Redd's chances at All-stardom?

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by MiltownBeers, Jan 29, 2004.

1. MiltownBeers

MiltownBeers JBB JustBBall Member

Ranks #7 in the NBA in Points Per Game(22.1)
    Ranks #14 in the NBA in Free-Throw Percentage(0.862)
    Ranks #18 in the NBA in Minutes Played(1693.0)
    Ranks #4 in the NBA in Field Goals Made(372.0)
    Ranks #6 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts(833.0)
    Ranks #9 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made(84.0)
    Ranks #9 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts(227.0)
    Ranks #5 in the NBA in Points(996.0)
    Ranks #9 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes(10.55)
    Ranks #10 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(23.62)
    Ranks #8 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(28.2)

His numbers look pretty good across the board, but will his lesser-known name and small-market city hurt his chances of beating out potentially bron-bron, pierce, VC, AI, Kidd, or stephon? The east is loaded with big name guards in large-market cities, still, I think he deserves to make it as a non-starter.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    He's played well this season, but I think the non-starting guards will be Steph,Pierce,Bron,Kidd and Baron Davis, so he can try next year.

3. MiltownBeers

MiltownBeers JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">He's played well this season, but I think the non-starting guards will be Steph,Pierce,Bron,Kidd and Baron Davis, so he can try next year.</div>

My bad on leaving out the Baron, who is having a fantastic season.

4. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

he's not going to make it this year. Next year is a different story but this year he will be overlooked for sure

5. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Redd's chances? A big fat zero

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting InNETSweTrust:</div><div class="quote_post">Redd's chances? A big fat zero</div>

How you fiqure that out? Redd is one of the best shooting guards in the east.Coaches will take into amount the Bucks record,along with his impact.I say the chances are 50/50.

7. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Redd is putting up great numbers and he's having a terrific season. However, I just don't see him making it this year. I think he'll be one of the overlooked players that should have made it. He's an efficient scorer and he plays with great confidence, as if he could make any shot on the court.

The west is flooded with power fowards, and the east is loaded with guards. Paul Pierce, Allen Iverson, Baron Davis, Lebron James, Jason Kidd, and Marbury may be looked at before Redd. (Give or take a few)

If he keeps this up, I don't see how he won't be an All Star next season. He's been the turn around for things in Milwaukee.

8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Redd is not overlooked and he doesn't deserve it. He's playing great, but if there are five guards in your conference who are having better seasons than you then you don't deserve it. Kidd, Iverson, McGrady, B.Davis, and Pierce aren't just big names in big markets. They are some of the greatest players the league has ever seen (well, at least Kidd).

9. BuckFanatic22

BuckFanatic22 JBB JustBBall Member

2 weeks ago I thought he wasn't gonna make it, but now, after his late push of 40 point games and just great basketball. his chances are alot better then some of you are saying. when you get kenny smith and barkley saying they would rather have him on the team then steph or J-kidd, thats saying something. well I know for a fact he has Tim Floyds vote, he already said that. we'll see, go bucks!

10. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting InNETSweTrust:</div><div class="quote_post">Redd's chances? A big fat zero</div>

That is nuts man, I fully believe he will be an all-star. Scoring over 20 a game and leading your team to a 25-20 record. Looks like the Bucks are maximizing their talents while a team like the Nets is just slacking off.

11. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think he's quite ready yet, like most Rookies, they can and will be better. Anyone and everyone has room for improvement, him certainly as he is doing so well already. I think Randolph deserves MIP though, he has a worse supporting cast.

12. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">Looks like the Bucks are maximizing their talents while a team like the Nets is just slacking off.</div>
    The Nets are slacking off? Just because the Nets turn it up in the playoffs doesn't mean they slack off in the regular season. I am surprised no one has pointed out to you earlier that all teams turn it up in the playoffs, not just the Nets. And what does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to say that the reason for the Net's recent slumping has been Jason Kidd? If so, wrong again. Jason Kidd is one of the five best players in the league but is surrounded by players who simply can't get the job done. It's great that Redd is averaging over twenty points per game, but making the All-Star game over Kidd is ludacris. Those kind of statements are the reason I don't pay much mind to Charles Barkley. Kidd averages seventeen points per game, and leads the league in assists with about ten per game. Kidd also grabs down six and a half rebounds which seems like the most for any point guard in the league. Redd may be a good scorer, but Kidd is the all-around better player.

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

"Michael Redd gets my vote" -Tim Floyd,Johnny Davis

14. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">"Michael Redd gets my vote" -Tim Floyd,Johnny Davis</div>

I am wondering about my prediction now. I don't think that Davis, Kidd, or Pierce will be left off. At the same time I don't think they'll have six guards either. We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe they'll consider Pierce a G/F.

15. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I'm guessing Pierce will be down as a forward which would leave space for two guards.Jason Kidd should be a lock,the other spot would be between Redd and Baron Chucker

However If you remember last season the east had 3 centers in total.So I don't see any reason why we won't see Kidd,Davis and Redd on the team togeather.If Redd somehow doesn't make it,he will be a shoe in for next years event.Many feel if he misses out it will be due to the Bucks not getting enough media coverage,not being a marketable guy,on a low profile team.That 25-20 record the Bucks have has to be taken into acount by the coaches, which it likely will.Dropping 40 points for two straight wednesday's has to be noticed.

16. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

Tim Floyd: He's got my vote.

17. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Redd should be there, period.

He deserves it as much as ANY guard in the East, and his the biggest factor in his favour is he can play at SF too, which is valuable on a 12 man roster. Fans look at the names first, and good on them, but the coaches know better. They'll look at the Bucks' record, they'll look at the roster they have and they'll see that they're somehow 25-20 (currently), and they'll see who the leader on that team is. Michael Redd.

He deserves it as much as Kidd, McGrady, Iverson and Pierce. All of these four are putting up All-Star numbers and no one would begrudge them a roster spot (AI and T-Mac are there). However the Bucks are having a better year with arguably less talent than all of the teams those guys play for, and Michael Redd is the leader of that club. Coaches know that. In fact I would have him on par with Baron Davis and Kidd as the most deserving guards in the East, and when looking at the bigger picture that is a legit statement.

I've read a lot of responses in this thread saying "not this year, maybe next" or "i can't see it". Someone give me a logical, well-reasoned argument why Michael Redd shouldn't or won't be an All-Star? He has as much going for him as the guys I mentioned, perhaps more with how well the Bucks are doing.

Coaches don't vote on who has the better market or the bigger name, they vote on who deserves it the most. Redd fits that category, even if they sell more Pierce and Iverson jerseys.

EDIT: My bad, they're actually 26-20. Silly me.

18. BuckFanatic22

BuckFanatic22 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">Redd should be there, period.

Coaches don't vote on who has the better market or the bigger name, they vote on who deserves it the most. Redd fits that category, even if they sell more Pierce and Iverson jerseys.</div>

you're are exctly right, why do you think guys on here are saying "i can't see it" etc? because they don't get to see Redd all the time like we do AND the nba coaches do, who get lit up by him on a regular basis [​IMG]

19. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

Maybe they meant "I can't watch Bucks games here" when they said "I can't see it." I'd hope so.