Science Report: Mental Health Crises Spike Among Youth

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Phatguysrule, May 3, 2023.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Salute'...you and your bride evidently did spend time with them while at home and on weekends.

twobullz and Hoopguru like this.
  2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I commend you and your wife, great job!

twobullz likes this.
  3. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

The findings are hardly surprising; there's so many factors to it, you can't math it out correctly off the cuff. I'd only suggest that knowledge of how the world works, how the world should work, what they want and what they're allowed to get all contribute to a feeling of hopelessness, helplessness, and despair.

But this is a bullshit conversation anyway: the adults in charge don't give a shit if kids kill themselves; if they did, trans rights would be a huge priority (giving trans kids support drops their suicide rate by 73% according to studies).

An adult can care about their kids. But adults as a demographic don't care about kids as a demographic nearly enough. And the reason people blame social media is because social media shows kids that cold truth. I have to admit, if I was a 10-year old trans kid today, I'd have a fucking hard time not killing myself. The unvarnished hate, loud and proud and obvious, would just be too much.

If social media is the problem, it's because social media presents kids with society. And if you've taken a good long look at society, you know it's hard not to feel hopeless. That is not social media's fault; it is society's fault. We've done this to our kids.

4. yankeesince59

This just in, kids are cruel to other kids, on and off social media.

5. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I have seen this parroted around a lot, but it seems to come from one study that reported that "adolescents and young adults who received puberty blockers or gender-affirming hormones had 60% lower odds of depression and 73% lower odds of self-harm or suicidal thoughts." Emphasis mine.

And even that statistic seems to be sensationalized (or intentionally misleading). From a review of the study, "At baseline, 59% of the treatment-naive kids experienced moderate to severe depression. Twelve months later, 56% of the kids on GAM experienced moderate to severe depression. At baseline, 45% of the treatment-naive kids experienced self-harm or suicidal thoughts. Twelve months later, 37% of the kids on GAM did. These are not meaningful differences: The kids in the study arrived with what appear to be alarmingly high rates of mental health problems, many of them went on blockers or hormones, and they exited the study with what appear to be alarmingly high rates of mental health problems."

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    riverman likes this.
  6. Everything Beagle

Thanks for the clarification! I hope that nobody takes this review of the study as evidence that GAM is not good (it is) and that someday a study can be done in an environment where being trans isn’t literal hell, and so becoming trans can be studied without the noise of people hating trans people for being trans.

7. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

It is just sad to me how many parents are not involved in their kids lives. One of my girls lost a friend to suicide. They were a very kind and happy kid, but their parents never showed up for events, whether day or night. Just no involvement. They would always run up with a smile and talk with my wife and I. I talked with them just a couple days before their suicide and they were so happy. I just wonder what could have been done to save them. I have no idea about their home life, but know that the parents were never around. I now go out of my way even more to make sure and cheer and support those kind of kids whose parents are never around. Just a little support in their lives to hopefully let them know that people care. If you go to events in schools, always support all the kids because you never know who is struggling and not getting the support they need at home.

8. yankeesince59

Thought we were supposed to keep certain topics in certain threads?

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  9. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I can totally see how spiking a kid like a football can cause mental problems. Always try to spike them so they land feet first.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Man come on… is it really so much to not have every thread devolve into a gun debate? Nobody is changing anyone’s mind.

11. yankeesince59

Guns ?

12. Everything Beagle

Sorry, I think you’re talking about me and the gorilla… I’ll try to keep it to the one thread; I just was using it as an example of mental health issues for kids is all.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  13. RekidaSmart

RekidaSmart New Member

Clearly, there is an urgent need for more accessible and practical mental health support in our communities. While necessary for immediate crisis intervention, the emergency department may not provide the long-term solutions these young people need. We must focus on early intervention, de-stigmatizing mental health, and investing in comprehensive youth mental health services. We should also spread the word about community, support groups, and ptsd hotline to get our kids the help they need in time. Together we can create a healthier and more supportive environment for our young generation.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    riverman likes this.
  14. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

What a weird first post... Welcome to the Trailblazers forum

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  15. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

If only we had a political party who was serious about getting everyone access to all necessary healthcare. Including mental health.

riverman likes this.
  16. cacheroxz

cacheroxz New Member

Hey, I completely feel you on this. It's heartbreaking to see kids going through mental health crises, especially when parents aren't involved. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's friend. It's tough to understand why some parents aren't there for their kids.
    I recently stumbled upon an article online about depersonalization. It's a mind-boggling topic that might interest you. Give it a read if you're curious.
    But hey, kudos to you for going the extra mile to support those kids whose parents aren't around. It's so important to show them that they're cared for and valued. We never know who's struggling and needs that extra support. Let's be there for all the kids, no matter what. Together, we can make a difference.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Our home was always a sanctuary for my son's friends who had no input at home and were lost ...those kids now are grown and still come to visit us as uncle and auntie whenever they are around. We only had one child but there were always 3 or 4 of these kids camped out in the backyard on the weekends. They are all still best of friends and their kids are now friends. It takes a village to raise a child...some parents have never grown into adulthood in m view. Shame that they choose to have children and don't know how to raise them. Sadly in my experience, alcohol is usually where those parents spend their energy and money.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  18. Malcolmblank

Malcolmblank New Member

It's heartbreaking to see the struggles young people face today. It's like they're bombarded from all sides with expectations, standards, and a world that often feels like it's stacked against them. You're right about the importance of support and understanding, especially for marginalized groups like trans youth. The statistics you mentioned are eye-opening and should serve as a wake-up call for everyone.

19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

The internet and the level of anonymity which comes along with it gives many the illusion that it’s okay to treat people however you want. People often think that since they will never see someone in person, they can say whatever they want. People become victims of somebody else’s pent up hostility or negative emotions, with others neglecting to understand that the target of their negativity is a human being like themselves going through God only knows what in their personal lives.

We make it what it is, which is why it’s important to do what we can to make it a safe place for others and to stand up against online bullying whenever we see it.

Many video games are notoriously toxic, and the same can be said about some message boards. Places like Reddit. In some places it has become accepted as normal to behave in negative ways towards others, at times being applauded by people rather than condemned.

It’s important to realize that a lot of the time places on the internet are where individuals struggling with day to day socialization go to try and find a social outlet.

20. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

And before the Internet it was rock and roll. And before that it was marijuana. And before that it was whatever else was new, and before that it was women showing their ankles...

Universal education, universal healthcare, and an improved social safety net.

Happy, healthy people, in an encouraging environment that will only allow you to fall so far is the solution.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024