Raptors Official Offseason Thread (Signings, trades, etc)

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by jbbCourtVision, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Carcharias

Carcharias JBB JustBBall Member

We have until the 31st to match N.O offer to Mo Pete....if he goes, who plays backup SG/SF. Also, what if Murray doesn't have it at all anymore, now we are down a backup SG and SF.

Alvin can play the 2, but it is better suited for the 1.

And then we have the center problem. Bosh needs to be moved to starting 4. If he doesn't get moved and moved quickly, I don't think he will re-sign with the Raps come the time.

I agree we have a lot of talent....however we still need certain bodies to be a complete team.

Now when you looks at who we have.....who really can be moved?

Bosh is and should be untouchable.

VC demished reputation will never let us get what he's worth.

Rose bloated contract makes he next to untradable.

Alvin Williams' injury also makes he next to untradable.

Lammond Murray hasn't really played in two years, no ones touching him....he
    couldn't be traded last year...nothing has changed.

Palacio anyone?? nah....didn't think so.

Moiso is an unachiever and barely played last year...when he did play, he didn't take advantage of his playing time.

Roger Mason Jr, had a great summer league....he could be moved but not for anyone who we could really use.

Donyell Marshall has a great year last year. He can be moved, but he is 31 years old.

That is everyone under contract. Not a lot of breathing room. We need to sign free agents.

2. skip

skip BBW Member

hey did u copy my avy^? o well... i heard mopete got matched, and the onli raps that are untradable is Chris Bosh... ever1 else can b gone.

3. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DerfZ:</div><div class="quote_post">hey did u copy my avy^? o well... i heard mopete got matched, and the onli raps that are untradable is Chris Bosh... ever1 else can b gone.</div>

What if we can get LeBron for Bosh somehow...he's not an untradable then [​IMG]

4. jenike

jenike JBB JustBBall Member

Banks that's a rediculous comment. Every team has untouchables (well most of them do). Do you really think that Cleveland would offer LJ? I know you were kidding, but still...

5. Mr.Fundamentals

Mr.Fundamentals JBB JustBBall Member

no player is untouchable. if we traded vince and Bosh to cleveland for Lebron, you think they won't accept?

6. Gangsta_nerd

Gangsta_nerd JBB JustBBall Member

Toronto trades: Rafael Araujo ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
    PF Donyell Marshall (14.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 36.5 minutes)
    SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
    Toronto receives: PF Jared Jeffries (5.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.3 minutes)
    PF Kwame Brown (10.9 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.5 apg in 30.2 minutes)
    SF Antawn Jamison (14.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +1.2 ppg, +5.1 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

Washington trades: PF Jared Jeffries (5.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.1 apg in 23.3 minutes)
    PF Kwame Brown (10.9 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.5 apg in 30.2 minutes)
    SF Antawn Jamison (14.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.9 apg in 29.0 minutes)
    Washington receives: Rafael Araujo ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
    PF Donyell Marshall (14.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 82 games)
    SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 66 games)
    Change in team outlook: -1.2 ppg, -5.1 rpg, and +3.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Toronto and Washington being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Toronto and Washington had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I think this is a cool trade idea with jamison and carter on the same team they would have awsome chemistry. Plus haveing kwame and bosh locking the front court down it would be sick wicked and nasty.

7. Mr.Fundamentals

Mr.Fundamentals JBB JustBBall Member

Sorry but I just do not think this trade will work. Antwawn and Kwame Brown are still young, and Jalen Rose is in his prime, if not past his prime. Another reason why I think this will not work is because Toronto need Rafael Araujo. He is basically their only real big bodied player on the team, not to mention the fact that we do not know how he will fare this season. I would love to see a Jamison- Carter duo, but there are too many factors being laid upon for this trade to work.

8. skip

skip BBW Member

alright... trade rose for jameson... simple

9. Gotrunks226

Gotrunks226 JBB JustBBall Member

too bad it isn't that simple

10. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Someone told me we are going to offer Loren Woods a two years 2 million dollar deal soon.

11. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> the only people I can think of who are still getting paid who aren't on the team are Huffman and KO.</div>
    I thought we don't have to pay Huffman? IHe had a breach of contract, and the contract was nullified, was it not? I remember he had some appeal, he didn't win the appeal did he?

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting nkwu:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought we don't have to pay Huffman? IHe had a breach of contract, and the contract was nullified, was it not? I remember he had some appeal, he didn't win the appeal did he?</div>
    He did win it, we have to pay the remainder of his contract. $2.5 million or something like that.

13. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

Marcus Fizer is a free agent, with a big body and still has an upside. I don't know what they have for cap room if any but i think he would be a good pick up for a reasonable price.

14. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Drunkballer:</div><div class="quote_post">Marcus Fizer is a free agent, with a big body and still has an upside. I don't know what they have for cap room if any but i think he would be a good pick up for a reasonable price.</div>
    He got in trouble with the law a few weeks ago, that's partly the reason he has generated so little interest this offseason. He is also only 6-8, does not have enough size to play power forward and not enough speed for small forward. The Raptors could try and pick him up, but I don't think he'll be a major contributor.

15. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">He got in trouble with the law a few weeks ago, that's partly the reason he has generated so little interest this offseason. He is also only 6-8, does not have enough size to play power forward and not enough speed for small forward. The Raptors could try and pick him up, but I don't think he'll be a major contributor.</div>

Well im not going to try and pre-judge his results but im sure picking him up would be worth becuase he's not to expensive and his up side is through the roof. Although he is only 6'8 he's also 260 pounds of muscle ( keep in mind Eric dampier is only 270) He plays physical and he plays big. His last two games he averaged 25.5 and 18 rebounds a game. The game before that he picked 12 rips in 20 minutes of action against the raptors a game the raptors lost. I also feel he can run the floor well and would fit into sam mitchell coaching style. He's still the personification of inconsistency but sometimes you have to take a chance on these players and hope its the right time/place. Especially if that chance won't cost you an arm and a leg.

16. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Drunkballer:</div><div class="quote_post">Well im not going to try and pre-judge his results but im sure picking him up would be worth becuase he's not to expensive and his up side is through the roof. Although he is only 6'8 he's also 260 pounds of muscle ( keep in mind Eric dampier is only 270) He plays physical and he plays big. His last two games he averaged 25.5 and 18 rebounds a game. The game before that he picked 12 rips in 20 minutes of action against the raptors a game the raptors lost. I also feel he can run the floor well and would fit into sam mitchell coaching style. He's still the personification of inconsistency but sometimes you have to take a chance on these players and hope its the right time/place. Especially if that chance won't cost you an arm and a leg.</div>
    I don't mind having him, but the most he would be IMO is a rarely-used bench player. We have taken chances on unproven players like Fizer before in Moiso and Michael Stewart. I don't want the Raptors making the same blunder again and wind up having to keep him on the roster and pay him money.

17. Juxsta

Juxsta JBB JustBBall Member

Raptors Sign Matt Bonner

(Sept. 20, 2004) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have signed forward Matt Bonner. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

The Raptors acquired the rights to Bonner on June 26, 2003 from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for a future second-round draft pick. He spent last season playing for Sicilia in the Italian A1 League, where he averaged 19.2 points (seventh in the 18-team league) and 9.3 rebounds (seventh in the league).

Bonner, 6-foot-10, 240 pounds, was selected by the Bulls with the 45th pick in the 2003 NBA Draft and dealt that same evening to the Raptors. He has played for the Raptors? summer league entry the past two years. Bonner averaged 10.4 points (12th in the league) and 6.8 rebounds (fifth in the league and second on the team) for the Raptors in the 2004 Minnesota Summer League. He had a high of 20 points against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Bonner averaged 12.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 131 career games with the University of Florida. He is the only player in school history to record 1,500 points, 750 rebounds and 150 three-pointers. As a senior, he averaged a team-best 15.2 points and was second on the squad with 6.1 rebounds. A first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection, he led the conference in three-point field goal percentage (.474).