Rick Nash and Michael Grabner WILL NOT play tonight for the Rangers

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Feb 22, 2018.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Getting closer to some of the bigger deals happening. Smart to not play them. Zero upside to risk injury.

2. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Plus as an added bonus we have a better chance of losing again #WeNeedATop5Pick

I am going to the game tomorrow night and Sunday night (in NYC for the weekend) not exactly the best timing

RangersFan likes this.
  3. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Twitter saying grabner ti devils? For a 3rd rounder?

4. Disturbed

Software
    2nd and prospect

5. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Would've liked a 1st but it could be a mid-2nd which isn't bad, and Zykov supposedly is a 3rd round type talent who went later. He seems to be progressing over in the KHL.

6. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of this move. Not huge fans of Russian players in the NHL.

7. RangersFan

Not a fan because why would you trade Grabner in the division, and to a local rival, unless it was for a premium price. Unless Gorton loved this Rykov kid and he turns out to be quite the player, this one I don't love.

Do we need to see Grabner making big plays for the Devs down the stretch and in the playoffs, and then potentially resign there if he enjoys it. That would really annoy me.

So not a fan of dealing Grabner locally unless the prospect turns out to be real good. We could have gotten a 2nd rounder from many teams, why deal with a local rival.

8. RangersFan

Just looked to see if maybe it was an earlier 2nd rounder due to a trade the Devs may have made, and it is not. So it is the Devs 2nd rounder, which may be a little earlier than some of the top teams unless they make a deep playoff run, but certainly not worth dealing him locally within the division in my opinion. It is still a later 3rd of the 2nd round pick at best.

This one puzzles me due to the team Grabner was dealt to (first trade between the teams) again unless this Rykov kid turns out to be a real good player.

If I have to watch Grabner help the Devs go a long way this year and/or see him resign there and help them next season and beyond, I will be very angry at Gorton for this one.

I have no issue with the return for Grabner, but why to a local rival in the same division.

9. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the exact same thing in back-to-back posts. Wasn't quite sure if you were a fan of the deal or not based on you only saying it twice in your first go-round.

Safe to say Nash gets about the same in return? Feels like McD, if dealt, is the only one who will return a #1.

10. RangersFan

Good call Grey. Sorry I posted twice on a dead board with 4 regular posters...LOL.

Anyway, I think we'll get a 1st rounder plus for Nash for sure. Don't see anyway that doesn't happen. Maybe the 1st rounder is a current top prospect instead, but either way it will be a better package I'd say.

Nash will return a 1st OR a top prospect which equals a 1st I believe.

11. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I don't care if gorton traded to devils or isles if its the best deal out there.. Its someone who is a free agent in a couple months. I'm sure gorton didn't say I have better offers out there but I'll do this to piss chuck off. Obviously it was the best offer he had. He plays on the same team as shestorkin and I'm betting the rangers have seen a lot of this kid who is a 20yr old d-man 6'2 and 220lbs whose MO says he is a physical player. Would like one of those on the rangers. His contract expires the same time as shestorkin after 2018-2019 season and maybe they come together here. And if we really want to I imagine we can sign him back after the season

What part of the fact that Michael Grabner is a bottom 6 forward who is a rental are most #NYR[​IMG] fans missing? A 2nd rounder AND a prospect is an absolute haul! That pick will be a mid level pick also. Somewhere btwn 40-50

12. Disturbed

Software
    I wonder if they already have a deal in place to resign Grabner.

Maybe he didn’t want to move from NYC. I’d be surprised if they don’t resign him and for all his goals he only has 31 points.

He’s a bottom 6 forward who is awesome at killing penalties and is a good teammate. A 2nd rounder isn’t bad especially when we resign him in July.

RangersFan likes this.
  13. RangersFan

From what I read from multiple sources many teams were in on this for 2nd rounder picks. Not sure I would have chosen the Devs offer if all was even somewhat equal, but the return was fine as I even said. We now hopefully will add another 1st for Nash and we'll be stocked with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Good stuff to me.

14. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

I don’t know nearly enough about the prospect, but I don’t understand getting a d-man when we need scorers. This franchise just can’t do anything right I feel like.

15. nj cup

nj cup Member

I’m going to assume a few things.

Rykov probably told the devils he didn’t want to play for them and threatened not coming over (still a risk for you guys)

Also maybe the deals weren’t as great as they appeared? I mean to trade him to a absolute rival? This had to be the best deal by 2 miles.

Shero Loves his second round picks so I find it hard to believe he would part with one if he didn’t think he could resign Grabner.

Also no disrespect but why would grabner want to go back to the rangers? They will be in a rebuild he’s 30. Devils are on the up swing they play his style to a T. He also doesn’t have to move wherever he is living to play for the devils. My gut is he resigns with the devils esp since they got the cap space to offer a little more if needed.

Rykov is a solid prospect without a doubt but he was a 5th round pick that hasn’t played a lick of NA hockey (if I remember correctly) and the khl isn’t exactly the toughest league. It’s basically a second and a lotto ticket for grabner.

16. RangersFan

I don't agree with your rebuild comment nj. We shall see. I don't think the Rangers envision punting on next season at all. Now it may end up being that way. Grabner certainly may sign somewhere else (or with the Devs). But I don't think the Rangers view next season as a rebuild punt year. Not their usual MO.

I do agree that in order to deal with a big rival it needed to be the best deal by far. Based on all the reports from numerous writers there were other teams in the mix with 2nd round picks, so not sure this deal qualifies as that (plus there are still 3 days until the DL), but it is what it is now from a Rangers POV. Gorton made the deal and the return is very solid for Grabner. Just not sure if it was worthy of being the first EVER deal between the Rangers and Devs (doubt it was so much better than other potential offers).

17. nj cup

nj cup Member

I hear ya. I was shocked at the deal myself and if the situation was reversed not sure how I would feel helping your playoff chances.

As far as the rebuild. Say grabner Nash don’t resign and you do trade away mcd and zucc. You get your picks and prospects. Who’s replacing those guys next year? The metro is insanely tough as is and only going to get tougher. Imo you want a rebuild. This retool on the fly crap doesn’t work and it’s jusr patchwork. Have to fully commit to one way.

Unfortunately lundqvist will keep you guys from really bottoming out and that doesn’t mean tank.

18. RangersFan

Again to me it is a we shall see. If the Rangers have cap space and can sign a few guys, and have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, after two first round picks last year anything can happen. Plus they can win the lottery or they can package all of those extra picks to move up. Again we shall see.

And being a good team doesn't mean winning a cup for sure. I personally don't think the Rangers will view next year as a punt year. I think they will try and do what the Yanks just did (and I am not comparing them as apples to apples because no cap baseball and hockey are very different). Just saying I feel like this is how the Rangers will view next season.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  19. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Factor in that the Devils are one of the worst drafting teams in hockey with defenseman. It would be hilarious if they actually finally drafted a good one and we stole him for a rental.

20. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

It is a little surprising he decided to deal with NJ, but if there was no 1st on the table he may have figured that would be the best 2nd, plus maybe Rykov playing with Shest and Buch/Kovalchuk will help get him to come over. Sounds like the kid may have more upside than Bereglazov but it can't hurt to add another dman to the system. Maybe we package both seconds and move into the late 1st in what's supposed to be a strong draft.