Repealing Obamacare

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    The murderer Ted Kennedy had the exact same malady and they wheeled him out to cast procedural votes for ObamaCare.

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    uh... It was the Democrat controlled Congress that exempted the Congress from the Obama care system. Obama, the pander in Chief, approved the exemption with his signature, putting the law into effect.

3. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I seem to recall this, Yes, the image is clear.

4. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

Will someone please explain this a little more for me? I'm reading that the Senate voted on a debate about repealing Obamacare. Not actually repealing it? Now I'm confused. What's the net-net here?

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Several ideas for how to replace ObamaCare will get to be proposed, debated, and voted on.

NBC says the republicans are likely to do a "skinny repeal" in the end.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...nny-repeal-obamacare-tuesday-s-voting-n786296

The plan after those two votes is for senators to proceed to votes on a series of amendments to create what leadership has called a “skinny” repeal, which is a watered-down version of repeal with nothing to replace it.

The goal would be to eliminate Obamacare's individual mandate penalty, the employer mandate penalty, and the tax on medical devices. A broader repeal would also have ended Medicaid's expansion, get rid of or replace the Obamacare subsidies that help people purchase insurance and repeal more — or all — of Obamacare's taxes.

The Senate would then go to conference with the House of Representatives, where conferees would work out a final bill. Both chambers would then have to vote on the reconciled bill.
    Without the mandates, ObamaCare is no more. What you have left is some government assistance for some to buy insurance.

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Oh yeah, the whole notion that ObamaCare replace/repeal is dead is no longer operational.

7. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Wow, age has wreaked havoc on my memory......I must have forgotten that Ted Kennedy was tried for murder....let alone convicted. Of course, anti-Democrats would never accuse anyone without evidence, right? That just isn't done in Washington DC. We've heard so freaking much from Donald and his supporters (including those on this board) about what is "fair" treatment and what isn't, those folks would never stoop so low as to accuse anyone without concrete justification.....I mean, we all know that life is FAIR, correct???? Ted's misadventure was simply a nothing burger by Republican (and Denny) standards.....carry on......

riverman likes this.
  8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/incident-on-chappaquiddick-island

CONCRETE JUSTIFICATION.

There was a corpse and everything.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

sedition!!!!!!

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    You are right, the turkey was too fucking drunk to stay on the road, drove into the water, and left the lady to drown. Went to his pad to sleep it off and phone it in the next day.
    Calling it murder might be letting him off the hook.

11. The Professional Fan

Thanks for the recap. Too much info and emotion flying around on the net to pin it down.

12. The Professional Fan

For anyone that wants a high level of where we're at. I'm assuming this is accurate

13. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    The first amendment will be replacing the House bill (which I believe is what was officially put forth for the motion ot proceed vote) with a full* repeal bill from 2015. Then, when/if that fails, they'll drop that amendment and move to the Senate bill, both with and without the Cruz amendment. They're basically going to give every iteration a chance, hoping something finds 50 votes. Plus, any senator (Republican and Democrat) can propose amendments to be voted on.

Of course, the Senate parliamentarian has identified significant parts of the Senate bill that don't satisfy the Byrd rule (only budgetary changes can be made under reconciliation, not regulatory changes) and the Cruz amendment is also expected to not pass Byrd rule muster.

*As full as can be under the Byrd rule, which basically means repealing all "Obamacare taxes"

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Why not just outlaw diseases and most injuries. Then we wouldn't need healthcare.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

deport the sick and elderly and mosquitos....then finish the wall

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I know the Republicans are not at all sure of what to do. But do the Democrats get off clean here? Sitting on their hand doing nothing? They created this shit!

My wife and I were force into a different Insurance, at least my wife was. There was nothing on the market in our county for her to buy that was also accepted by the Doctors in Bandon or Coos Bay. So we got her a plan using our Sons address in Eugene as home for her. Well sure enough, they wouldn't pay the Doctor in North Bend. So we cancelled the damn insurance, letting it default to only Medicare, then had the Clinic in North Bend re-bill Medicare and that worked but for not having the supplemental part she should have had.

We only have Obama and the Democrats to thank for this shit we currently have today. No Republican voted for this crap.
    Any one see something terrible wrong here?
    When I see Chuck Schumer speak on it, I want to kick the shit out of him.

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to put in fixes to ensure stable markets and help those who's premiums are too high (with more tax-payer funded subsidies, natch)--but Republicans don't want the current health care system to succeed. They want to either repeal it or have it fail, assuming they can pin the failure on Democrats (which polls suggest they won't be able to do).

18. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Denny, I think that would be the right thing to do, but the GOP would be blamed. Every pro-ACA person with whom I speak in my little corner of Denver blames the GOP for not "fixing" Obamacare. When I comment that not a single one voted for it, their position is that it's the law of the land and the party in power should fix it. You think the media is going to hang it around the necks of the Democrats?

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    It appears to me to have already failed for my wife. I see no possibility of a fix.

20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Might as well start with the right thing to do, somewhere along the way. Sure not close now.