Recruiting Watch: Five Star Miles Commits to UConn

Discussion in 'College Recruiting and Prospects' started by J_Ray, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kevin Love, a 6-foot-9, 260-pound big man out of Lake Oswego (Ore.), announced a verbal commitment to remain on the West Coast and attend UCLA, choosing the Bruins over North Carolina.
    "Without any further ado, I'm going to be a Bruin," Love said before a crowd of media Tuesday afternoon at the Reebok Big Time Tournament at Foothills High School.

He is ranked the top post player in the rising senior class (No. 2 overall by Scout.com) and an argument could be made that he will have the biggest college impact of any of his peers.

Love admitted it was a difficult decision, but ultimately felt his relationship with head coach Ben Howland, as well as factors such as location and style of play pointed him to Los Angeles.

"With all due respect to both coaches, Coach Howland is the best," Love said. "I've got a lot of love for him and can't wait to play for him. It was a very tough decision, but when it came down to it I wanted to stay close to my family and friends."

Love, who led the prestigious ABCD Camp earlier this month in scoring and rebounding, also said he welcomes the challenge of trying to become UCLA next's great big man, following in the footsteps of Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
    </div>
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5815884

It's official.

UCLA got its next great big man.

2. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

Dang it, him and hansborough (sp?) would have been amazing

3. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheFreshPrince:</div><div class="quote_post">Dang it, him and hansborough (sp?) would have been amazing</div>

I don't think Hansbrough would of been there when he came [​IMG]

4. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldn't say that he won't amount to anything just yet. I'm more concerned about his knees than his height to be honest. With his footwork and the way he rebounds, his height won't be as huge of a problem on the NBA level as his health. Tell me if I'm wrong, but does anyone else see a young Randy White in him?</div>

Who's Randy White and Harvey Grant?

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Who's Randy White and Harvey Grant?</div>

Damn, I edited Harvey Grant out because I figured Randy White was a more current referrence, but then again, you're the guy who had never heard of Dan Issel. ([​IMG])

Anyway, Randy White was a big time collegiate star in the late 90's who had a mediocre NBA career for the Mavericks in the 90's. He was the 8th pick in the 1st round of the 1989 draft as well.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Hansbrough would of been there when he came </div>

Why do you say that? He didn't bolt for the draft in 2006, and his family repeatedly says they're not motivated by money. If any of the current underclassmen prospects looks lke a four-year player, it's Tyler Hansbrough. But then again, maybe you've got some of this inside information again...

6. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Damn, I edited Harvey Grant out because I figured Randy White was a more current referrence, but then again, you're the guy who had never heard of Bob Pettit. ([​IMG])

Anyway, Randy White was a big time collegiate star in the late 90's who had a mediocre NBA career for the Mavericks in the 90's. He was the 8th pick in the 1st round of the 1989 draft as well.</div>

Well I started watching college ball towards end of 90's, about when I was 8. I never really went back in time and found out who was good and stuff.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you say that? He didn't bolt for the draft in 2006, and his family repeatedly says they're not motivated by money. If any of the current underclassmen prospects looks lke a four-year player, it's Tyler Hansbrough. But then again, maybe you've got some of this inside information again...</div>

I just thought Tyler Hansbrough would leave early, I never thought he would stay that long. He dominated as a frosh, so why would he stay. My inside sources don't have anything on this [​IMG]

7. bengcord3

bengcord3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">I just thought Tyler Hansbrough would leave early, I never thought he would stay that long. He dominated as a frosh, so why would he stay. My inside sources don't have anything on this [​IMG]</div>
    Hansbrough's game doesn't translate AS well to the NBA as other guys who have dominated the way he did last year, so I think there's a good chance he stays at least three years, but who knows.

8. jbbAce

jbbAce JBB JustBBall Member

Kevin Love commits to UCLA (Verbal)

This is great for the Bruins! Now, does this highten our chances of getting Singler too? If so, UCLA will be in good shape come '07.

9. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bengcord3:</div><div class="quote_post">Hansbrough's game doesn't translate AS well to the NBA as other guys who have dominated the way he did last year, so I think there's a good chance he stays at least three years, but who knows.</div>

Really, he could score off of triple teams last year as a freshman. I see him as an Elton Brand type player, which translated pretty nicely.

10. J_Ray

DeAndre Jordan Commits to Big-12 Aggies

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">DeAndre Jordan had trimmed his list to a handful of schools and was thought to be narrowing his recruiting process. On Thursday night, Scout.com?s No. 2 center in the nation, narrowed his list even further and made a commitment to play in the Big 12.

The Texas A&M Aggies added the highest rated recruit of Billy Gillispie?s tenure in College Station Thursday night. DeAndre Jordan, presently ranked No. 26 in the Scout.com Top 100, committed to the Aggies.

Jordan, a 6-foot-11 standout from Houston?s Episcopal High, is rated the No. 2 center prospect in the country.

"I just felt it was time and that it was a good decision for me," Jordan said. "They develop players and I have a strong relationship with the coaches. I played with a few players on their team and they?re an up and coming program."

DeAndre Jordan
    Jordan?s pledge to the Aggies is significant. The Aggies were in the hunt with Florida, Florida State, LSU, Texas and Indiana for Jordan?s services. In early July, Jordan was named to the all-star game at the Reebok ABCD Camp where he averaged 10.9 points and 4.3 rebounds. He scored 16 points in the all-star game. He was named senior camper Co-MVP.

Long considered one of the premier big man talents in the Class of 2007, it?s Jordan?s long term potential that will get Aggies fans excited. He?s shown the ability to be a strong finisher and shot blocker. As a junior, Jordan averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds and 7 blocks. </div>

Scout.com

Wow, this is a big of a shock, I didn't think he'd commit yet. He's going to be pretty good from what I've seen from him. Reminds me sort of a Channing Frye....

11. J_Ray

Top 100 recruit commits to Pepperdine

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Tyrone Shelley, 6-6 SR SF San Diego (Calif.) Crawford, made a verbal commitment to Pepperdine yesterday. Shelley announced his commitment at the End of the Trail Classic at Lynwood High.</div>

Scout.com

He's the guy that had a Kobe like game in 3 quarters [​IMG]

12. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Scout.com

He's the guy that had a Kobe like game in 3 quarters [​IMG]</div>
    Yeah, and shortly after, he shot up the boards like a wildfire.

I've seen a few highlights on him, and came away very impressed.

He should be a star for Pepperdine for years to come; he will be overlooked by many, though, because Pepperdine isn't exactly a well known basketball school.

13. XQzMe

XQzMe JBB JustBBall Member

DeAndre Jordan is a great player from what I seen of him at ABCD. He's might turn the Aggies to a Power.

14. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting XQzMe:</div><div class="quote_post">DeAndre Jordan is a great player from what I seen of him at ABCD. He's might turn the Aggies to a Power.</div>

Too bad he won't have much left from the team they had last year.....

15. XQzMe

XQzMe JBB JustBBall Member

They have a Top 25 Recruiting Class, plus hes in the Class of 2007, so he wont play until the season after the next.

16. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting XQzMe:</div><div class="quote_post">They have a Top 25 Recruiting Class, plus hes in the Class of 2007, so he wont play until the season after the next.</div>

Wow, I didn't know that *Sarcasm* I was talking about the team they had last year, Acie Law and the gang won't be there next year.

17. J_Ray

Top 100: Drew Viney stays in state

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Drew Viney had it down to Arizona State and California so you knew he was going to play ball in the Pac-10. On Friday, the Top 100 prospect from the Class of 2007 made his pick and ended his recruitment.

It?s been a great summer for Drew Viney, a 6-foot-7 wing out of Villa Park (Calif.) High. His Pump ?n Run team captured the Super 64 in Las Vegas and now he?s a committed member of a Pac-10 institution.

California edged out Arizona State for Viney?s pledge on Friday. Viney is ranked No. 83 in America by Scout.com. His 3-point stroke was on display in Vegas.</div>

Scout.com

He's a nice guy for Cal, can shoot really good....

18. J_Ray

Bayless recommits to Cats

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Jerryd Bayless saga seems to have come to an end. On Wednesday afternoon the Phoenix guard made his second verbal commitment to the Univeristy of Arizona in a less than a year?s time.

Bayless originally committed to the Wildcats last fall but felt he had possibly pulled the trigger too early and backed off the verbal pledge over the summer. Bayless and his high school coach agreed that he should take the summer to think about things.

After taking the summer to focus on basketball Bayless returned to Phoenix and realized that he wanted to play for the Wildcats.

?As the summer went on he felt that home is where the heart is,? said David Lopez, Bayless? high school coach. ?I think Arizona has always been his top choice, he just needed to make sure.?

Bayless had taken the time over the summer to consider all his option which included schools like Texas, Georgia Tech, Washington and Kansas. According to Lopez Bayless took the time to talk with friends, family and coaches and came to the decision that his original pledge was best.

?He just felt real sure and real confident,? Lopez said.

Of course Wildcat fans won?t be perfectly confident until Bayless signs a letter of intent in the fall, but Lopez feels that they have nothing to fear.

?He is a year older and more mature,? Lopez noted. ?I think it is safe to say that this is it.?</div>

Scout.com

19. J_Ray

Soloman Alabi, the 7'2" Nigerian is a top 50 guy for 07 has cut his list to 3 from what I hear, Arizona, Florida St. and Virginia, but it looks like it'll be between Zona and Florida St.

20. J_Ray

Alabi to ACC

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">On Wednesday morning Montverde coach Kevin Sutton indicated his star Solomon Alabi was close to deciding. By that same evening, it was done.

The good news keeps coming to Florida State?s frontcourt. Early reports out of Oak Hill Hill Academy are indicating that post-summer commitment Julian Vaughn is poised for a big senior year.

And now if you?re a diehard Seminoles basketball fan, the hits continue to come.

?Montverde Academy is proud to announce that Solomon Alabi has announced that he has committed FSU,? Montverde head coach Kevin Sutton said in a released statement. ?Solomon is very happy with his decision.

?It was hard decision as he had three great schools to choose from in Virginia, Arizona and FSU. I am very proud of how well Solomon handled the recruiting process. His decision was arrived at after a lot of conversations, and the careful notes that he kept on each school. This enabled him to make an educated and intelligent decision. He continues to impress me.? </div>

Scout.com