OT Referee Shortage In Youth Sports

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ripcityboy, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
  2. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Ha.

You'd be surprised what goes on at even rec leagues.
    Tuesday I volunteered to Ump a coach pitch game, because they were missing umps.
    (For those who don't know, that's 1st and 2nd grade baseball. Pitcher is allowed 4 pitches before coach comes out and pitches until the batter strikes out, or gets a hit.)

I had an assistant coach storm onto the diamond yelling. He said. "Blue how was that a strike, it came in at his fucking shoulders".
    (In lower league softball/baseball the strike zone is far wider & higher than the MLB)
    I told the assistant coach to leave the diamond and return to his bench. He said something not so appropriate in return. So I sent him to the parking lot.
    His wife came up to me after the game and apologized for her husband.

What was sad to me, is the kid who apparently was the son of the assistant coach I sent to the parking lot. Ended up getting his first non-coach pitch hit of the season & it was a triple.
    He wasn't able to see that, nor see his son eventually score.
    All because he forced me to set an example for the kids, instead of doing so as the assistant coach.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Chris Craig, riverman and Dougnsalem like this.
  3. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

When my sons were little I was one of those coaches the (team) kids and parents really liked but the refs and umps (and other teams) hated. Then I had to take a turn calling games and my attitude and approach changed dramatically. Experience also taught me that the kids pretty much didn't give a shit about who won or lost. They just wanted to have fun and overly intense idiots (like me and too many other parents) weren't helping them achieve that. Sounds like nothing has changed.....though I thankfully didn't see any craziness at my 9 year old granddaughter's softball game last weekend.....

Chris Craig and riverman like this.
  4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I umpired for 5 years.

95% of the parents and coaches were great.

I only tossed out 3 people ever. I also have a different mindset - I always owned up to my mistakes and when I knew I was right, I would just let them project onto me and let it roll off.

I almost never had issues with anybody mainly because I was transparent and approachable, and let the kids decide the game.

Ironically, it was when I went up to the adult leagues where the real assholes were. Jesus. lol. It wasn't even pro ball, but I had to toss a couple from there.