OT Readers Respond: Portland Is Too Dangerous

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Sep 8, 2019.

1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate

LOL Love it!!

The box I picked up my Oregon Journals from was next to Grimm's Fuel at the corner of South Shore Blvd. and McVey/Stafford Rd.

2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The bench mark against other is ok, but the Cops should be less tolerant than they have been, imo.

3. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Grandma used to get the wood for her wood furnace from Grimm's. I always thought it came from Grimm's on Macadam but I never knew there was one on South Shore and McVey.
    I delivered the Oregonian both in Oswego and in NW Portland where I had to contend with the hills near the big Montgomery Ward building on Vaughn.

4. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    @Lanny ... OK, I have a very serious question for you: Did you ever walk across the train trestle between L.O. and Milwaukie? (North end of town near Terwilliger & State St.) ) I did many times as I had a girlfriend in Milwaukie. It was before I got my DL at age 17. Heh, I used to smoke pot with my buddies underneath the tracks about halfway across. Walking across was rather bold, as a train could come at any time. Jump or get hit.

5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I also used to deliver the Oregonian

Lanny likes this.
  6. Lanny

No, but I spent a good part of my life fishing and harassing critters in the Tryon Creek area. That was before Tryon Creek was a state park. Followed the creek down from a a trail head at 4th and about E down to the creek and then sloshed through the creek down until I went under State street and almost but not quite to the Willamette River. Also fished in Sucker Creek and Oswego Lake back when the lake was cleaner than it is today. Caught a lot of fresh water perch in the lake. Caught very little in either Tryon Creek or Sucker Creek. I'd rate Sucker Creek as slightly more productive than Tryon Creek. Caught a blue gill somewhere in one of those three places and a catfish behind the Dairy Maid. The Dairy Maid and the Pinafore were owned by my friend's father who was once the mayor of Oswego, Mr. Needham.

I used to go in and out of bars and taverns along State Street selling newspapers, these included the Pinafore, the Beachcomber, the Cove and directly outside of the Piggly Wiggly on the sidewalk. I also serviced the paper machines. I mostly sold the Oregonian blue streak but I recall a green streak and a red streak and have a foggy memory of a yellow streak although I could very well be wrong about the yellow. The streaks indicated the time of day that the paper was issued. The blue streak was the late afternoon one.

My favorite pass time was swimming in the lake at the Oswego public pool. At that time there was also a pay pool very near the public pool and that was where our Olympic champion spent his time honing his swimming skills. He set a record for the most gold medals in the Olympics at the time. His mom was a substitute teacher at Oswego high school. She used to buy him "Tigers Milk" at the health food store between A and B on first street.

I know a lot of history about Oswego throughout the 50s. My mom was socially active helping start both the annual water festival and the civic theater which opened with Harvey which I went to see. Boring as hell for a little boy. She also thought up an advertising scheme which she named "Pennies From Heaven". She had a girlfriend who owned a small plane. She got coupons from most of the merchants and weighted down small paper parachutes containing the coupons with pennies. Us kids ran all over town grabbing the pennies and leaving the coupons on the ground. Great idea but she didn't plan on that snag.

My aunt and uncle and their two children, my cousins, lived in a house on the corner of 4th and C. Today there is a park there.

I had a best friend who moved to Palisades in about 1957 or 58 and left me heart broken. His parents were bad alcoholics although wealthy and he was very embarrassed by them. I came from a poor family so we had black spots that were difficult to accept and it made it possible for us to support each other. I'd love to look him up today. He's the one that tutored me in mathematics which became my primary interest for the rest of my life. I've had more mathematics than almost anyone you know. Got a 154 on my math IQ and I owe it all to Billy. Last I heard he was a tennis pro. Very athletic but small kid. Great swimmer too.

After Billy, I took up with Jerry. Jerry wasn't a good student but very athletic and larger than average size. Jerry eventually went into the Navy and became his fleet boxing champion in his weight class which must have been somewhere near heavy weight.
    I miss those guys.

7. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Tan lines.

8. Lanny

Never smoked pot until college the second time, i.e. after the Army.

9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  10. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
  11. Hoopguru

Same here. I deliver the Oregon Journal on a horse in early mid 60's. Down Outfield, up Thiesen, down Hill rd back to Oatfield and up View Acres and Risley.

MARIS61 likes this.
  12. Hoopguru

Me and my buds in early-mid sixties crossed that trestle many times on occasion letting the train go over us as you could get down underneath the tracks in the middle and be safe. You were looking for them good looking Oswego chicks and ones with money if we were lucky. It was easy to score with them Oswego chicks back in the day. Id have to say them West Linn gals were a cut above!
    I would water ski from that trestle up to OC and back fully dressed in long pants and dress shirt, after work. Beach start and stop.

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Like ANTIFA

MARIS61 likes this.
  14. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

You do?

barfo

Lanny likes this.
  15. Hoopguru

in my book it doesn't matter if its rapid blazers fans, any kind supremacist, antifa or boy scouts if they are threatening people and wreaking property, come down hard on em.
    Hell, in my day if you were hanging around town doing nothing they had vagrancy laws. And if you broke the law or they through your butt in the clink.

16. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    As an Oswego boy, there was nothing quite like those farm girls from the OC. (Oregon City). The Drive-In theater up there was unbeatable.

17. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I married one of those OC “farm girls” (though I was from Southeast Portland). And yes, there’s nothing quite like them (even after 43 years)......but hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and again.......

18. Hoopguru

I loved playing the OC golf course in the summer time. The fairways were so hard the ball would travel another 5o yrds easily on a drive.

19. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Me and my friends used to ride tri-met all over the place as early as 5th or 6th grade. I can’t imagine they let kids that young on the bus unsupervised anymore. In high school we’d ride the bus downtown with our skateboards, find a bum to buy us beer and tear up the town. Go from spot to spot skating until we got kicked out. Hit the head shops and smoke weed in the bushes or in parking garages. Never ran into any serious problems. Never got mugged or beat up. Met a lot of cool and interesting people. I’m sure it’s not much worse now days as long as you steer clear of downtown when the dipshits are congregating. Portland is a great town. I’ve been to nearly every major city in the western US and there are A LOT worse places than Portland.

20. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

But the greens were almost perfect. It’s like they said “fuck the fairways” and put all the time and effort into the greens. Cuz yes, those fairways were almost comically brutal.

Hoopguru and SlyPokerDog like this.