Recruiting Watch: Five Star Miles Commits to UConn

Discussion in 'College Recruiting and Prospects' started by J_Ray, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Micheal Beasley, #2 recruit in 07 (Mayo's class) has backed out of his commitment to Charlotte. His new favorite.....Kansas St! I they can get him, Mayo, and Walker they'd be insane, then the #9 recruit wants to go there too from what I heard.</div>
    On Huggins' second day on the job, he hired one of Charlotte's assistants, who basically brought Beasley in...so Beasley is pretty much a Wildcat pending him signing his LOI.

2. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">5-star center Jason Bennett chooses K-State

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Jason Bennett, a 7-foot-3 center from Jacksonville, signed a national letter of intent Wednesday to play for Kansas State and new coach Bob Huggins.

He chose the Wildcats over Auburn, becoming the first player to join Huggins at Kansas State since he took the job last month.

Huggins turned the Cincinnati Bearcats into a national power during 16 sometimes-stormy years, but he was out of work a year after the school refused to extend his four-year contract rollover following his arrest and conviction for drunken driving in 2004.

Bennett verbally committed to play at Cincinnati last year but decided to follow Huggins to Kansas State.

"I saw what they did with their big man as far as teaching him and helping him gain weight and get stronger," Bennett said during a signing ceremony at his high school. "Coach Huggins has gotten a lot of players to the NBA. I think he can get another one there."

Bennett averaged 12.5 points, 13 rebounds and eight blocks last season and led Arlington Country Day to a second consecutive Class 2A state championship.</div>
    Full Story

3. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I added a new site link to the first post....just thought you'd like to know. Here's an article on a sophomore player from Canada that's insane from what I hear.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">There's plenty that's noteworthy about Community Christian School sophomore shooting guard Olu Ashaolu's young high school career. But there are two tidbits you need to know to comprehend just how real his deal is.

In the 2004 National Association of Christian Athletes title game against a loaded Mount Zion Christian Academy (Durham, N.C.) squad that included current Kansas freshman swingman Brandon Rush, Ashaolu shrugged off the pressure, scoring 26 points and ripping down 14 rebounds in a losing effort. And this was as an eighth-grader.

In the NACA consolation game last spring, Ashaolu's primary assignment was to defend Gulf Shores Academy (Houston) guard Gerald Green, who went on to become the 18th pick in the 2005 NBA draft, by the Boston Celtics. Green, who averaged 33 points per game last season, finished with only 14 in a 97-76 Community Christian win.

Armed with that pair of anecdotes, anyone can reach the same conclusion we have: Olu Ashaolu (pronounced oh-loo ash-eh-loo) has as much upside as any underclassman in recent memory.

"He's definitely a pro prospect already, and he ranks right up there with anyone else who is," says Community Christian third-year head coach Linzy Davis. "As a sophomore, he's already ahead of the pace someone like [Washington Wizards swingman] Jarvis Hayes was at this stage. I'd say he's about on course with where Carmelo Anthony was. Olu brings a different game to the court than either of them, but I think he's a better athlete than both."

That clunk you just heard was a lot of jaws dropping to the floor. How in the name of Steve Nash can a kid from Canada be drawing comparisons to 'Melo?

"People always tell me we've got nothing up there but hockey and snow, but Canada has good players," says the 6-foot-7, 220-pound Ashaolu, a native of Nigeria who was raised in Toronto and represented Team Canada at the 2005 International Sports Invitational in California and at the 2004 Nike Junior World Basketball Championships in France. "We've got a lot of Division I players here in the U.S. And when anyone starts giving me a really hard time, I just say, 'Hey, Steve Nash. MVP.' That guy got one scholarship offer and became the NBA MVP."

For the record, Nash grew up in Canada's British Columbia before attending Santa Clara and eventually becoming the Phoenix Suns' star point guard. And this season, about 100 Canadian talents are playing Division I men's college basketball.

Of course, negotiating the cultural divide between Toronto, a cosmopolitan city of roughly 2.5 million, and Stockbridge, a little Georgia burg of about 13,000, wasn't exactly a walk in the park for Ashaolu when he arrived from Canada more than two years ago.

"When he came here, he was very young and had a bit of a chip on his shoulder," says Davis, 46, co-director of the AAU program Nike Team Georgia Elite. "He had the baggy pants hanging below the waist and he didn't have a lot of discipline. But he turned his life around. His commitment to excellence has been phenomenal. He's an honor roll student and a very clean-cut young guy. He's really our poster boy for young men who need guidance but can thrive in the right environment."</div>

Source

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ashaolu, who will turn 17 on April 18, was invited last winter to the Canadian Junior Men's National Team Development Camp to try out for the squad that will represent Canada at the 2006 FIBA Americas Under-18 World Championship Qualification Tournament. He averaged 26 points, 13 rebounds and four assists a game as a freshman a year ago and currently lists LSU, North Carolina, Syracuse, Arizona and Michigan State among his college favorites.</div>

I read in the article that he's got a 7'1" wingspan and his comparison athletic wise is up with the likes of Carney. Next Iggy anyone?

4. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

LSU!!! I love this guy, I have clips of him somewhere on my computer or I used to and yea him and Junior Cadougan are going to be good.

5. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">LSU!!! I love this guy, I have clips of him somewhere on my computer or I used to and yea him and Junior Cadougan are going to be good.</div>

From what I hear, they're quite the team, I wish I could see them up close [​IMG]

6. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Kansas State is starting to recruit already. Jason Bennett, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, and Bill Walker, wow.

7. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Houston has been the center of the recruiting universe over the last few years - and little will change this year as the Kingwood Classic gets underway on Friday night and goes through Sunday.

When you think of the spring and places to see most of nation?s elite high school basketball talent, it?s become commonplace to think about Hal Pastner?s Kingwood Classic ? and this year is no different.
    Pastner will have more than 600 teams in attendance at the 12th annual event, which begins tomorrow night at numerous gyms throughout Houston.

We?ll get our first look at Portland Legends forward Kyle Singler ? as well as his former running mate, big man Kevin Love, who is playing with the Southern Cal All-Stars. Michael Jordan?s son, Jeffrey Jordan, is expected to suit up for the Rising Stars out of Chicago. The top local draw is Aldine High power forward Gary Johnson of the Houston Hoops.

Things get underway on Friday night with a few intriguing matchups at 6:30 p.m. ? the Fox Valley Skillz, which boast big man Keaton Nankovil, go up against Houston Select while Blessed IJN faces Minnesota Magic Elite.

Love?s SoCal All-Stars and the SYF Players out of Indiana will play at 7:40 while Singler?s Portland Elite Legends go up against the Miami Tropics at 10 p.m.

But the action really gets heated on Saturday when the college coaches come out in full force.

We?ll have the action covered and will be certain to uncover some hidden gems, so check back for daily updates on the biggest tournament of the spring. </div>

So this is how Pastner gets these wonderful guys from Texas [​IMG]

8. KICKSDADDY613

KICKSDADDY613 JBB JustBBall Member

Junior is livin in ATL now, and him and an old friend from Canada (can't remember the name) said they always wanted to go to UNC and if UNC offered them a scholorship, they'd both go there. Don't know what the status is on that, or how hard they are recruiting the 2, but it'd be a nice coup to add in '07.

9. dukefan04

dukefan04 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting C.K.:</div><div class="quote_post">You're seeing a lot of coaches these days go across the country to land players but Brady has got a ton of players from Baton Rouge and actually almost all (might be all) of his players come from within 60 miles of the LSU campus, impressive job of recruiting local talent if you ask me. Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas, Tasmin Mitchell, Garett Temple, and Darrel Mitchell are all from the Baton Rouge area and are all part of a title run. Pretty good job recruiting if you ask me.

In conclusion, Buckets don't worry about your teams future. Brady knows how to dig through the rough and find local talent that can lead his team to the top.</div>

Actually, most of the freshman and sophmores for LSU all played on the same AAU teams... The almost all already knew each other... and there is only 4 players that arent form Baton Rouge and 2 of them are from like Denham Springs ( i think that is how u spell it)... I live in Louisiana bout 30 minutes away form LSU but im a huge DUKE fan... My family hates it... but because of my wholoe family being huge LSU fans i know just about everything about them...

10. J_Ray

Kingwood Day 1

I'll post some key things that have happened so far....

<font size=""5""><div align="center">06 Prospects</div></font>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hasheem Thabeet, C, Houston JR Hardballers – The 7-foot-3 (yes, you read that correctly) native of Tanzania had it going on. Against the Wolves he went for 23 and in all likelihood had 20 boards as well. Now, he wasn’t playing against anyone his size but the effort was there. He dunked what he could and he’s not bad. Should he qualify the high-majors would have no choice but to gobble him up and develop him further.

Hashim Thabeet is awaiting his most recent standardized test score. He’s been in the country two seasons and said Connecticut and Southern Cal are nosing around. He also said of a ton of schools are interested and he wants to go to college next year. … Georgia Stars senior point guard James Florence is here with his old team. Tulane could be close to achieving a commitment from him. …</div>

<div align="center"><font size=""5"">07 Prospects</font></div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Durrell Summers and The Family were late arriving because of a delayed flight. We laid eyes on summers briefly and later learned he hit for 24 while looking smooth in the process. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">While O.J. Mayo pulled a shocker and left for team to play one tournament with the Miami Tropics, another storyline was Kevin Love trying to stomp on an opponent and nearly getting kicked out of the game.

HOUSTON – The story of the day was the sudden appearance of O.J. Mayo at the Kingwood Classic as a member of the Miami Tropics. O.J. Mayo, who hasn’t played since the state tournament because of what he says is a stress fracture in his left foot, suited up with the Miami Tropics on Friday night – but he certainly didn’t look like the same player that is ranked as tops in the Class of 2007.
    Mayo missed his first eight shots from the field before finishing with 14 points – eight from the charity stripe – in the Tropics victory against Kyle Singler and the Portland Legends.

Mayo hardly looked like the No. 1 player in the land, but in fairness to Lord O.J., he was playing with a bunch of new guys – some that don’t speak much English.

``This is my last year being able to play Kingwood,” Mayo said after the game. “This is my favorite tournament of the spring and summer and I wanted to win it, so that’s why I’m playing with the Tropics.”

``I felt like I could be the player that put the Tropics over the top,” he added.

Mayo also addressed whether he’ll be at Oak Hill Academy, where he visited on Thursday.

``As of right now, I’ll still be attending North College Hill,” Mayo said. “Our goal is to do something there that’s never been done – win three state championships.” </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kevin Love, C, Southern Cal All-Stars – It was an uncharacteristic performance by the big man. It wasn’t that he didn’t produce a variety of buckets in the paint or that he didn’t deliver a handful of crisp full length-court outlet passes. It was that he </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Taylor King, F, Southern Cal All-Stars – This wasn’t the Duke-bound forward’s best game. He really struggled offensively, but still managed to do some other things like rebound and pass the ball. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kyle Singer, SF, Portland Legends – It wasn’t Singler’s best performance, but in all fairness, he’s not exactly surrounded with high-major talent on his team. The Legends’ best player, Clarence Trent, is playing with another team for this tournament. Singler hit his share of shots and tried to make things happen, but he couldn’t do it by himself. </div>

<font size=""5""><div align="center">08 Prospects</div></font>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Brandon Jennings, PG, Southern Cal All-Stars – He’s more explosive than a year ago, but he still needs to start to think pass before looking for his own shot. He is quick enough to get to the basket whenever he wants, but he has the ability to make his teammates better. On this night, he went for 24 points in a win against the SYF Players. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Xavier Gibson, PF, Georgia Blazers – It’s more about potential than production for the lanky big man out of the Georgia. He did a decent job on the glass, but was a virtual non-factor offensively against the Juice All-Stars. Needs to bulk up in order to hold his position. </div>

<font size=""5""><div align="center">Recruiting News</div></font>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Elgin Bailey said that Miami, Oklahoma State and USC are the three schools on him the hardest. He also mentioned LSU and Tennessee. … Darrington Hobson has re-opened his recruitment after committing to Wyoming a while back. He said Arizona tops his list, which also includes Georgetown, USC and UCLA, and he is likely headed to another prep destination after spending last year at Calvary Christian. </div>

All from Scout.com

11. J_Ray

Kingwood Classic Day 2

<div align="center"><font size=""5"">07 Prospects</font></div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Anthony Randolph, PF, Dallas Mustangs ? His team went down 20-3 so he took it upon himself to score the next 7 points (with style) and finished with 17 for the game. Forget the numbers, his performance had the place buzzing. In terms of sheer talent and ?wow? factor, Randolph has the goods. He?s 6-foot-10, handles, made a pair of 3s and can play above the rim -- think Lamar Odom meets Tayshaun Prince! Frankly, his effort on Saturday was the most unique and eye-opening of the day. His upside is off the charts and everyone in the place knew that this guy is capable of being a special prospect. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kyle Singler, SF, Portland Legends ? He kept scoring and his team kept methodically advancing on Saturday. The Long Ranger of the Legends was getting it done. In the contest we took in Saturday afternoon, Singler made 8-of-13 shots and hit 4-of-5 from the line. He finished with 21 points and 7 rebounds, cementing was already a strong national status. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jerryd Bayless, SG, Arizona Magic ? Ok, time to make the switch and tag him as a shooting guard because that?s what he does ? score the basketball. He?ll hang and hit tough shots, plays with confidence and an explosion that a Top 20 caliber prospect should display. We watched him get 27 in one game (8-15 FG, 9-9 FT) and reports are he was on point all day long. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">O.J. Mayo , SG, Miami Tropics ? He certainly had his moments (see the reverse on the baseline with the mid-air switch to his off-hand for a lay up) but you can tell he?s a little out of his comfort zone. There?s a lot more pressure on this guy than there needs to be and we hope he?s able to make himself happy before impressing everyone else. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Durrell Summers, SG, The Family ? Basically he?s got the body you?d want your scoring wing to possess. He?s strong, athletic and can create shots and opportunities. He?s one of the studs at his position and the guy knows how to turn the scoreboard. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Corperryale Harris, G, The Family ? He drew a huge coaching contingent mainly because 1) guys want to see how good he is 2) he?s a kid a lot of programs think they can get involved with. As a prospect he?s rangy, a good athlete and a strong finisher for a guy with a thin frame. He defends, scores, passes and contributes. He?s currently uncomfortable playing behind the arc and that?s a part of his game that will need to be addressed. Bottom line ? schools are scrambling to make in roads. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kevin Love, PF, So Cal AS ? There is simply no way to convey the gift for throwing Joe Montana-like outlet passes this kid has. He?s a special player for a number of reasons and has a great career ahead of himself. Move over Dan Marino, no one has more AAU touchdown passes than Kevin Love. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jeffrey Jordan, G, Rising Stars ? Forget who his daddy is and look solely at his game. He?s a strong mid-major lead guard who gets into the paint, can create for himself and others while using a nice little burst of speed. Jordan said playing time is what?s most important to him and mid-majors need not be scared off by the family genes. Get in there and recruit this guy because he?s a player and he?s got some leadership ability as well. </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">DeAndre Jordan, PF, Houston Swoosh ? The long big man still needs some work, but it?ll take him a little while because he doesn?t play against good competition in high school. He has moments where he looks like LaMarcus Aldridge ? and others when he looks like a project.</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Nick Calathes, G, Nike Team Florida ? The Florida-bound do-it-all guard is one of the most complete players in the class. He?s got all the intangibles and is one reason why Gators coach Billy Donovan is excited about the future in Gainesville. </div>

<font size=""5""><div align="center">Recruiting News</div></font>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Darrell Arthur Saga has taken another turn. The LSU Tigers are firmly in the mix. Arthur said that he?s visiting Baton Rouge next weekend. The talk on the streets at Kingwood pegs LSU as the favorite. Arthur said he?s stilling looking at Kansas, Oklahoma and Baylor. How strong are they? Strong enough that John Brady hasn?t even been spotted out here and they are the behind the scenes leaders. That?s pretty strong.

Later on in the day.....

Darrel Arthur will take a visit this weekend to LSU and the 6-foot-9 unsigned senior forward is admittedly leaning towards committing to the Tigers, who have basically told him that he will replace Tyrus Thomas. ?They?re pretty much the perfect fit.? Arthur also listed Kansas, Oklahoma and Baylor. ? </div>

All from Scout.com

12. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Nice info JRay. Jeffrey Jordan came to my school to play our team last season, but I wasn't at the highschool then because I was in junior high, so I didn't get to see him play. But is he lefty or is it his brother?

13. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">Nice info JRay. Jeffrey Jordan came to my school to play our team last season, but I wasn't at the highschool then because I was in junior high, so I didn't get to see him play. But is he lefty or is it his brother?</div>

I think he is lefty, he's nothing compared to his dad though, so he'll be a good mid-major player from what I've heard.

14. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Nick Calathes is going to be a sick player. He's 6'5 PG and he's still growing. I think I heard his dad was 6'10 or something. He has great instincts and won Mr. Basketball as a junior. I predict him to be a SF at UF, but with PG skills and will help bring the ball up.

15. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting GatorsowntheSEC:</div><div class="quote_post">Nick Calathes is going to be a sick player. He's 6'5 PG and he's still growing. I think I heard his dad was 6'10 or something. He has great instincts and won Mr. Basketball as a junior. I predict him to be a SF at UF, but with PG skills and will help bring the ball up.</div>

Keep dreaming about another 6'10" PG, he'll only be 6'8" tops. I think he'll be good but he won't be a superstar, Donovan just gets another great player.

16. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Darrell Arthur might go to LSU!!!

17. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Iowa signs top-50 recruit tyler Smith

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa added one of the nation's best prep school players Wednesday when coach Steve Alford announced that forward Tyler Smith had signed with the Hawkeyes.

Smith is a 6-foot-7, 210-pound small forward from Pulaski, Tenn.

In 2005, he was rated among the nation's Top 50 high school seniors by Scout.com, a recruiting publication.

Smith spent a post-graduate season at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia in 2005-06. He averaged 20 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists a game while leading the team to a 28-2 record.

Smith will enter the 2006-07 campaign as a freshman. Scout.com rated Smith as the second-best prep school player in the nation last season.

"Tyler will have an immediate impact on our team next season," said Alford in a statement. "He is a very talented player, but also a great person, and that is something we always look for in recruiting."

Smith is the fourth newcomer slated to join the Hawkeyes next season. During the fall signing period, Iowa inked Canadian big man Jamie Vanderbeken and junior college transfers Justin Johnson and Cyrus Tate.</div>
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/bask...h.ap/index.html

18. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Since the hiring of Bob Huggins and the subsequent hiring of Charlotte assistant Dalonte Hill at Kansas State, the likelihood of Michael Beasley?s commitment to Charlotte holding water has been a public topic. Most thought no way the 49ers can keep him. Apparently, most are right.
    At the King James Shooting Stars Classic, Beasley told Scout.com, for the record, where his deal with Charlotte stands.

?I de-committed from Charlotte,? Beasley said. ?That?s not being down on Charlotte. I just need to find a better school for me; that?s not downing Charlotte either. I need to find a school where I can go and get out quick. I?m not trying to go to college for 3-4 years. I want to find the school that fits me best.

?Charlotte (fits the profile) so don?t get me wrong. Now it?s time to start looking at the more big time schools, schools that can get to the Sweet 16 easily, schools that you don?t have to carry on your back and have to get 30 points a night but get a loss.?

Schools like say Kansas State, Connecticut, Syracuse, Georgetown, North Carolina and maybe Southern Cal? Beasley said he?s interested in each school. UNC has shown zero interest to date from what we have observed.

Beasley said that UConn, Georgetown, Southern Cal, and to a degree, Syracuse are coming with regularity. Of course, Kansas State is making its pitch as well and figures to be a school that gets at least a visit. </div>

Beasley is a moron, he's looking for a school that will get to Sweet 16 easily, then he lists Kansas St. with the likes of UConn, Cuse, and G'Town. This guy is going to be a wasted talent just looking for money [​IMG]

19. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Beasley says he'll play for Huggins
    And hopes Mayo, Walker follow

BY DUSTIN DOW | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

AKRON - Just a week ago, before O.J. Mayo had been spurned by Oak Hill (Va.) Academy in his attempt to transfer there, it looked as if Mayo might become teammates with Michael Beasley, one of the most highly touted players in the class of 2007 after Mayo.

Ranked No. 3 in the country by Rivals.com, behind North College Hill's Mayo and Bill Walker, Beasley attends the powerhouse Virginia prep school where Mayo considered transferring until Oak Hill rescinded an offer in the wake of Mayo's suspension from NCH.

Now it appears that if Mayo and Beasley are ever to become teammates, it will have to be at Kansas State University, where Beasley said he is going to play for coach Bob Huggins.

Beasley's DC Assault summer basketball team defeated Mayo's D-I Greyhounds Friday night in the teams' opening game of the King James Classic. Afterward, Beasley said he plans to attend college at Kansas State, which is recruiting Mayo and Walker as well.

"I told Coach Huggins about two weeks ago I'd be going there," Beasley said.

Then Beasley said he'd like to see Mayo and Walker follow him to Kansas State.

"We'd probably be the best college team out there," Beasley said. "It'd be one of the best recruiting classes ever."

But Beasley said if Mayo or Walker decide on a different college, Beasley still intends to go to Kansas State.

"I'm 95 percent sure I'm going to Kansas State," Beasley said. "If O.J. doesn't follow me there, there's a good chance I'm not going to follow him wherever he goes."

Huggins and Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin were both in attendance at the Greyhounds' first game Saturday.</div>
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...300410/1068/SPT

20. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

Beasley, Walker and Mayo on the same team?! I would really be watching them to take something for sure. But honestly, why don't they all go to UCONN or Duke? Bob Huggins isn't really a good coach anyways.