Realization...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I just had a realization...

I thought there was no way we would be able to get a dominant PF down low but we actually do have some valuable pieces.

1. I like Harrington as a 3, but not as a 4. I want an above the rim player like Amare or something. Maybe we can package him for someone else. Or keep him at the 3 and get a solid PF

2. I like Jackson's ball handling/passing abilities, but he does not have a consistent 3pt shot like Harrington. Neither of them make their layups or play above the rim. I would like an above the rim player at either the 3 or the 4. I would not mind getting that guy from Portland (Ratliff?)

3. Jrich is the heart of this team, but does he fit. At least now he has shown some signs that he has regained his old form. Can he be a valuable piece to package with one of the above players? All of the teams trade values will significantly rise if we make the playoffs.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If we moved all three and got a Dwight Howard or an Amare, I'd be ecstatic. I just hope whoever makes that trade knows exactly what he's getting.

We don't want no absolute dummies like Chris Washburn or just guys with no skills like Jerome Moiso who have potential, but are just real apathetic. Strong motor like Biedrins, but better body and more basic skills like shooting. We all know a power forward that can't shoot is a center (unfortunately).

3. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I wouldn't mind holding onto SJax unless he's the difference-maker in a trade. I like his hard-nosed, confident game. He makes good decisions with the ball and is solid on the fast break, we need more of that, especially with Baron being often injured. If you ask me, I think he's actually our second-best "point guard" right now. And I think if you look at the difference from when he arrived here to now, you'd have to say he's refining his game and getting better (better passes, fewer random three-pointers). Over the last 10 games, he's averaging 6.4 assists per game and shooting 46% from the field. He's not perfect, but I like his game, and he's also a solid freethrow shooter and one of our better defenders, two other areas the Warriors are in desperate need of. Have you noticed since the trade no one has been regularly groaning about the Warriors poor freethrow shooting losing games for us? Curious, because all four guys we shipped out shoot around 80%, but somehow the team seems more confident at the line now.

Anyway back to the original topic...it still seems like the possibility of getting ourselves a top-tier big man (without giving up Biedrins which would defeat the purpose) is very, very remote. Maybe not impossible, but pretty close to a pipe-dream for all practical purposes.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Well, perhaps we'll get a sleeper in the draft. Who knows? The way it's going right now, the Warriors are actually in a position of strength, IMO, when it comes to off-season moves. You can even see the daylight at the end of Foyle's contract... Their pieces are becoming valuable, and will be moveable if they so choose. Plus, if POB develops on par, and Powell steps up, the GS frontline suddenly looks a lot more respectable. We'll see.

5. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

My love for Sjax grows more and more game by game. That guy stepped up and said the right things from the start when he addressed the crowd. Everyone thought he would ruin this team, but he has been the glue and the team has drawn from his leadership and his defense...

6. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I couldn't agree more. I think you "toss in" a Zarko/POB/Pietrus but not Jackson. He actually gives this team something it hasn't had since Larry Smith, a bad a$$ player with skill.

7. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

If Jackson were to be traded, that wouldn't bother me so much, as long as we got another forward that an play defense. Jackson's decision making on offense is troublesome to me.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Montaman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If Jackson were to be traded, that wouldn't bother me so much, as long as we got another forward that an play defense. Jackson's decision making on offense is troublesome to me.</div>

I respect where you're coming from, but I happen to disagree.

Jackson is a terrific teammate on offense, IMO. He is constantly setting up Biedrins (he's AB's new best friend), often tallying 5 or 6 assists a game, lately. Yes he does shoot alot from outside, but you know what? He's probably the Warriors second best pure outside shooter, behind Harrington and alongside Sarunas.

Even Powell is an excellent mid-range shooter,which leads to one of my side-points that the four players we got from the Pacers became the four best shooters on this team, IMO. Heh.

But back to Jax -- yes, he does shoot alot but someone needs to take those shots, and more importantly nail some, and last night SJax was probably the main reason why GS won, simply because he was willing to take and hit big outside shots all night. Pietrus, too.

But as far as decision making, IMO he's actually one of the better play-makers on the team as far as creating in traffic and dumping it off. He runs the pick-n-roll with Biedrins almost as well as Baron and Sarunas do. He even knows how to fade with his dribble, pause, wait for the second defender to hedge, and then split the two defenders with a low bounce pass. That's a PG type of play, and SJax makes it routinely.

At times, when the shots don't fall, it looks a little frustrating because, well, it always does when shots don't fall, no matter who the player.

But IMO SJax has been a VERY important part to this team's success and I would like to see him stay.

9. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I judge Jax on this thuggish behavior in the Palace melee and the other stuff. But he won a ring with the Spurs as a starter, not some mop up guy. He knows how to play winning basketball. He makes very nice pick 'n roll passes and some tough D. Yeah he jacks up some shots, but he can create his jumper when the shot clock is winding down (don't ask Pietrus to do that) and he's not Derek Fisher.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Also already mentioned is that Sjax and Jrich are swingmen that can interchange with each other on defensive assigments or offensive roles. Before, Jamison and Dunleavy could not do this. Not enough skills or not quick enough.