Ricky Davis.. 6th Man of the Year?

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by AA13, Mar 17, 2005.

1. kingrex

kingrex JBB JustBBall Member

Head-to-Head Comparison

Davis / Gordon
    PPG: 16.0 / 15.1
    RPG: 3.0 / 2.6
    APG: 3.0 / 2.0
    SPG: 1.09 / .65
    BPG: .33 / .12
    FG%: .462 / .411
    3P%: .339 / .405
    MPG: 32.9 / 24.4

The only category Gordon beats Davis is in three point FG%, so production-wise, Davis is the better 6th man.

2. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

^ You seem to forgot to mention that Gordon is playing a whole 8 minutes less than Davis is. Also, Gordon's impact is probably bigger if you look at it recordwise. Yes, he isn't the greatest player of all time, but he's pulled through for us in so many games, we'd probably be lurking around the 7th seed without him. In a quick estimation, if Gordon played 33 minutes, he'd average around 20 ppg(just a quick est. so I'm quite possibly wrong). RPG he's barely losing in less time, he isnt as good of a passer or ballhawk, blocks isn't a factor here, FG% is but both of them lead the other one in one of the 2 categories, and Gordon gets almost a whole quarter's worth of time.

My pick: Ben Gordon, you can't let the man go awardless, as it seems more unlikely that he wins ROY

3. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ObieCent:</div><div class="quote_post">^ You seem to forgot to mention that Gordon is playing a whole 8 minutes less than Davis is. </div>....yet he still managed to take more shots.

4. YSM5

YSM5 JBB JustBBall Member

yea i agree

5. CeltixQueen

CeltixQueen JBB JustBBall Member

Gordon and Davis are both great players. Gordon will probably win the award because hes a rookie and his returning the bulls to the playoffs..But I honestly do not think they Celtics would have gotten the 3rd seed if it wasnt for the all around effort, and Veteran leadership of Davis.. It doesnt matter if Gordon wins the award, I think all Celtic fans know Davis is the better sixth man..

6. QbanBalla15

QbanBalla15 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CeltixQueen:</div><div class="quote_post">Gordon and Davis are both great players. Gordon will probably win the award because hes a rookie and his returning the bulls to the playoffs..But I honestly do not think they Celtics would have gotten the 3rd seed if it wasnt for the all around effort, and Veteran leadership of Davis.. It doesnt matter if Gordon wins the award, I think all Celtic fans know Davis is the better sixth man..</div>

Veteran leadership maybe i'e heard some bad things about him from other teams he was traded from, and of course celtics fans think davis is better, there was no point in saying that.

7. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting QbanBalla15:</div><div class="quote_post">Veteran leadership maybe i'e heard some bad things about him from other teams he was traded from, and of course celtics fans think davis is better, there was no point in saying that.</div>Can you please rephrase that so that it's legible? I'd love to respond to that but I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

8. QbanBalla15

i mispelled i've i think u can read it and know what i was trying to say.

9. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting QbanBalla15:</div><div class="quote_post">i mispelled i've i think u can read it and know what i was trying to say.</div>No, I really can't. Are you questioning his leadership qualities and trying to somehow use his past with other teams to support your argument?

10. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

Qbanballa15, I would also like to know what you were trying to say. There is no way you can use Davis's past against him. He has done some crazy things but he has turned over a new leaf. You can't judge a person by what happened in his past. And there is also no way you can question his leadership.

After the way Davis played against the Pacers n game 1 of the series there is no doubt in my mind that he is the sixth man of the year. He came off the bench and scored in the first 8 seconds. Davis was one of the reasons that the Celtics won by such a large margin last night. He really gave them a spark.

11. QbanBalla15

i just dont see his leadership, you guys might hes played well but but gordon just has more of an impact on games than davis, bulls would be a 7 or 8 seed without gordon celtics could probably look at a 4 without ricky.

12. AA13

Response

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting QbanBalla15:</div><div class="quote_post">i just dont see his leadership, you guys might hes played well but but gordon just has more of an impact on games than davis, bulls would be a 7 or 8 seed without gordon celtics could probably look at a 4 without ricky.</div>
    I agree with one part of your statement. You are right the Bulls would be a much lower seed without Gordan. The Celtic's would also have a lower seed if they didn't have Davis. Davis gives them a huge spark off the bench and can put up some big numbers. I look at Davis as if he is the second best player on the team and they use him as a spark off the bench. He provides the Celtic's with points, good defense, assists and some rebounds.

I would really like to know how you can say that Gordan has more of an impact on a game than Davis does. Gordan is Mr. Fourth Quarter and plays best in the late stages of a game. Maybe that is why you say he has more of an impact. But I'm curious to hear your opinion on what Davis does when he comes off the bench and why he doesn't have an impact on games like you say gordan does.

13. QbanBalla15

Ricky Davis- good player, scores a lot, if there was a 5th man award he wud win because hes really the fifth man on their team over tony allen

Ben Gordon- playes 8 minutes less than davis, shoots more because thats what they tell him to do get them in the game by hitting a bunch of shots, thats in response to 44thrilla's comment about gordon shooting more.

14. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting QbanBalla15:</div><div class="quote_post">Ricky Davis- good player, scores a lot, if there was a 5th man award he wud win because hes really the fifth man on their team over tony allen</div>He comes off the bench, right? [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ben Gordon- playes 8 minutes less than davis, shoots more because thats what they tell him to do get them in the game by hitting a bunch of shots, thats in response to 44thrilla's comment about gordon shooting more.</div>
    Not only does he shoot more than Davis, he shoots more than Paul Pierce, too. If you are going to ATTEMPT to discredit Ricky for his minutes, then why can't you accept that as the fact that it is?

I haven't seen one valid reason why Ben Gordon is a better choice in this thread.

15. AA13

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting QbanBalla15:</div><div class="quote_post">Ricky Davis- good player, scores a lot, if there was a 5th man award he wud win because hes really the fifth man on their team over tony allen

Ben Gordon- playes 8 minutes less than davis, shoots more because thats what they tell him to do get them in the game by hitting a bunch of shots, thats in response to 44thrilla's comment about gordon shooting more.</div>True, the Bulls do tell Gordan to shoot more because he can score. But so can Davis.

Ben Gordan's stats for 04-05:

PPG- <u>15.1</u>, RPG- <u>2.6</u>, APG-<u> 2.0</u>

Ricky Davis sats for 04-05:

PPG- <u>16.0</u>, RPG- <u>3.00</u>, APG- <u>3.0</u>

In each statistic Davis is better. This proves that Davis can score as well as Gordan. It also shows that he grabs more boaurds and gets more assists.

You still didn't explain how Gordan has more of an impact on games. All you said is that both players can score and that Gordan shoots more.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ricky Davis- good player, scores a lot, if there was a 5th man award he wud win because hes really the fifth man on their team over tony allen</div>[​IMG] And back to reality, Davis is the Celtic's Sixth Man. If he wasn't then this thread wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be having this debate.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Not only does he shoot more than Davis, he shoots more than Paul Pierce, too. If you are going to ATTEMPT to discredit Ricky for his minutes, then why can't you accept that as the fact that it is?

I haven't seen one valid reason why Ben Gordon is a better choice in this thread.</div>Gordan shoots more than half of the players in the leauge! I completly agree with you 44, there is no way that anyone can discredit Ricky for his minutes. There isn't a single reason out there that Gordan is more deserving of the Sixth Man Award.

16. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

To all who say Ben cant play a whole games. He dropped 30 points tonight to lead the bulls to 1-0 in their series against the wizards. 18 in the first half. playing hard when it counts.

17. QbanBalla15

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AA13:</div><div class="quote_post">True, the Bulls do tell Gordan to shoot more because he can score. But so can Davis.

Ben Gordan's stats for 04-05:

PPG- <u>15.1</u>, RPG- <u>2.6</u>, APG-<u> 2.0</u>

Ricky Davis sats for 04-05:

PPG- <u>16.0</u>, RPG- <u>3.00</u>, APG- <u>3.0</u>

In each statistic Davis is better. This proves that Davis can score as well as Gordan. It also shows that he grabs more boaurds and gets more assists.

You still didn't explain how Gordan has more of an impact on games. All you said is that both players can score and that Gordan shoots more.

[​IMG] And back to reality, Davis is the Celtic's Sixth Man. If he wasn't then this thread wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be having this debate.

Gordan shoots more than half of the players in the leauge! I completly agree with you 44, there is no way that anyone can discredit Ricky for his minutes. There isn't a single reason out there that Gordan is more deserving of the Sixth Man Award.</div>

If Gordon got to play as much as davis he would hav better stats

18. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Like I said on page one of this thread:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">This issue is so debatable that we could spend 3 weeks arguing it and not make any progress.</div>
    I was right. It's been 3 weeks and no progress has been made. I really don't see this thread going anywhere further, as every point has been brought up and argued throughout its 4 pages. Therefore, I'm going to lock this thread and hopefully we can all move on.