Ricky Davis.. 6th Man of the Year?

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by AA13, Mar 17, 2005.

1. MiamiBalla12

MiamiBalla12 JBB Light-Skinned Assassin

The thing about ricky davis is he averages more than 8 minutes per game than ben gordon. I feel that he plays too much time in the game to be a 6th man. he plays more than the starting 2 guard tony allen.

2. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting miamiballa12:</div><div class="quote_post">The thing about ricky davis is he averages more than 8 minutes per game than ben gordon. I feel that he plays too much time in the game to be a 6th man. he plays more than the starting 2 guard tony allen.</div> [​IMG] That's funny. How can you play too much time to be a sixth man? The award is given to the best bench player. It has nothing to do with efficiency.

3. CeltixQueen

CeltixQueen JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iguodala:</div><div class="quote_post">Ricky Davis deserves every bit Gordon is close but Davis will get it after watching his last games and what he did comming from the bench there will be no dought</div>

I couldnt agree more!! And that coming from a Sixers fan? Yea- Lol...

4. CeltixQueen

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting miamiballa12:</div><div class="quote_post">The thing about ricky davis is he averages more than 8 minutes per game than ben gordon. I feel that he plays too much time in the game to be a 6th man. he plays more than the starting 2 guard tony allen.</div>

I agree with Thrilla!! And the only reason hes averaging more 8 more mins than Gordon, is because he doesn't get a tired as quick and the coach keeps him in longer!

5. NUMBA 17

NUMBA 17 JBB JustBBall Member

I dont think the fact that Ricky gets alot of minutes off the bench should be held against him. The Sixth Man comes off the bench, as long as he comes off the bench, he qualifies for 6th Man. The reason he GETS alot of minutes is how GOOD he plays when he comes off that bench. Any 6th man of the year candidate is gonna get more minutes than the usual guy off the bench.

A good sixth man may not start, but he FINISHES the game. Thats how the Celtics use Ricky. Both him and Gordon have been excellent off the bench, but Ricky scores more than Gordon, and has a better shooting percentage than Gordon. If he doesnt win 6th Man of the Year, something is wrong.

6. Umer remU

Umer remU JBB Banned Member

ben gordan is much better 6 man then ricky davis, the jaw dropping 6'3 gaurd for the bulls, is so much more important to the bulls winning games than ricky davis is, ben has won more than 15 games single handedly for the bulls, when the bulls need someone to step up and win a game, he's the man they call, ben basically explodes out there, anyone see that 22 point 4th quarter to pull out a win in charlette? just amazing, how bout 5 3pointers in the 4th quarter against the sixers? this guy has set records for most 20 point performances off the bench, the most important were when the game is on the line, that is the time when legends are made (MJ, Magic, Bird, even Kobe, Wade) ben stepped up and hit shots that counted more than anyother shot during the game. from all the the balla's nominated for 6th man ben gordan not only is the best he's also the most CLUTCH

7. jaytheking

jaytheking JBB JustBBall Member

the celts are a dangerous team cuz of ricky, when you have ricky antoine and paul on the court u cant give up on defense or they will drop a whole lot of points on you......but i think ben gordon is rookie of the year and 6th man of the year.......he is nearly unstoppable he can score whenever he wants he once scored like 35 points in 21 mins lol......the kid is incredible.........6 game winning shots in his rookie year lolololol i am at a loss of words he's going to be a star if he is not already......the bulls are a very lucky franchise.......gordon will be a starter next year im predicting at the 2!

8. CeltixQueen

Gordon is great and I'v had opportunities to watch him play, but it sounds like to me that you guys have never watched Ricky play (more than one game) because, if you have there would be no question that he deserves the award.He is a huge part of the team and he was awarded with the honor of the Celtics MVP, this week.
    It also has to do with his past throughout the years he has matured into a player more concerened about the sucess of his team than his own individual statistics, proving that by being taken out of the starting lineup and accepting his new role off the bench, helping to balance the second unit (which at many times is way more affective than the first) I think that will come into play, come time to vote.

9. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I can't stand when people try to hold Gordon's 4th quarters against Ricky. Please tell me the NBA superstar that Gordon has to defer to in the 4th. Ricky does pretty well for himself in the 4th considering he's the 2nd or 3rd option. Unless of course he is covered by a pathetic defensive player such as Ben Gordon. (Anybody remember Ricky going wild on him this year? I do.) Then he's the number one option, and I can't remember a game in which he failed to come through when called upon in the clutch.

Also, I guess scoring is the only thing that matters in basketball games (even though Ricky scores more than Gordon). Ricky's ability to rebound and set up teammates must mean absolutely nothing. Oh, and the fact that he is an above average defender means nothing, too. Because I don't ever see Gordon guarding the other team's best scorer, let alone every night.

10. CeltixQueen

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 44Thrilla:</div><div class="quote_post">Unless of course he is covered by a pathetic defensive player such as Ben Gordon. (Anybody remember Ricky going wild on him this year? I do.) .</div>

Awesome!! How could you forget that?? And it seems as if Ricky always has to cover the superstars such as Kobe, Iverson, Wade, Richard Hamilton, etc- and he does a pretty good job I think!

11. CeltixQueen

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting miamiballa12:</div><div class="quote_post">he plays more than the starting 2 guard tony allen.</div>

Thats because Tony Allen is a rookie and he is learning how to play the game. Ricky adds a lot of zing to the bench, he is the leader of the second unit and develops the majority of the plays. And you dont often find teams that can match someone up with Ricky Davis. [​IMG]

12. CeltixQueen

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Umer remU:</div><div class="quote_post">anyone see that 22 point 4th quarter to pull out a win in charlette?</div>

The bulls should not be losing to the Bobcats anyways, try being a huge part in wins against top ranked teams such as Pheonix in Pheonix or Houston in Houston...

13. QbanBalla15

QbanBalla15 JBB JustBBall Member

I agre with MimaiBalla Gordon definately deserves this award more than davis. You can credit about 6 wins to Ben Gordon If not for him they wouldn't have come so far. Ricky is a great player but he takes way to many shots, and like miamiballa said he plays more than tony allen. Doc should just start ricky then.

14. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Ricky shoots too much????

Davis shoots 46%
    Gordon shoots 41%

Maybe it's Gordon that shoots too much. Ben has actually taken 12 more shots than Ricky as I type this.

Please learn the facts before you post, please.

15. QbanBalla15

Who else on chicago shots as well as ben who makes big playes when it maters most. Ben Gordon. One game that is overlooked is when he single handedly beat the miamiheat.

16. CeltixQueen

I understand Gordon makes game winning shots, but Davis does too. He has made plenty of game winning shots. But when you have an All-Star in Paul Pierce who is the captain of the team, you must be a good enough player to take the last shot instead of him.

17. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CeltixQueen:</div><div class="quote_post">I understand Gordon makes game winning shots, but Davis does too. He has made plenty of game winning shots. But when you have an All-Star in Paul Pierce who is the captain of the team, you must be a good enough player to take the last shot instead of him.</div>

So if u have ricky davis and Ben gordan on ur team and there is 5 seconds left to win, who are u gonna draw a play up for? Ricky or Ben, and why?

18. QbanBalla15

When has Davis made a game winner not to shoot down ur arguement im just curious

19. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting QbanBalla15:</div><div class="quote_post">When has Davis made a game winner not to shoot down ur arguement im just curious</div>

do you read? this is what im replying to.

Originally Posted by CeltixQueen
    <u>I understand Gordon makes game winning shots, but Davis does too. He has made plenty of game winning shots.</u> But when you have an All-Star in Paul Pierce who is the captain of the team, you must be a good enough player to take the last shot instead of him.

20. QbanBalla15

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">do you read? this is what im replying to.

Originally Posted by CeltixQueen
    <u>I understand Gordon makes game winning shots, but Davis does too. He has made plenty of game winning shots.</u> But when you have an All-Star in Paul Pierce who is the captain of the team, you must be a good enough player to take the last shot instead of him.</div>

R u kidding me. All i asked was how many game winners davis made. By the way Pierce made a game winner vs. the best team in the east. I wasnt responding to you I was talking bout celtix queen. I would pick Ben without a doubt I don't care whos shooting% is better becasue half those shots are dunks and layups.