It feels like no-one has been watching Simons this season. I hate when people make comparisons/predictions like I'm about to do BUT best case scenario as I see it with Simons (and this is VERY generous) is essentially CJ-minus minus, ie Fool's Gold. I dread watching guards drive right past him for the next 5 years and watching him drive to the hoop with blinders on. Maybe I'm just suffering from watching too much isolation this season, I don't know. Or hopefully, I'm just wrong.

20. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I think if we ranked them by possible value as trade chips to other teams it would be:
    1. Simons
    2. Little
    3. Nobody
    4. Everybody else

Not one of them has proved himself a legit NBA player. Trent played a fair amount recently but had horrible +/- numbers doing it. I probably have the most hope for Little just because there are useful NBA role players like him and he has the right attitude to become one. Simons is boom or bust. I think he could legitimately put up good numbers... as a starter on a TERRIBLE team. He's not a player who can be a good role player: he needs to be the main scorer or he has very little value.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Gabriel - I think he'll find a role somewhere in the league, even if it's not with us. It would help if he was a bit taller - he's something of a Dante Cunningham, in that he has PF skills in a SF body but he also seems to have the right attitude.