Rebuild Around Dame

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Jan 5, 2022.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Super religious people with chronic knee injuries are even worse.

STOMP

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

1 ACL tear = "chronic"? Interesting.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

He's missed the last two seasons with that supposed single injury playing in less then half of the Magic's games since he was drafted in 2017. Can you name one player in the history of hoops who has missed similar time to knee injury(ies?) and come back to enjoy playing at anywhere close to their former abilities? I can't.

STOMP

4. PtldPlatypus

And obviously, any trade for him would be contingent on extensive testing and validation of his knee and hamstring health. But if he can pass the tests that a smart front office would require (questionable whether we have one of those, but I digress), then I think it'd be worth a shot.

5. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

An ACL that he's still rehabbing 21 months after the injury is a pretty big red flag. Now with a hamstring injury that needed even a minor surgery, he has to be seen as a huge injury risk with questionable soft tissue integrity.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...is-season-has-procedure-on-injured-hamstring/

I just don't know how any team can take a gamble on him unless it's just a complete salary dump on Orlando's part but I don't see why the Magic would take that gamble unless they know for sure the knee is shot. So in short I don't think there is any way he gets moved. No one can feel good about giving up anything of real value for him and if the Magic are willing to just dump him then he probably just eats up 17.4M of a team's cap every season for the next three seasons.

I mean I guess his management or the Magic could release some video of him showing what he's got on court, if he's ready to go but they were just holding him out to tank and then he could hold some value but if he is the Isaac he was before 17.4M is good value and I don't know why the Magic would trade him in that situation. Basically I don't think players making this kind of money on a multiyear contract ever get traded after sitting out two years before being seen in live NBA action and rebuilding their value.

6. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

You dodged my question... interesting.

Are you pining for Isaac for the cultural wars that he'd bring as an outspoken asshat or because you actually think he'll ball at a high level again?

STOMP

7. PtldPlatypus

I "dodged your question" because I assumed it was rhetorical, since you and I both already knew the answer thereto.

Also, it's disingenuous to claim that me saying a trade for him would "be worth a shot" equates to me "pining for Isaac". You're better than that.

All that aside, I do believe that if his knee is healthy there would be a decent chance of him playing at a level better than any forward we've had since Aldridge (a low bar to clear, I understand). Obviously, if you looked at the trade prop I put out there, I'm not advocating giving up a ton for him. He's not an "all-in" type piece. I simply see him as a low-risk/high-reward option, if Orlando is looking to move off his contract to make room for other young frontcourt players without similar injury histories (including the top-3 draftee they're likely to have this summer).

8. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So much for THAT:

Back surgery is career-threatening at the very least.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  9. PtldPlatypus

More likely to play another full season--Simmons or MPJ?

10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

back surgery for Simmons?

my oh my, the return the Nets got for Harden keeps getting worse

and maybe Simmons wasn't just dogging it this season

AldoTrapani and Phatguysrule like this.
  11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Why would you think that? Have we met? I don't know you or your motivations, but knee injuries that linger for a young player are historically not an opportunity to swoop in for value. I pointed this out and you persisted downplaying the severity of his injury.

Even in retrospect, my guessing you might have alternative reasons to pursue him seems reasonable. If he didn't have the knee injury issues, of course everyone including the Magic would be very interested in having him in their mix. I hope he bucks the odds but reality sucks some times.

STOMP

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

You can't just sign-and-trade Nurkic and Ant wherever, Phoenix isn't giving up Ayton for nothing, neither is Brooklyn with their main piece back for Harden. You can't trade a pick with a player that's being sign-and-traded due to timeline/tampering issues. You also get hard-capped if you sign and trade for a player and Dame, Simmons, Ayton, Hart, the #1 pick, dead money, and minimum roster spots would already be past that. Also, Nurkic and Simons contracts wouldn't be able to match $60M+ in incoming salary. Basically, the whole thing doesn't make sense, but things like this have been explained ad nauseum throughout this forum (which is pretty smart CBA wise) that I felt no motivation to go through explaining everything wrong with it.

13. PtldPlatypus

I thought the hard cap for S/T was only for teams receiving a player in such a manner. You're saying a team sending a S/T player out is also hard-capped? That's (unfortunate) news to me.

14. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

He's saying "And Dame, Simmons, Ayton, etc would be past that"
    You have to put the whole situation into place.
    The Blazers best trade asset was CJ and they didn't get as much as many might have liked.

15. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

No. That's not what I'm saying. DeAndre Ayton is a free agent this summer. Thus, we'd be sign and trading for him.

blazerkor likes this.
  16. PtldPlatypus

Ah, gotcha. Somehow I had forgotten or been unaware of that.

Thanks

17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    ?

Who said they were?

Again, nobody said they were. But the "main piece back for Harden" is having back surgery and may have alienated his teammates. If you stubbornly hold on to him for sunk cost reasons, then you're an idiot.

This is genuine information! Can you give me a link to an explainer? I'd like to understand the "issues". (Of course, it would be irrelevant in the case of Ayton because he can't be signed before the draft, so we'd be trading the player we picked in the draft. And if the pick is traded to get Simmons, well, he's not being signed-and-traded.)

For one season, yes. But we would be left with practically the entire team we were playing as our actual team (and will be playing as our SL team) as our bench. We can handle one season with a bench of guys like Brandon Williams, Drew Eubanks, Trendon Watford, Keon Johnson et. al.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that rule before

so, Blazers could not S&T Simons + Bledsoe + Milwaukee pick for a player?

19. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

This is why I said “You have to put the whole situation in place”
    Too many variables to make those kind of blanket statements. There are always more ways to make things happen.

20. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

They definitely could. I think bones probably meant not our current lotto pick.

PtldPlatypus likes this.