Ride the tank

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Nov 1, 2015.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Actually, I think it's a fair point. In 18 games this season he has already surpassed the total amount of minutes he played last year (260 to 259), and the results are not pretty. For example:

2.8PPG/3.1RPG and 7.1/7.8 PER36.
    An abysmal shooting percentage of 36% overall and 18% from 3.
    PER of 4.1 (13.2 last year)
    Total rebounding percentage of 11.6% (18.3% last year)
    More than twice as many turnovers as assists
    83 ORTG (!!!)
    106 DRTG
    The eye test has not been kind either, he has trouble making simple decisions and has absolutely NO touch around the basket whatsoever, and this is with him being a consistent part of the rotation and even starting a few games.

Ha in his best year had a PER of 6.9 with very similar points and rebounding numbers. Ha even shot a better percentage. I am not saying at all that Vonleh will be as bad as Ha, but so far, he's pretty damn close. He's been BAD bad, like really bad.

blue9 likes this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I understand that you have to take summer league with a grain of salt, but the talent is there. We have seen it. He's a kid. He's raw. He lacks confidence. I wish I could take some of you guys seriously, but the speed in which some of you destroyed the Meyers Leonard bandwagon, rebuilt it and hopped on in a big way, and then quickly hopped back off and started to destroy it again, I really can't trust your evaluations.

BBert likes this.
  3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Exactly. Never remember seeing any of that from Ha Seung-jin.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    (Hopefully) In before someone points out they weren't our picks as if that makes your point moot (it doesn't). The point is, that I would like to reiterate, is that they were lotto picks, regardless of whether we acquired them through trade or lotto position. If we get more lotto picks, either by ping pong balls or trade, there is at least the chance to acquire a star player.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  5. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

You destroyed Meyers Leonard right alongside everyone else.

I don't think blue, me or anyone else is saying Vonleh is a lost cause, just that he's bad right now, because he is. Of course the talent is there, but I don't think you should pin your hopes on him putting it all together. Chances are he maxes out somewhere in the middle. I don't really see him turning into a star but its possible.

6. Natebishop3

If this was chess, some fans are happy just taking out the queen or a bishop. They don't think two or three steps ahead. The goal is to kill the king. The goal is to win a championship. Someone like Neil is trying to make the moves to put us in position to ultimately win a championship. Not just make the playoffs. It's pretty clear that Neil is someone that is thinking long term.

Eastoff and BBert like this.
  7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

While I definitely was not on the early Meyers bandwagon, I do recall being excited about his rebounding and outlet passing. The only thing exciting about Vonleh right now is his size and age. Maybe, he'll attain the success that some people think is inevitable, but right now he's just plain bad. There's no other way around it - he's BAD. I'm not saying anything about his future, only his present. Relying on him as an important part of our future is a bad idea. He should be looked at as a potential "cherry on top", not the ice cream, banana, hot fudge, whipped cream, or even the crushed peanuts.

8. Natebishop3

The difference is that I was never on the bandwagon. I wasn't going around calling him Legend.

9. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

You and just about everyone else on this forum wanted to cut him completely before the start of last season.

10. Natebishop3

And at this point, I don't think he'll be worth the contract he'll ultimately get this summer.

11. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I liked what I saw from Meyers in his first game back from his injury. Especially his passing -- his form and delivery literally reminded me of Sabonis (light). And I have never bashed him. You can look it up. ;)

Meyers is still a ways away, but I still think he is going to get there. I also like the way he is starting to carry himself on the court, with more confidence (more sure of himself without having to think about it) and less like a lost puppy. ;)

:cheers:

Orion Bailey and blue9 like this.
  12. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    But will he be worth it the following summer? ;)

13. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

To me, what gets a young guy benched the quickest is not playing D and turning the ball over. Those two areas are what made Ha a joke and Vonleh isn't spectacular of course (he is still learning) but those areas he kills it in (in a good way) vs another bust. They aren't comparable imo.

BBert likes this.
  14. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'd be okay trading Meyers. I don't see him being either a Joel Pryzbilla type or even better than a prime Hawes or Okur?

I'm just not that excited about him, never really have been.

Tunchi and Blazers Roy like this.
  15. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Vonleh will be fine. In 2 years, he could be really good, but he's got a LONG way to go... that's just a fact.

Orion Bailey and KeepOnRollin like this.
  16. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Agreed on both counts.

17. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I don't see Meyers as a potential starter, decent backup proably

Strenuus likes this.
  18. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

CHA, Legend is the next Dirk.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    My concern with Meyers was out in full force against the Clippers. They went small and Paul Pierce was guarding Meyers.....and he did nothing or couldn't do anything to take advantage of that huge mismatch. Meyers has to be able to abuse smaller players on the block so that they are forced to guard him with a bigger player thereby making his outside shooting an advantage.

Orion Bailey and BBert like this.
  20. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Coaching. The coaches have to develop that part of his game, and then put him on the floor and tell him to work the post, and then live with the results. It won't be pretty, but it will be beneficial.

I would love nothing more than to use this season to develop in areas where we're weak. But aside from giving guys PT it doesn't really look like Terry is trying to develop anyone other than CJ and Aminu...and Aminu, I fear, is a lost cause. Terry is at least giving guys minutes and letting them make mistakes, but I haven't noticed a concerted effort to develop specific skills. Instead it appears that he's just told everyone they have the green light to shoot whenever they want.

TBpup likes this.