Notice Report: NBA sets framework for in-season tournament, eight-team knockout stage

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Sep 10, 2022.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've never watched an NFL pro bowl game in my life.....yawn.

tykendo likes this.
  2. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

Cup Games: Start of regular season until end of November. Teams play their scheduled games.

Teams 1-8 are determined.

December - Single Elimination Games:

For simplicity, let's assume higher seeded team wins.

Tournament Quarter Finals:
    1 v 8
    2 v 7
    3 v 6
    4 v 5

Tournament Semi Finals:
    1 v 4
    2 v 3

Tournament Finals:
    1 v 2

All games above count towards normal regular season. For example: 1 v 8 will have one or two or three or four upcoming scheduled regular season matchups before the tournament. Well, now that they're playing a game in the tournament, use the tournament game count as one of their regular season games. This means, if they had three remaining games between them, they would now only have two - one game will be removed from the schedule.

Also in December, teams 9-30 will play their scheduled games, unless their opponent is still in the tournament. Those games will be rescheduled at a later date, after tournament.

They will make the schedule such that there is nothing like the Blazers v Suns this season in which we play them three times by early November.

It's not that complicated. It's gunna add early regular season excitement, simply by getting creative with the schedule.

Imagine how you feel in late March when teams are in the final stretch, you will now have that in November.

The winner gets $$$ or whatever they come up with

blazerkor and HailBlazers like this.
  3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Not sure I like the sound of that. I can see us being sent to Boston between two home games late in the season

handiman likes this.
  4. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Actually went to the '88 Pro Bowl. That was when they actually tackled and hit. It was a cool event, but the game wasn't that entertaining.

5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

What a waste of time and energy.

Ed O and tykendo like this.
  6. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

They should have a free throw shooting competition, where they take free throw stats over the course of eight much-more-meaningful games and then give a big trophy to the best free throw-shooting teams.

Or count up the number of charges taken and then multiply it by the square root of the mean price of Dogecoin over the Thursdays in December.

You know. Spice it up. Give the fans what they want.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Economics doesn't necessarily work that way. Raising ticket prices could lead to less revenue since there would be more unsold tickets.

I'm also not convinced less games equals less revenue. NFL has way more revenue than the NBA, which league has more games?

8. SharpesTriumph

Guarantteee of HCA in round 1. So basically the 4th seed. That's a real benefit, but there is still a lot to play for, top 3 seeds, HCA in following 3 rounds of the playoffs. I doubt any team good enough to win midseason would ever just pack it in.

9. SharpesTriumph

Exactly! Less games mean they actually matter.

An NBA game means less than a quarter of an NFL game.

beast crnjo likes this.
  10. GoBlazersGo

GoBlazersGo Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah, he does! I mean, have you seen @Mediocre Man's new shoes? Combine those with his kick-ass dance moves & you have a money printing machine rivaled only by The Fed!

Eastoff and Hoopguru like this.
  11. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I agree. I think one thing that’s cool is the teams in the in-season finals end up playing 83 games. That one extra win on Christmas Day could swing the seeding in April.

Eastoff and Chris Craig like this.
  12. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That's still ridiculous. Then the team who earned that 4th seed the hard way doesn't get it. That's messed up.

Phatguysrule and Fairly-Hard like this.
  13. KSF-ERIC

So you think the first two months of the season are a waste of time and energy, tourney or not? Well that’s what they’re attempting to fix.

Basically, if given the choice, the people who are against the tourney are taking the position that they want November games to be less important.

14. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's kind of the opposite. The tournament will make them count for less in the long run. The winner takes four seed from the team who actually put in the work to earn it.

Wouldn't you be pissed if the Blazers earned fourth seed, but it got taken away by a team that won the tournament?

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. KSF-ERIC

1) Football stadiums are bigger than NBA arenas.

2) You wish to kill the livelihoods of arena staff and the surrounding community by reducing the schedule from 41+ games to 10?

16. KSF-ERIC

I agree there. A team like Houston could get and hot in Nov and win the inseason tourney but not win enough to make the playoffs. Maybe the winner is guaranteed a PLAY-IN spot. You play the rest of the year knowing you have the 10 spot to fall back on. I’d get behind that idea.

17. KSF-ERIC

No I’m with you here. Take seeding out of it. Having a trophy for games in November makes November more interesting. Just like how they changed Vegas Summer League to have all 30 teams and a tournament. I.E. they made it more fun.

18. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't want the winner of the in seasons tournament to get anything in the way of draft or playoff seeding considerations. I think the winner should get a fucking trophy and put something in their rafters and everyone should know it doesn't mean nearly as much as the Finals but that it does mean something. This will only enhance the games that it affects. I don't know why anyone here dislikes the idea. I could see some of you not giving a shit about it at this point but not disliking it.

The NBA wants more advertising dollars for early or mid regular season games. They've seen other leagues do it. They think they can do it without stepping outside of the current teams that they have put together. I think they're right. I thought it might be a logistical nightmare but then I realized it's literally two fucking games for every team that the league couldn't plan for and would have to schedule once the tournament teams were decided... that seems manageable to me.

Oh and by the way, if we get in this little tourney and we win the whole thing, most of you here that are shitting on this right now will be elated. Not as happy as if we win an actual NBA Finals but I think almost all of us will still be pretty damn stoked.

19. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

No one suggested only playing 17 games. And most revenue comes from tv.

As to point 2, i don't care. That's not what we're talking about here. It will free them up to work more shifts at taco bell if it makes you happy.

20. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

Seeding doesn't really matter in a 7 game series format. The nba regular season is like one long preseason.