Ray's Contract

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I doubt Larry leaves Washington. Ernie Grunfeld has stated that he has consent from Abe Pollin to bend over backwards to keep Larry, even at the expense of not being able to resign Kwame, don't expect Larry in the Green next year.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Ok then, I'll just take your word for it and strike him off the list.

While I'm at it I'll strike Joe Johnson off the list too as Mike D'Antoni said he wants to keep him.

Michael Redd said he wants to stay in Milwaukee, will put a line through his name too.

Guess we'll have to pay Ray what he wants then, as everyone else is already spoken for.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I honestly don't think Redd will be a Buck next year, he said he wants to stay...but I don't see them winning with him. I believe (I am not 100% sure here) that Milwaukee wants to make a run at Kwame (along with Atlanta). So the right amount of cash could pick Redd away from them.

4. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

From Frank Hughes in the Tacoma News Tribune...

"The Sonics at the time apparently increased their offer to $75 million over five years. Allen countered by asking for a bonus that would allow him to make $80 million if his production remained at 85 percent of his current output during the first three years of the deal.

The Sonics rejected the offer, and despite being only $5 million apart, the talks broke down."

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sonic...p-4455078c.html

This is referring to the negotiations at the All Star Break. I'm sorry but if Allen was willing to take the $75M with an extra $5M in performance based bonuses, they should have accepted the counter offer. They went up $5M he went down $15M guaranteed and asked for the extra $5M if he performed better than expected.

I know they think they can get him for the $75 straight up on the current free agent market. The teams that Allen wants to go to can't offer him that. The teams that can pay better are never seeing the playoffs with Allen or without him. $5M in performance based bonuses over 5 years is nothing in the big picture to the Sonics and is the right way to show they appreciate what Ray has done, and expect more of the same for the next 5 years. It encourages Ray to find a new role as he gets older, and saves them money if he can't.

They bid low to Rashard, and he stayed despite the slight and despite the fact that Dallas offered him more. The problem there was that he wasn't getting enough touches or chance to improve in a lineup of Dirk, Nash and Finley. He took less money to get the chance to be the number 2 and then maybe number 1 option. He pushed himself to get the performance bonuses, and has made some of them.

Ray is not an unproven talent who has yet to step up. He doesn't deserve to get rejected over an extra $5M over 5 years of performance contingent bonuses. Howard, Wally and Sund are not on target here. Ray walks and they are NOT replacing him with someone who does what he does at that same salary. There isn't anyone available. Joe Johnson is NOT coming to Seattle, but if was, he may cost the same but wouldn't bring the whole package.

If I were Ray I would go ahead and take less to play for a better team that respects its leaders better than the Seattle Sonics.

5. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting psheehy:</div><div class="quote_post">

They bid low to Rashard, and he stayed despite the slight and despite the fact that Dallas offered him more. The problem there was that he wasn't getting enough touches or chance to improve in a lineup of Dirk, Nash and Finley. He took less money to get the chance to be the number 2 and then maybe number 1 option.</div>

Dallas did not offer Sweet Lew more money that the Supes. They gave him the opportunity to play at the mid-level exception for one season with the promise that they would sign him at a near max extension the next season. Shard understands that there is no such thing as a promised contract and took the highest offer that he received, which was Seattle's.

The front office has been consistent the entire season about negotiating contracts. No one has received an extension, not even Rick Sund our general manager. This has unified our team and forced impending free agents to give their best effort on a consistent basis. At the end of the day I'm beginning to believe that even though Ray may feel slighted he'll end up taking the contract that provides him the most guaranteed money. No rebuilding team is going to fork over max money for a 30 year old shooting guard, so I'm guessing his offer is going to come from other playoff caliber teams. If Seattle pays him the most he'll stay, if they don't he'll leave.

It's all speculation, but it makes for interesting conversation.

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Rashard's biggest problem is he came out of contract in an offseason where there were no big free agents on the market. No teams had prepared specifically for that offseason in terms of creating caproom, and those with room weren't prepared to waste it that year.

History proves that the Sonics were right with what they offered Lew, I don't think even he would argue that.

7. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

If Larry Hughes is a free agent, take him over Ray..Ray is kinda old and hes asking for too much money..But if Larry Hughes re-signs with the Wizards then i hope we keep Ray..There is no other SG that is a Free Agent that can lead a team to victories..Hopefully Rick Sund and Ray can work something out.

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting legendisdope:</div><div class="quote_post">There is no other SG that is a Free Agent that can lead a team to victories..</div>

I've heard that Michael Redd kid can play a bit.

9. legendisdope

Yeah but he said he wants to stay with the Bucks...And he probably wants a max-contract also.

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting legendisdope:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah but he said he wants to stay with the Bucks...And he probably wants a max-contract also.</div>

He's still a free agent shooting guard who can win games. He may have said he wants to stay in Milwaukee, but how much can you take a player's word for this early?

I think he stays, but you can't strike him off the list.

11. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

...So...Paul Pierce is apparently on the market. I'm not sure though if Ainge will do a Ray for Pierce S&T. Maybe Ainge loves Shard and believes he can be a superstar in the East, and somehow the Sonics can workout some sort of Pierce for Shard trade. Then you can forget about re-signing Allen and focus on re-signing Vlad and/or Flip to fill in Shard's spot. I have no clue what Ainge thinks about these ideas, just some ideas that came up in my head.

12. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Ray for Pierce trades have been on the rumour mill for a couple of seasons now.

13. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pwn3d!:</div><div class="quote_post">Ray for Pierce trades have been on the rumour mill for a couple of seasons now.</div>

Maybe it could go through this time with Ray and his expired contract to go with PP being on the market (supposedly). Oh well, I gave it a try. We could arrange some Ray Allen 1 year contract thing for Mo-Pete and Lamond Murray if you wanted to...and possibly Casanova for Hoffa

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I heard on the radio today, Ray Allen met with the owner and told him he wants to be back with the Sonics more than ever. He also lowered his demand to $70Million for 6 years (he wanted 7 years before) and told the owner he will take his name out of the free agent market, if they can get the deal done before the season ends.

In addition, Ray Allen is pushing for Nate McMillan to sign a deal simultaneously with his.

15. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I heard on the radio today, Ray Allen met with the owner and told him he wants to be back with the Sonics more than ever. He also lowered his demand to $70Million for 6 years (he wanted 7 years before) and told the owner he will take his name out of the free agent market, if they can get the deal done before the season ends.

In addition, Ray Allen is pushing for Nate McMillan to sign a deal simultaneously with his.</div>

Now that would be sweet. Getting Ray on the cheap with extra money for free agents would be good. Wonder if he decided to take less to give the Supes more money to keep AD...they are best friends and I think AD should be a top priority for the Sonics since he is the only guard regularly going to the rim and the leadership/experience he brought was so valuable.

16. legendisdope

Yes seems like everything is going right so far, Hopefully Rick Sund does this.

17. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Just having a browse of the ESPN forums, it seems David Locke's most recent comments on radio suggest that Ray will be re-signed for 75-80/5 and it will happen before the start of JUly when he's officially a free agent.

Nothing earth shttering there, but it seems his playoffs personally and the team's run have given him a big leverage in discussions.

18. legendisdope

So whats up with Ray, people been saying hes not going to re-sign.

19. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Well with the new CBA, we can offer more than other teams, but will we?

Bucks offered Redd a max deal of 90/6, I'm told the Cavs can only offer a max of 73/5? Not sure if that sounds right, but that's less than Ray wants here anyway.

EDIT - Just realised the Cavs can offer Ray more than Redd as he's been in the league longer, but we still hold the cards with the new CBA guidelines.