Recruiting Watch: Five Star Miles Commits to UConn

Discussion in 'College Recruiting and Prospects' started by J_Ray, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Damion James to Texas

Five-star forward Damion James (Nacogdoches, Texas) will be bringing his high-flying game to Austin next season. Rivals.com national basketball recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer and Orangebloods.com's Gerry Hamilton have more on how James should make an instant impact for the Longhorns.</div>
    http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=546312

2. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">According to the Hartford (CT) Courant, UConn received a commitment from 7-foot-3 center Hasheem Thabeet, a native of Tanzania. Thabeet played his high school ball at Cypress Community School in Houston, and picked the Husky program over Louisville and Cincinnati. With Josh Boone leaving early for the NBA Draft, another big man was a must for head coach Jim Calhoun and his staff. The signing of Thabeet means that eight freshmen will join the program this coming season.</div>
    http://collegehoopsnet.com/news/index.php/...-lands-7-footer

3. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

Ohio State recently got Kosta Koufos for 2007. They already had BJ Mullens for 2008.

And with Greg Oden in 2006, that means OSU has the #1 ranked 7 footer for 2006, 2007, and 2008.

They also recently added center Dallas Lauderdale, who should be good, and some guy Kyle Madsen transfering in from Vanderbilt.

4. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

And Thad Matta nabs yet again another top 25 recruit:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Chicago St. Joseph small forward Evan Turner was thought to be a heavy lean to Illinois, so his Thursday commitment to Thad Matta and Ohio State came as something of a shock. The 6-foot-6 Turner is seen as one of the top 25 prospects in the class of 2007 and adds to an already impressive haul by the Buckeyes.</div>
    http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=557569

5. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Texas is going to have an amazing pair of freshman next season with James and Durant. Hopefully the two can stay more then a year (unlikely) but they will definitely be fun to watch. If Gibson, Aldridge, and Tucker would have come back for another year the Longhorns would easily have one of the best starting fives in the NCAA.

6. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Eric Gordon Reopens Recruitment

Class of 2007 Indianapolis North Central star Eric Gordon is going to officially re-open his recruitment. Gordon, one of the Top 5 Class of 2007 basketball prospects in the United States, will select from Illinois, Notre Dame and Indiana.

Gordon, a 6-4 shooting guard, is strong, athletic and has the ability to drop shots with both range and accuracy from beyond the three-point arc. Gordon had a stellar showing in the afternoon session at the Adidas Superstar Camp today.

Illinois already has Top 50 prospect Demetri McCamey, 6-11 Mike Tisdale and 6-9 Bill Cole in their 2007 recruiting class.</div>
    http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/egordon.html

7. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Aww... I thought he committed to Illinois his junior year? So he re-opened his recruiting so he could go to other colleges now?

8. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">Aww... I thought he committed to Illinois his junior year? So he re-opened his recruiting so he could go to other colleges now?</div>
    He actually made an announcement that he's still committed to Illinois, but is still visiting other schools. Indiana looks to be his new favorite from what I've read...

9. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Definitely, without a doubt, a surprise. Gordon was expected to get the program back on track after they're expecting a down year this season. I see him going back to Illinois though...

10. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Legion re-commits to Michigan

The Michigan basketball team is a national player again -- without playing a game. Alex Legion, an All-State basketball player at Birmingham Detroit Country Day last year as a junior, re-committed to the Wolverines on Tuesday.
    -- Detroit Free Press</div>
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/sion....rumor.college/

11. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Arizona gets commit from Laval Lucas-Perry

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">H.S. basketball star Lucas-Perry commits to UA

BY STEVE RIVERA
    Tucson Citizen

The University of Arizona men's basketball team picked up another in a long line of good, solid guards when 6-foot-2 Laval Lucas-Perry verbally committed to the Wildcats in a press conference this morning.

Lucas-Perry, an all-state selection out of Flint, Mich.'s Luke M. Powers Catholic High chose the University of Arizona over Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Boston College, among others.

Lucas-Perry visited Tucson and the UA nearly three weeks ago when he participated in the Lute Olson Advanced Skill & Development Camp.</div>

Source

This kid is going to be good when it's all said and done. Lute Olson compares him to a Gilbert Arenas [​IMG]

12. bengcord3

bengcord3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Source

This kid is going to be good when it's all said and done. Lute Olson compares him to a Gilbert Arenas [​IMG]</div>
    you know what that means...he'll be unbelievable for us, little known because he plays on the west coast, he'll get drafted in the second round, and become a superstar

13. AJL2321

AJL2321 JBB JustBBall Member

14. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

From everything I've seen from him, he could have the biggest impact on the NCAA of anyone from the '07 class, and he could wind up staying in college for a while, unlike Mayo or Walker. His size and bad knees somewhat limit his NBA potential, but he has the IQ and footwork to make an all-conference type impact right away on the collegiate scene.

It'd be great if he chose UCLA, because it'd break the cycle of North Carolina just falling into all the top recruits based on their reputation, and it'd help balance the power between the eastern conferences and the western ones, with guys like O.J. Mayo, Bill Walker, and Michael Beasley all heading west as well.

Also, with Kyle Singler giving UCLA heavy consideration, we could be seeing the makings of a new rivalry, Mayo and Walker vs. Love and Singler. That'd be great, not only for the Pac-10 but for all of college basketball.

15. bengcord3

bengcord3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">From everything I've seen from him, he could have the biggest impact on the NCAA of anyone from the '07 class, and he could wind up staying in college for a while, unlike Mayo or Walker. His size and bad knees somewhat limit his NBA potential, but he has the IQ and footwork to make an all-conference type impact right away on the collegiate scene.

It'd be great if he chose UCLA, because it'd break the cycle of North Carolina just falling into all the top recruits based on their reputation, and it'd help balance the power between the eastern conferences and the western ones, with guys like O.J. Mayo, Bill Walker, and Michael Beasley all heading west as well.

Also, with Kyle Singler giving UCLA heavy consideration, we could be seeing the makings of a new rivalry, Mayo and Walker vs. Love and Singler. That'd be great, not only for the Pac-10 but for all of college basketball.</div>
    Singler and Love likely won't go to the same school, so you can count that theory out. If Singler doesn't go to Duke, who he is REALLY high on, it will only be because he visits the U of A campus in Tucson and falls in love.

16. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bengcord3:</div><div class="quote_post">Singler and Love likely won't go to the same school, so you can count that theory out. If Singler doesn't go to Duke, who he is REALLY high on, it will only be because he visits the U of A campus in Tucson and falls in love.</div>

Where are you getting that from? All sources I've read, as well as the reliable sources that Rivalshoops.Com and Scout.Com provide, say that he's just as high on UCLA, Kansas, and Washington as he is on Duke and Arizona.

17. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Where are you getting that from? All sources I've read, as well as the reliable sources that Rivalshoops.Com and Scout.Com provide, say that he's just as high on UCLA, Kansas, and Washington as he is on Duke and Arizona.</div>

We have our sources [​IMG] Love has limited potential like you guys said, he could dominate the college game for 4 years but won't amount to anything in the NBA, unless Utah does their miracle touch on this white guy like they do with most.......

BTW--KLove is leaning towards UCLA

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">he could dominate the college game for 4 years but won't amount to anything in the NBA</div>

I wouldn't say that he won't amount to anything just yet. I'm more concerned about his knees than his height to be honest. With his footwork and the way he rebounds, his height won't be as huge of a problem on the NBA level as his health. Tell me if I'm wrong, but does anyone else see a young Randy White in him?

19. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">How nice. Care to share? [​IMG]</div>

PM or IM me and I'll give you info, because if I tell you it might sort of be spamming [​IMG]

20. AJL2321

AJL2321 JBB JustBBall Member

He made his decision ..And hes going to Ucla .