Recruiting Watch: Five Star Miles Commits to UConn

Discussion in 'College Recruiting and Prospects' started by J_Ray, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Anybody have anything on LSU committments? I couldnt find any on rivalhoops.com or some other sites I checked out. But I did find out that Terry Martin Jr. transferred to LSU a while back and will be with them next season.

2. gocelts34

gocelts34 BBW Member

Dukes got Gerald Henderson, Brian Zoubek, and Jon Scheyer coming in next year. I like Henderson, he looks like a nice, athletic, explosive shooting guard that will make some plays with Paulus on the fast break. This class is nothing special compared to last years class, but we do have some nice ball players coming in.

3. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Darrell Arthur down to 5

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Darrell Arthur- As one of only two unsigned guys in the game, each and every one of ?Shady?s? moves is being scrutinized. Sometimes he gets blasted for not giving maximum effort when in reality it?s more of a situation where his athletic gifts make everything he does look easier than it should.

The only thing quicker than his release on his patented baseline jumper is how quickly he gets off the floor. He delivered a top five of Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas but the jury is still out on how seriously he?s considering recent entrants Arizona and Oklahoma. </div>

Scout.com article for McDonald's All-American week-Day one

Zona still in it! I hope they can pull something out of their ass here, it'd be sweet to have some halfway decent post.

4. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Cats are still finalists for two big men recruits. Both Lance Thomas and Darrell Arthur have the Cats among their finalists. Both seem to be long shots as well. It is expected that Thomas will choose between Duke and Rutgers, while Texas and Kansas are thought to have slim leads for Arthur. The good news is that Arthur appears to be planning a visit to Tucson before any decision is made and that could bode well for the Cats. </div>

Scout.com

Arthur still going to visit Tucson before his decision, I hope that will increase our chances considering we loose Walters and Radenovic in a year [​IMG]

5. Buckets

Nobody can help me find out if my team is getting anyone?

6. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">Nobody can help me find out if my team is getting anyone?</div>

Sure I'll tell you who they're getting, absolutely no one [​IMG] I guess they didn't need anyone because they don't have any commitments yet this year.

They're still in the running for these guys:
    Cordell Pope
    Chris Brown
    Johnthan Hall

first 2 are 3 star players last one is a 2 star, nothing special [​IMG]

7. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Tyrus Thomas was a 3 star player who was recruited by teams such as North Texas, Tulane, Oregon State, Penn State, Virginia, and Western Kentucky and that's it. Brady knows what he's doing when he recruits.

8. Buckets

Thanks J_Ray.

Cordell Pope looks like a good player I hope we get him, but with Terry Martin Jr. having him as a backup would be nice, Tasmin Mitchell will be good next year but another talented wing player is never bad.

9. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks J_Ray.

Cordell Pope looks like a good player I hope we get him, but with Terry Martin Jr. having him as a backup would be nice, Tasmin Mitchell will be good next year but another talented wing player is never bad.</div>

Don't LSU have a strong class from last year with Rolle? They should be ok [​IMG]

10. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GatorsowntheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">Tyrus Thomas was a 3 star player who was recruited by teams such as North Texas, Tulane, Oregon State, Penn State, Virginia, and Western Kentucky and that's it. Brady knows what he's doing when he recruits.</div>

I have to paraphrase what Skip Bayless said the other day on this one: Brady is a lot like Guy Lewis (Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma Coach for those of you too young to remember). He's someone who just had a bunch of local talent fall into his lap, then rolled the ball out there and let them do what they want with it. He's not much of a coach, and he's not much of a recruiter. He's just the guy in the right place at the righ time.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add that Tyrus Thomas, the Baton Rouge native, grew two inches as a redshirt freshman. As an incoming recruit, he was only 6-7.

This conversation is similar to what they were saying last night at the dunk contest when they were talking about the amazing job John Calipari did to find Rodney Carney, when in actuality, he was headed to Indiana, until he couldn't meet the academic requirements, and then Calipari pounced on the chance to have a player who the Hoosiers were interested in.

11. Buckets

Rolle, Voogd and Tasmin Mitchell I think were there three guys they got this year, but Im not sure if Voogd was actually a freshman or its just a fragment of my imagination, but Rolle and Tasmin Mitchell are both nice, Garrett Temple is improving also so were not screwed yet, but I still hope Glen Davis comes back for another year or two even though Tyrus is leaving.

12. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

Ben is a Frosh. Rolle, though highly recruited, didn't play much. He needs to get stronger. He's what, 6-10 but about 190? They will be ok even if Davis and Thomas bolt. Mitchell will be the face of the program, Temple, Rolle, Voogd, those four alone, with the experience they got this season, will form a strong nucleus for the Tigers the coming years.

13. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

You're seeing a lot of coaches these days go across the country to land players but Brady has got a ton of players from Baton Rouge and actually almost all (might be all) of his players come from within 60 miles of the LSU campus, impressive job of recruiting local talent if you ask me. Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas, Tasmin Mitchell, Garett Temple, and Darrel Mitchell are all from the Baton Rouge area and are all part of a title run. Pretty good job recruiting if you ask me.

In conclusion, Buckets don't worry about your teams future. Brady knows how to dig through the rough and find local talent that can lead his team to the top.

14. Buckets

Thanks, C.K.

And yes most of the LSU squad is from within 15 Miles of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I look forward to seeing what Garrett Temple could do if he had a jumpshot and how Magnum will do once he bulks up and gets more minutes.

Also, I cant wait for North Carolina next season, C.K.'s got one of my favorite high school ballers in his sig and they have such a good recruiting class this year, but the main reason Im going back to loving my beloved Tar Heels is because of Brandan Wright, The kid from Tennessee, he'll be nuts when he players there.

15. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks, C.K.

And yes most of the LSU squad is from within 15 Miles of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I look forward to seeing what Garrett Temple could do if he had a jumpshot and how Magnum will do once he bulks up and gets more minutes.

Also, I cant wait for North Carolina next season, C.K.'s got one of my favorite high school ballers in his sig and they have such a good recruiting class this year, but the main reason Im going back to loving my beloved Tar Heels is because of Brandan Wright, The kid from Tennessee, he'll be nuts when he players there.</div>

You know everyone is saying how good UNC will be but everyone is overlooking Kansas and Texas, even Zona and UCLA have great young talent, but whoever gets Darrell Arthur out of the 3 teams he's still considering, Kansas, Texas and barely considering Zona but he's going to visit Zona before his decision [​IMG] I really believe UCLA is going to be fun to watch if they can keep everyone.

16. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">Thanks, C.K.

Also, I cant wait for North Carolina next season, C.K.'s got one of my favorite high school ballers in his sig and they have such a good recruiting class this year, but the main reason Im going back to loving my beloved Tar Heels is because of Brandan Wright, The kid from Tennessee, he'll be nuts when he players there.</div>

I've seen Wright play several times this season and last, and from what I saw, he probably wasn't even one of the three best players in the state this season. Maybe he'll benefit from having Hansbrough take some of the pressure off him, but he's not really assertive enough and is too weak to be a go-to-guy or anything special right away. He also lacks a serious post-up game at this point, yet his ballhandling is weak and his range is limited to about fifteen feet out. He's high on a lot of draft boards because of his size and athleticism, but I really see him as more of a project; someone who needs two to three years of college to make a name for himself and not an impact freshman.

17. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">I've seen Wright play several times this season and last, and from what I saw, he probably wasn't even one of the three best players in the state this season. Maybe he'll benefit from having Hansbrough take some of the pressure off him, but he's not really assertive enough and is too weak to be a go-to-guy or anything special right away. He also lacks a serious post-up game at this point, yet his ballhandling is weak and his range is limited to about fifteen feet out. He's high on a lot of draft boards because of his size and athleticism, but I really see him as more of a project; someone who needs two to three years of college to make a name for himself and not an impact freshman.</div>

Sounds like Rolle for LSU or Walters at Zona, sometimes they never develop either and they end up being average players. If it's true what you say, UNC still might be the same in the post [​IMG]

18. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dallas forward Darrell Arthur still has not determined if he will take an unofficial visit to the UA. The Wildcats had hoped to host the McDonald's All-America forward this weekend.</div>

Source

The part is at the very bottom [​IMG]

19. J_Ray

Ramar Smith commits to Tennessee

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Duke Crews worked him over and helped the cause. The Tennessee Volunteers have another Top 50 pledge, this one comes from the Motor City.

Duke Crews knew it on Sunday or at least he had a good idea it was going to happen. ?I think its close,? Crews said at the Boo Williams Invitational.
    What Crews was referring to is a commitment by Detroit King Ramar Smith to the Tennessee Volunteers. Crews, who will appear on Fox Sports South?s ?Countdown To Signing Day? this Wednesday, was quite proud of himself and his efforts over the weekend. Scout.com?s No. 36 prospect was on campus at Tennessee as the Volunteers hosted Smith.

On Monday morning, a source confirmed the news to Scout.com: Ramar Smith is a Volunteer.

The 6-foot-3 Smith is a four-year starter and the Detroit News describes him as one of the PSL?s most dominant players the last 3 seasons. He?ll be a Top 50 recruit when Scout.com releases its final rankings in a few weeks.

Smith joins Crews, Wayne Chism and Marques Johnson as Top 100 recruits headed to Knoxville to play for Bruce Pearl next season. The Vols also have guard Josh Tabb out of prep school in the mix and committed to come.

Smith averaged 23.4 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5 assists as a senior for King. He was once committed to Connecticut but the verbal evaporated and he went back on the board with programs like Arkansas and a host of others </div>

Scout.com

Bruce Pearl is going to be good for awhile down there in Knoxville [​IMG]

20. J_Ray

Micheal Beasley, #2 recruit in 07 (Mayo's class) has backed out of his commitment to Charlotte. His new favorite.....Kansas St! I they can get him, Mayo, and Walker they'd be insane, then the #9 recruit wants to go there too from what I heard.