Game Thread Regular Season #11 - Bulls @ Suns

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by bullsger, Nov 17, 2015.

1. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I think I disagree although its still really early and I don't trust my read. I think the problem with characterizing the differences between the two coaches is that neither Hoiberg nor Thibodeau really fit their national caricatures. The change from Thibsball to Hoiball isn't a simple shift from concentrating on offense to defense as you'll hear Barkley and Kenny yell about during intermission.

I'm beginning to suspect that Hoiberg is a big quant guy who relies heavily on stats. I noticed the other day that the Bulls are both first in opponents fg% and free throws given up. They also don't get many turnovers now. The Bulls are still good at defense, but they're good in a different way: they're less physical, and I don't see our bigs moving as much. Pau in particular seems to spend more time closer to the rim.

On offense, the shooting is weak, but their turnovers have been pretty darn good -- and those were always a problem under Thibodeau. Their pace is up and I'd bet that their percentage of assisted field goals is up too. The team still hasn't been able to play well consistently, which I think has carried over between both coaches. But I also feel like this team is better situated to be healthy late in the season. The minutes feel much more sustainable, as does the approach of not pushing injured players back into action.

I think there may be some pretty big changes afoot, but that implementation is a gradual process which may make the changes less noticeable.

2. such sweet thunder

I do wish this team looked better though. This roster has played its fair share of crappy ball for a team that is 8-3.

3. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Agree. Did you know that although only two teams (GSW and San Antonio) in the whole damn NBA have a better record than the Bulls, the Bulls rank only 12th in margin of victory? That's a weak 8-3.

4. such sweet thunder

I think the margin of victory stat is off by about a point and a half because of the two overtime losses, the theory being losing by nine points in overtime probably shouldn't be considered a worse loss than losing by one point in regulation. But your point stands. They've been unable to close teams out like you would expect from a team at the top of the conference.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Excellent point...hadn't thought about the effect of an "overtime blowout." Also, I think I had repressed the memory of our boys being shut out in that OT.

On the bigger point, this Bulls team has been kind of underwhelming despite its fairly lofty record. Several individuals (most notably Mirotic and Rose) have disappointed and hopefully have their best ball ahead of them. No one has been crazy good (consistently).

Bottom line - I don't know what the hell to think.

6. such sweet thunder

Does anybody remember what the early Thibs period was like as a fan?

I remember being thrilled that the team was actually playing with structure but that's about it. Not sure if I remember anything about that time that would help make sense of this time.

7. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Early Thibs we were 9-8 the first 17 games.

We are 8-3 and most of the fan base is disappointed.