Science Report: Mental Health Crises Spike Among Youth

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Phatguysrule, May 3, 2023.

1. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Agree with all these points.

yankeesince59 and riverman like this.
  2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I’m sure having to pretend there is somebody outside you classroom killing people everyday probably messes with one’s head after a while.

3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Honestly it would probably turn into a joke after the first couple days.

Either way, if they were doing that daily I think I'd pull my kids out of such a horrible school.

Why on earth would you focus so much time and energy on something that has a lower mortality rate in the US than lightning strikes? Literally, in the US lightening kills 3x as many people every year as school shooters.

Yes, it's terrible when it happens. And yes, we should get serious about figuring out why people want to do this and treating them. And preventing them from getting this way.

But let's be real. People have had easier access to guns all of US history than they do right now. Something else has changed.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    bigbailes likes this.
  4. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

Agree with you to a degree and don't think anyone is tossing ALL the blame on parents or social media, but it's a number of different factors. I work at an inner city high school, two miles from the Rio Grande and there are a lot of times I have students that are struggling, when I look up their info, more times than not it's only mom on the call log and brothers/sisters with MULTIPLE last names. We know that parents are working harder than ever and in many cases, the students are working decent hours just to help out at home. I'm well aware of a lot of the hardships that these kids are going through and try to give them as many breaks as possible, while still reasonably preparing them for the real world.

riverman and Phatguysrule like this.
  5. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

Not sure about other schools but the students I'm around really don't think about school shootings that much when I talk to them about things ... they are much more worried about normal kid shit that we all thought was important back in the day and Uvalde is about 80 miles away from us. If anything (sadly) they have been more annoyed at the safety measures we have taken like locking every single door/gate and being much more vigilant about the coming and going of people in the halls.

6. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    The rest of the world (well, the developed world) has social media and video games and violent movies. Wonder how the US compares to them in murder rates, crime rates, etc.

riverman likes this.
  8. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

^^^Valid question. I found a couple tales showing social media use and gun ownership, though I can't vouch for their accuracy.

Here is a table showing the top 20 countries with the Most Number of Social Media Users and total population as of 2023:

China 1,021.96 million 1,212.38 million
    India 755.47 million 1,177.5 million
    USA 302.25 million 327.22 million
    Indonesia 217.53 million 261.7 million
    Brazil 165.45 million 188.35 million
    Russia 115.05 million 126.37 million
    Japan 101.98 million 113.03 million
    Mexico 98.21 million 122.07 million
    Philippines 84.07 million 92.68 million
    Vietnam 72.29 million 81.63 million
    Turkey 67.11 million 76.58 million
    UK 61.67 million 65.23 million
    Germany 60.88 million 73.15 million
    Thailand 56.27 million 59.32 million
    France 48.71 million 56.62 million
    South Korea 46.09 million 47.61 million
    Italy 43.31 million 46.89 million
    Nigeria 38.47 million 91.55 million
    Canada 34.47 million 38.93 million
    Bangladesh 24.49 million 33.6 million

Top 10 Countries with Highest Gun Ownership (Civilian guns owned per 100 people):
    1. United States - 120.5
    2. Falkland Islands - 62.1
    3. Yemen - 52.8
    4. New Caledonia - 42.5
    5. Serbia - 39.1 (tie)
    6. Montenegro - 39.1 (tie)
    7. Uruguay - 34.7 (tie)
    8. Canada - 34.7 (tie)
    9. Cyprus - 34
    10. Finland - 32.4

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I’m not saying that you’re wrong, but my parents didn’t spend time with me. I played with my own toys. I used my imagination. I read books. I would go shoot hoops. I’d go play with the other kids in the neighborhood.

For my parents it was even more so. They were completely on their own most of the time.

I was reading that kids just don’t go outside anymore. They stay in and play video games or sit on their phones. It’s not on the parents to spend all their time with their kids. Kids should be able to entertain themselves at times.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. yankeesince59

Nate, just curious, how old are you?

11. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

I agree that a lot of the issue is on parents lack of involvement. I am going to use the Pandemic for an example. Kids were doing school from home. In the district my kids go to, if the kid logged into their class each day, not doing any work, just logging in they would get a "C" and pass. Over 50% of the kids failed their classes. Over 50% of the parents could not even be bothered to have a discussion with their kids and make sure they were logging in. Less then 5 minutes and all those kids would have passed, but the parents were not involved and didn't make their kids a priority. This is not on the schools, who a large majority of those parents blamed, this is total lack of parenting from the parents. If they parents can't spend 5 minutes a day having a conversation and making sure their kids were logging into school, what else are they not bothered with. Parents don't have to spend all their times on their kids, but to many don't spend any time and then point the blame elsewhere instead of looking in the mirror where the biggest problem is.

riverman likes this.
  12. yankeesince59

13. Natebishop3

My dad didn’t hardly spend any time with me when I was a kid. My mom was super involved but I have two annoying sisters so she was busy all the time.

I just entertained myself but I did spend a lot of time outside which wasn’t uncommon among my friends. We would play soldier or we would go shoot hoops.

Hoopguru and Phatguysrule like this.
  14. Natebishop3

What if both parents work? Who was supposed to be there to make sure they logged in for each class?

15. yankeesince59

Agreed...unfortunately, many parents wrongly believe that it's the school systems' job to raise their kids for them.

riverman, Hoopguru and twobullz like this.
  16. twobullz

They could log in at any point in a 24 hour day. I doubt many parents are working 24/7. That is just an excuse. It was all videos they just had to log in at some point during the day. My wife and I both work and both of our daughters maintained their 4.0 grade point average during it, which means they were doing more then just logging in. When we got home we checked in with our kids and made sure they were doing their work. It was not hard and never took more then a few minutes a day. So the work excuse is nothing more then an excuse.

riverman likes this.
  17. yankeesince59

Ahh, OK...I just wondered how prevalent social media and /or video game were when you were a kid. Not sure about you, but when I was a youngster there was not a whole lot to do inside unless it was heaven forbid, raining outside. When it wasn't raining I was always outside playing baseball, shooting marbles, camping out, etc.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Natebishop3 likes this.
  18. Natebishop3

You didn’t mention that they were recordings. That makes more sense.

19. Natebishop3

Yeah video games were pretty new and the internet wasn’t really a thing until I was older. And even then it was pretty limited.

Parents and kids today face a new problem that humans haven’t faced before.

20. twobullz

Sorry yeah, the teachers recorded all of their daily classes and uploaded them for the kids to watch . There really was no reason any kids didn't pass their classes. The district made sure every kid had a chrome book and provided hot spots to any child whose family didn't have internet so they could log in. It was just not a priority to the kids or family.

riverman and Natebishop3 like this.