Trade Realistic trade ideas

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OSUBlazerfan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Im with you I dont think there is a front office in the league that values Vonleh enough to offer him a deal let alone one too rich for us to afford. What has he shown? Plumlee is not a fair comparison because Meyers at this point had shown more potential than Vonleh, and since we were the only team willing to pay Meyers I find it ridiculous that people are worrying about how much Vonleh will make.

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Boston wasn't hellbent on getting an upgrade for him--they were hellbent on signing a star while they still had cap space (next year, extensions for players like Thomas and Bradley and Smart will eat up any cap space) and Hayward was the one they could get. He just happens to play Crowder's position.

No one's saying Crowder's a star, but he's a very good complementary player--guys who are actually good 3&D guys are extremely valuable and all the more so when they don't cost a bomb. If you don't think he's a particularly good defender, then of course you don't get the hype--you have a minority, negative view of him. You could be right, of course (minority doesn't mean wrong), but the "hype" is based on most observers considering him a high-level defender.

dviss1 likes this.
  3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'm just wary of him being another Brad Stevens gem. We already have a former Celtic on our roster who looked damn good in BOS but generally underwhelmed here.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Different system.

And he was injured. He only played in 65 games last year. He had just started to hit his stride when he went down.

H.C. and dviss1 like this.
  5. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

I agree about his defense, but his shot is much better than Moe's. Moe is not even hitting one 3 per game. Its also the volume that matters.

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I was just thinking the same thing. Is BOS the new Eastern Conference version of SAS? For the last decade and a half, it seems like EVERY player that leaves the Spurs doesn't look nearly as good on their new team. On the flip side, SAS seems to take other teams' cast offs and polishes those turds into solid NBA players.

With BOS playing in the much weaker East, I think this may be even more exacerbated. Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder look much better playing in the East than they did in the West. And the poster I quoted already mentioned Evan Turner, who looked much better in BOS than POR.

Wherever Crowder goes, it will be interesting to see if his performance drops off, he plateaus, or continues to rise.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I didn't think Turner looked damn good. I thought he was okay in Boston--I think Crowder looks better. But this is the spot where contract value--the thing you said isn't too relevant--is hugely relevant. Turner on a role-player deal (similar to Livingston's, say) would be a solid asset. Turner's not a bad player, just massively overpaid. Crowder doesn't (currently) have that problem.

8. Natebishop3

The only thing holding them back is a generational big man who might be the greatest at his position of all time. :devilwink:

9. Boob-No-More

It shouldn't take a veteran like Turner that long to fit it on a new team. He had all of training camp, all of the preseason and the the first half of the regular season to figure out his role and make the most of the minutes he's given.

Although he only played in 8 games with Nurk, he's one of the few players (only one, actually) that didn't play better next to Nurk.

I had high hopes for Turner, but maybe he's just not that good. Maybe he's not a good fit. Maybe both.

BNM

JFizzleRaider and BonesJones like this.
  10. Boob-No-More

I wasn't referring to Boston's championship odds. I was suggesting that maybe players look better in their system, against weaker competition than they do elsewhere. It has nothing to do with having, or not, having a teammate like Tim Duncan.

Isaiah Thomas couldn't even start on PHO, he moves to BOS and he's an MVP candidate. Jae Crowder was a decent, but not great, back up in DAL. He's moves to BOS and he's a solid starter. Evan Turner looks solid in BOS, move West and returns to being Mehvan " The Big Disappointment" Turner.

Maybe Thomas and Crowder were destined to show marked improvement wherever they went. Maybe BOS was just the perfect storm of system, teammates and competition for Evan Turner, but you have to admit all three of those guys have looked way better playing for Brad Stevens than they have anywhere else during their NBA careers.

BNM

11. Natebishop3

I don't know.... I just saw a really bad plan from Stotts. Trying to play Turner with CJ and Crabbe, but not really explaining who was the point guard or how things were supposed to work... it just seemed like everyone was trying to free style. I didn't really watch enough of Boston to see what worked with him there.

12. Natebishop3

Not everything is a swipe at you BNM. Sometimes you can be so combative, even towards a playful comment. Did you think it was possible that I was just expanding on what you posted? Not assaulting your opinion? I got what you were saying. I was making a joke. Thus the point of the smiley.

13. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I agree with the bolded more than any post I've read on this forum in a long time.
    It looked like rat ball or Dre+Roy when Dre yelled @ Roy to go. They didn't know how to play together, and Sarge didn't know how to play them together.(injuries to Roy played a part in this undoubtedly)

Turner played a lot off-the-ball and in the corners in Boston. When Thomas didn't have anything to run, they'd run Turner up to the elbow 3point line and Olynic/Johnson would set a pick. Or Turner would get a high post touch/screen on the right side of the floor.
    They ran those plays so often in Boston. It was even their go-to-play when they beat GSW at home and needed a bucket.
    Hopefully with Nurk we'll see some of this action this year.
    I saw very minimal opportunities like this first 20 or so games of the season. It was all high pick and roll for Turner. Frankly this is one criticism of Stotts I have, using Turner incorrectly.