Realistically, how much better can Dame and CJ get?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Jul 21, 2016.

?

How close are Dame and CJ to their respective ceilings?

1. They're already at their ceilings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Marginal improvements expected from both -- but they're pretty close

54.2%
  3. Substantial improvement expected from one, while the other plateaus (describe)

31.3%
  4. Massive improvement from both -- both become definitive top 10 players

14.6%
  1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Dame and Mac... Hmmm...

New nickname: Mac 'N Threes!

Eastoff, Dougnsalem, BBert and 2 others like this.
  2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think Dame and McGollum are near their ceilings offensively. I think that if they take significant steps forward, it'll be on defense and I think that's entirely possible. At their sizes, they'll never be lockdown wing defenders, but they don't have to be. Curry's not a lockdown defender...he's just worked on technique and off-ball court awareness to be decent, which is all the Warriors need alongside their very good defensive players. If the Blazers put together a good defensive frontcourt (and their existing front court players--Meyers aside--are good defenders), they just need Lillard and McCollum to be solid. I think that's easily within their grasp.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  3. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I think Dame is near his peak offensively, but there is no way CJ is near his after only playing big minutes this past year. He already has moves that other guys don't, and can only learn from experience playing against the best in the game. CJ has another level he hasn't touched yet. I'm not sure where that is, but it is something different and greater than where he is currently.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  4. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    Well, this forum is all about opinion and I may be wrong and I may be right - my view is that if Dame were able to penetrate against a tall Center, he'd finish 3 of 10 with a score or foul. CJ on the other hand, in my opinion, would finish 5 of 10. Both require improvement however I find it Dame's glaring problem.

5. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Interesting. I feel like CJ is better at finishing than Dame, but Dame is a better shooter than CJ.

6. BlazerCaravan

To my eyes, CJ is better at creating space for a shot, but Dame is better at getting the and one opportunity. CJ has a sweet drive too but doesn't get the and one respect yet.

PDXFonz likes this.
  7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Just get the stats, man. These are career #s

Dame:
    0-3 ft: 55.9%
    3-10 ft: 30.6%
    10-16 ft: 40.9%
    16'-3pt : 42.1%

CJ:
    0-3 ft: 52.3%
    3-10 ft: 42.7%
    10-16 ft: 47.6%
    16'-3pt : 42.0%

Dame's a better finisher at the rim, but CJ is better almost across the board everywhere else. That midrange game CJ has is sick, especially given that he goes to it very often.

Eastoff, PDXFonz and PtldPlatypus like this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

The best backcourt of all time... in two years.

Dougnsalem and BlazerCaravan like this.
  9. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Two can improve in all areas from not forcing things to better ball handling. Both can be sharper on passing to better getting over screens on defense. Dame scoring well properly stay the same but with better shot selections at times. CJ points will go for simple reason that he won't have to handle the ball as much with Turner in the lineup.

10. BlazerCaravan

The only reason Dame's at-rim % is better than CJ's is the fouling thing CJ avoids contact and doesn't get calls. Dame tries to get contact and now gets calls.

11. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Dame and CJ will develop individually into smarter players, savvy vets.

However, their biggest improvement may be chemistry development and team play. Think Malone/Stockton. Ever team knew what the Jazz were going to do. New defensive strategies where developed to try to stop them. However, Malone and Stockton found ways to beat every defense thrown at them.

Dame and CJ will learn to identify defenses, and have strategies in place to beat all of them. A team might slow down one of them. But they will not be able to stop both.

Eastoff, Dougnsalem, PCmor7 and 2 others like this.
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

For a guard offense is more important though.

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    And shooting from the shooting guard is kind of important.

BonesJones likes this.
  14. illmatic99

And now Dame is in Boise working out presumably with his former head coach at Weber State (who is now an assistant at Boise State).

Of all the places to go workout in the summer.... fuckin Boise? I can just see him staying in a podunk 3 star Best Western for a week.

Jeez.

Dame is one strange dude.

15. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Boise, ID is much less podunk than Ogden, UT so I guess you could say Dame is used to it by now. He is all about focusing.

illmatic99 and Orion Bailey like this.
  16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

[​IMG]
    That's our dude! lol

17. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

They will both make significant improvement this season, for different reasons. For anyone who says they have peaked, or nearly peaked, offensively, I disagree.

While obviously not his rookie year, last season was the first time C.J. played over 1000 minutes in the NBA. He missed over half his rookie year, including most of training camp and all of the preseason. In the 38 games he played in, he only averaged 12.5 MPG. In his second season, he averaged 15.7 MPG in 62 games. Last year he played 2780 minutes (34.8 MPG) in 80 games, almost triple his previous career high for minutes played.

I bring this up for a reason. Most players see their per minute production and efficiency go down, often substantially, with a dramatic increase in playing time - especially when you move from a bench role into the starting line up, when you now have to share the ball with other quality teammates and you are guarding and being guarded by the other teams' best players.

C.J. has been exactly the opposite. With his dramatic increase in playing time, his production has skyrocketed and his efficiency improved. His PER has jumped from 9.0 to 13.1 to 17.7. That's a nice trend and one that still has room for improvement. All, and I mean ALL, of his shooting percentages have gone up every year. Here they are:

2013-14: .416 FG%, .375 3FG%, .676 FT%, .521 TS%, .500 eFG%
    2014-15: .436 FG%, .396 3FG%, .699 FT%, .534 TS%, .511, eFG%
    2015-16: .448 FG%, .416 3FG%, .827 FT%, .544 TS%, .517 eFG%

All that while moving from the bench to starting, and seeing very significant increases in his playing time and USG%. His per 36 scoring and assist numbers are also up significantly:

2013-14: 15.2 pts/36, 2.0 ast/36
    2014-15: 15.7 pts/36, 2.4 ast/36
    2015-16: 21.6 pts/36, 4.4 ast/36

This is also mirrored in his per 100 possession and AST% increases, all while more than doubling his MPG and seeing a significant jump in his USG%:

2013-14: 21.4pts/100 ppossessions, 2.9 ast/100 possessions
    2014-15: 22.2 pts/100 possessions, 3.4 ast/100 possessions
    2015-16: 30.0 pts/100 possessions, 6.1 ast/100 possessions

2013-14: 8.7 AST%, 20.9 USG%
    2014-15: 10.3 AST%, 20.5 USG%
    2015-16: 21.6 AST%, 27.1 USG%

He is using far more possessions and using them far more efficiently and doing it against tougher competition.

That's very rare, for any player at any age, but given that he's still young and gaining experience, it bodes well for a couple more years of significant improvement before he enters his prime. With only one year as a starter, it would be very unusual for him to have reached his peak in such a rapid manner.

With Aldridge gone, Dame officially became our number 1 option on offense last season. His MPG have remained constant at 35.7 - 35.8 over the last three seasons, but his FGA/G and USG% were both at career high levels after the Aldridge defection. Like C.J. his PER has increased every year, from 16.4 to 18.6 to 20.7 to 22.2, and that's encouraging. His per 36 minute and per 100 possession numbers for scoring and assists were also at new career highs. Other than his AST%, which was also at a career high, his efficiency has remained relatively unchanged his four years in the league. His TS% and eFG% numbers have been remarkably consistent. Being the number 1 option on offense means more defensive pressure than ever as opposing teams game plan around stopping you and getting the ball out of your hands. The good news, is while his role increased even more, his overall production also increased without his efficiency suffering. He also had a significant jump in his AST% rate from 29.0 to 33.6. So, he wasn't just scoring more, he was also creating more scoring opportunities for his teammates.

So, where will Lillard's improvement come from - greater efficiency. Specifically, better shooting percentages, and it really doesn't have much to do with him. Although Dame has shown he's a tirelessly hard worker, his improvement in shooting percentages will come from more open, catch and shoot opportunities. Some will say that's just better shot selection, but it's more than that. It's all about the make up of the roster.

Blaz06Draft did a great job summarizing the advantage for catch and shoot opportunities and how the addition of Evan Turner will create more such opportunities. In summary, players shoot significantly higher percentages when they have an open shot with their feet set and shoulders square to the basket. No mystery in that. Blaz06Draft, showed that in terms of assist points created per minute from the forward position Evan Turner ranks with Draymod Green and LeBron as the best in the game. So, just having Turner in the starting line up should improve Dame's shooting percentages, and therefore, his efficiency.

But there's more to it than that. With both Turner and C.J. on the team, it will allow Dame to play off the ball more than at any time during his career. This is the first time in his career that Dame has TWO other teammates that can run the offense. Which means at least one of them will be on the floor with Dame at almost all times - a luxury he has never had in his NBA career. Remember how bad our bench was Dame's first two years? It often looked like he was playing 1-5 with 4 guys who couldn't score in double digits if left unguarded in an empty gym. Near the end of his rookie year, Eric Maynor made a brief appearance on the Blazers roster, and Dame's shooting percentages shot way up as he was allowed to play off the ball more. But, that only last briefly.

By his second year, the rotation was set with Nic at SF, as the secondary ballhandler/distributor and Wes, a decidedly poor ballhandler/distributor at the SG position. Because of a lack of ball handlers at the top of our rotation it left very little opportunity for Dame to play off the ball. Either one of Dame or Nic had to be on the floor at all times, which meant that whenever Nic rested Dame was out there by himself again with the bench unit. Last year, we replaced Wes' lack of ballhanding with C.J., but lost Nic as a ball handler. So, once again, with only one other decent ball handler at the top of our rotation, teams could key on shutting down Dame when C.J. came out (and vice versa).

Enter Evan Turner. He can handle the ball and create and distribute every bit as well as Nic, and in some ways better. Combine Turner at the 3 and C.J., at the 2 and for the first time in his career, Dame has the luxury of playing off the ball at any and all times. And, it's not just that Turner and C.J, can dribble, pass and run an offense, it's the way they do it that will create higher percentage looks for Dame. Both C.J. and Turner can penetrate and collapse a defense. That was never Nic's strong point. The fact that he rarely attacked the paint was one of the biggest criticisms of his game from many posters in this forum. Rather than attack the rim, Nic would glide around the perimeter and use his length to pass over the defense. We've all seen the way C.J. uses his exceptional handles to penetrate and collapse the defense. Turner is the same way. Like C.J., he has a strong midrange game, but I can't remember the last time we had a player of his size that could penetrate and finish in the paint like Turner.

So, with both C.J. and Turner able to penetrate and collapse the defense, it will create many open catch and shoot opportunities for Dame. The wide open 3-point catch and shoot has become the deadliest weapon in basketball. Golden State has perfected it. Everyone talks about Steph Curry's huge improvement the last two seasons and how a player, even after the age of 25 can make the leap from not even being an all star to being a two time MVP. Yes, Curry and Thompson are both great shooters, but they both made huge jumps once GSW added Livingston and Draymond Green emerged as player that could penetrate, collapse defenses and kick out to the wide open 3-point shooters. Yes, Curry can create his own shot, but so can Dame. That's not the point. Both are even more deadly when someone else does the work of collapsing the defense for them and then delivers the ball for a wide open, feet set, shoulders squared, catch and shoot 3-pointer. With the addition of Turner and the emergence of C.J., Dame will now have that same luxury on a much more regular basis, and that's where his improved efficiency will come from.

BNM

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  18. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

This needs to be on the website... god damn.

dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

A big part of both Dame and CJ's growth will depend on the calls they get by the refs. I see the refs calling 2-3 more fouls a game for Lillard and 1-2 more fouls a game for CJ. That alone will increase Lillard's scoring average by 4-5pts a game. CJ's scoring average should increase about the same because of all around improvement.

20. illmatic99

Bump. Looks like both can get better.

The efficiency improvements are amazing.

Dame is currently sitting at 50/40/89.99, 29.9 PER
    CJ is at 46/46/89, 19.3 PER

I really hope this lasts the entire year. Dame's 30 PER looks unsustainable, but if he can get to around 25-27 for the year, and CJ can get above 20, we will be unstoppable.

It's exactly what we need to make a leap to contender level.