Notice Report: NBA sets framework for in-season tournament, eight-team knockout stage

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Sep 10, 2022.

1. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

Yes, draft compensation are meant to be for teams that aren't good. . And it's possible that the tournament winner sucks the rest of the way that they're out of the playoffs so any playoff seeding rewards don't make sense either. All this tournament does is make games in November and December more exciting. It's new so people are critical of it, but once it becomes a tradition, fans will enjoy it. This and the play-in games are great ways to spice up the regular season. And the logistics won't need to be a nightmare. There are 3+ months of regular season games left after the tournament that rescheduling a few games will be doable

Eastoff, blazerkor and HailBlazers like this.
  2. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I am up for trying it, no harm in trying it and continuing to improve on the idea over time. Doesn't hurt to mix it up and try to make the season for interesting over the Christmas break.

Eastoff, blazerkor and PtldPlatypus like this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Bragging what? Serious question

BankTeller and THE HCP like this.
  4. Mediocre Man

Being shaped like the ball, does not make you a “soccer guy”

5. Mediocre Man

Finally some damn respect

SlyPokerDog and GoBlazersGo like this.
  6. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

You don't Know Respect!
    You don't Hear Respect!

7. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Post of the year nominee, FAMS

Phatguysrule and THE HCP like this.
  8. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Well good look trying to get Bron Bron to play for $50k or $100k to his charity LOL.

A bunch of other stars too. No harm in trying a tournament if its done right. Right now though, the details DEFINITELY need ironing out, having more games just for the sake of more basketball isn’t the answer.

That’s actually not totally true that “we” make up what matters. Sure we get a little bit, but the stars make up what matters. It’s just like the sleeve jerseys, Silver said they would be gone if the players ultimately didn’t like them, and that’s what happened. If stars don’t end up playing and it goes 2-3 years, they might just cut it.

Also, for the Euro stars, is this tournament going to be more important than playing for their country in the summer? How do you convince that this “prize” is worth anywhere close to an NBA championship or even an Olympic/FIBA medal?

9. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

There won’t be more games. Just 1 for the finals teams. All the games will count as regular season games. Why will LeBron be LESS interested in a regular season game since it’s also a tournament game? That doesn’t make sense. If you get in the finals, that one extra win could help with seeding at the end of the season.

10. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

I've covered the soccer tournament that is held like this with the MLS. It allowed our 3rd or 4th tier team to go toe to toe with the Houston Dynamo one year and that was pretty cool. This is NOT THAT. This is just more NBA teams playing each other. Sorry but after a year or two not a single casual fan will care about it and it will fade into just being another thing that doesn't really matter. How many of you ran out and bought your Blazers Summer League Champions merch? That's about how much weight this thing should carry with it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    Phatguysrule likes this.
  11. Fairly-Hard

We're still waiting for a ring on Ebay! @SlyPokerDog is buying! Gonna use some of that $10 a post fortune he has!

SlyPokerDog and bigbailes like this.
  12. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

Oh please ... we all know he's laundering Denny's fortune. How else can you explain all the gifts he takes Mrs. HCP on their weekly 'visits'? There is a reason Denny has gone into hiding, THE MAN was closing in on him!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    Fairly-Hard and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

I thought for a bit @SlyPokerDog and @Denny Crane were the same person?
    Then i found out Denny might be Q?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Wait so is it a tournament game or a regular season game?

I was under the impression this was outside of the regular season. But if it’s a regular season game, that’s not a tournament game. That’s just game 83. “One extra win”…again, your implications on the impact of this “tournament” game sounds like it is essentially another regular season game.

Hopefully, it’s a well thought-out plan if they roll this out.

Hoopguru likes this.
  15. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

They'll incorporate it into the regular season. The regular season games leading up to the eight team tourney will count towards the tourney seeding. Then the games during the tourney count as regular season games, except the final game which will be one extra game for each of the final two teams. Some teams outside of the tourney will get up to two games shuffled around but that's the only logistical headache.

The goal is obviously to get mid season ratings up and I think it will accomplish that goal. I think any team who is a legit contender will want to win both titles once this new in season tourney starts. I know if the Blazers were in it, I'd be far more excited for those tourney games and the games leading up to the tourney than I would regularly be. I'd also love that tourney championship even though it's nothing close to the Larry O'Brien.

16. Mediocre Man

It won’t make me watch more games I couldn’t give two fucks the the Blazers win some meaningless mid season tournament

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

They just got rid of the of the pro bowl. It will be skills challenges and a flag football game now.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So we get to have our hearts broken twice a season now.

BankTeller likes this.
  19. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If that's the way you want to look at it. It just adds more intrigue to the games that count towards making the mid season tourney and the 6 games that will make up the tourney. It's a money move and one that I think will pay off for the league and bring some more buzz to a part of the season usually lacking as much interest from casuals.

@Mediocre Man as I've said previously in this thread I think many diehards won't initially give any fucks about the lead up to the tourney or the tourney but some will and that will increase viewership. Those die hard fans watch all of the games anyway and casual fans that don't watch games until the run up to the playoffs will be even more likely to give a fuck about something shiny and new. After a few years though I think any fan base whose team has a chance to win this thing will be all in on it.

20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

If we were a good team, YES I'd be more interested.