Trade Idea Realistic trade options for summer of 2023

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpeScooterShooter, Apr 11, 2023.

1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I wonder if the best opportunities won't be until the trade deadline then? Or post-season? Would Portland be more likely to get who they want if they wait?

"This is all prelude to I think the next year in the NBA could be an unbelievable period of superstar and star player movement because you've just got a lot of sort of roiling situations," said Lowe on his podcast. "You have one year left before the really harsh trade rules kick into place after the 2023-24 season where teams over the second apron, like the Clippers, for instance, cannot even aggregate salaries. They can't add up money to bring in a big money player. That's starting after next season.

"I think we could see a ton of movement in the offseason and up to the deadline. And a ton of big names moving. That's not to say Embiid, but I think this going to be a hot and heavy offseason and people should buckle up."

Beyond the future of Embiid, there are also uncertain situations facing the likes of Damian Lillard, Luka Doncic, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Karl-Anthony Towns, Trae Young, Pascal Siakam, Julius Randle, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, DeMar DeRozan, Zach LaVine, Bradley Beal, OG Anunoby and Deandre Ayton, amongst others.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    How about this?

upload_2023-5-22_8-8-34.png

We trade a player and the #23 to Chicago to open up our futures.
    We send our #3 pick and a 2 future firsts to Phili, and we send a couple firsts to Brooklyn.

Portland:
    Embiid
    Bridges

Phili:
    Nurk/Little/Watford/#3/2 future 1sts.

Brooklyn:
    Simons/Johnson/2 future firsts

Dame/Sharpe/Bridges/Grant/Embiid

Mays/Thybulle/Reddish/Knox/Eubanks

That's close. Need a couple more big bodies.

I don't know the rules on trading future firsts. Could we attach two future firsts to each trade?

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Simmons brought up Simons and 3 for Brown on his podcast.

At least people are talking about it.

4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  5. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Do you think Brown can play the three? In the trade above your post, i almost went after Brown instead of Bridges, but if Sharpe is going to be starting at the two….
    Can Dame/Sharpe/Brown work? I went after Bridges because i think he can come cheaper and would likely fit better with Dame and Sharpe?

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think Brown comes cheaper since he will be a FA and clearly is not happy in Boston
    I think we have to include Nas to make the contracts work, but it would allow Boston to include Pritchard. (And we will need a backup PG)

7. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I always thought Bridges was bigger but he is smaller than brown, just has a 1” longer wingspan. So my thoughts are erroneous.
    If Brown is an easier get, it leaves more to go after embiid with.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Brown can definitely play the three.

"Brown measured a terrific 6-6 ½ without shoes, giving him ample size for a NBA small forward, to go along with a 6-11 ½ wingspan. He also weighs 217 pounds."

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Would only need someone like Keon but sure Nas is fine. Also wouldnt need any other fillers if we wait til July 1 and complete the trade a week after the draft and signing our pick.

I also think this is in play only if Charlotte takes Miller and leaves Scoot up for grabs.

10. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Yeah i looked them up after posting. I though Brown was a couple inches shorter than Bridges

Natebishop3 likes this.
  11. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Simons/#3 for Brown

unlock futures by sending the 23 & a player to chi.

Nurk/Little/Watford and four future firsts for Embiid? What else would Phili want?

12. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Sharpe

13. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Better talent?

14. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company

Neither Philly or Brooklyn would like that deal. Both Bridges and Embid would get a kings ransom if they are on the market and our table scraps aren’t getting us Embid. If we get Embid then Sharpe is going to Philly along with 3rd pick and likely 2 more picks

lamlor likes this.
  15. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Not a chance. Lol.

Yeah. Likely right. But sometimes teams looking to tear it down sell low to get rid of salary.

16. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    So swap brown for bridges in my trade scenario.

Make it happen Joe!!!!

how many future firsts would it take?

17. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think people should keep in mind, if Embiid becomes available there will be a bidding war.

He would have to say that he's only interested in playing for us.

1 Eye Jack and Pinwheel1 like this.
  18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

they do have a pretty tight expiration period for trading the pick, so that's 1st up. Once that pick is signed, that window moves to Aug-Sept

if, as so many seem to want around here, Dame asks out, I think it's pretty likely that wouldn't happen until later in the summer, or training camp. So, the most leverage the Blazers would have for trading Dame would probably be approaching next year's trade deadline

I think the Blazers are probably in Phase-Shift mode with each phase pivoting on what happened in the previous phase(s)

phase 1 - the 3rd pick. Blazers have obviously been exploring options for the pick since before the lottery. They are doing their due diligence on scouting draft prospects (Schmitz) while also exploring trade options (Cronin). It won't be just outgoing calls either; I think teams will be calling the Blazers to see if they can move up in the draft and get in the top-3. My hunch is the asking price for players that Portland would want will be too high (the price for Brown could be dropping though). So, right now, I'd say there was a better than even chance Portland will stay in the top part of the draft. Might change

phase 2a-->2b/Grant-->Dame
    . Cronin might have to be real deft at a spinning Kabuki dance here. Grant can be re-signed a week before Dame can be traded. I don't believe Grant will sign with Portland if Dame is going to be traded. It actually would make less sense for Portland than Grant. So, the Blazers might be exploring S&T options for Grant when Dame's window opens. I think the chances are pretty remote Dame gets triggered enough by the draft to demand a trade before July, but it's possible

phase 3 - the 'what do we do now' phase. Will it be the first time Portland has made an honest attempt to build around Dame? Or will it be a rebuild? And if a rebuild will the Blazers be smart enough to NOT straddle a rebuild/retool fence like they stupidly did in 2015?

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  19. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

Well stated. I still believe that for all of the poor Olshey decisions over the years, the real dagger was how much the Blazers overachieved in the year immediately following LMA's departure. If we had just been able to grab a few more high-end picks for two seasons before moving forward... And I can't even really blame Olshey for that, as he kind of did what you were supposed to do. He wanted to rebuild around Dame and CJ (who had just shown out against Memphis in the playoffs). He traded Batum for a young big in Plumlee. He took a gamble on young, underachieving Mo Harkless. He made value signings of Al Farouq-Aminu and a still young Ed Davis... neither of whom anyone could expect to drastically change the win total of that team. If you go back and look at the roster, it should have very clearly been a mid-lottery team at best. But Dame had other ideas in a down year in the West, and our timeline got majorly accelerated. And mid next season when reality started to set in, Nurk fever carried us back.

I still look back at those two seasons fondly, but it certainly hurt not getting another top-end talent in either of those two years.

20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I look at it a little differently. I was kind of on the fence about Olshey heading into the 2015 off-season. He had made max offers to Hibbert and Kanter (and then Monroe) and had built awful bargain bin benches, but I gave him a bit of a pass for those moves. But he made that stupid Batum trade; then he didn't even talk to Lopez as a free agent. And even though the Blazers got shellacked by Memphis in the playoffs all Olshey did was crow about CJ. His team just lost in the first round, badly, and Olshey was high as hell on an undersized SG who was absolutely terrible at defense and an OBVIOUS terrible match with Dame

that's when I turned on Olshey because I was pretty sure about what was coming...the Dame/CJ era....and all the failure that guaranteed, especially with the dumpster-diving Olshey in charge. And that's exactly what fucking happened for the next 7 seasons. 2015 was the pivot point and that feel-good-fake-out win against the injured Clippers team just cemented Olshey's stubborn idiot resolve to stick with CJ no matter what