OT Right To Bear Arms

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Sep 12, 2019.

1. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Is that in the Second Amendment’s fine print?? I must have missed the part about the cops. Oh wait, organized police departments didn’t become a “thing” until 1829.......in England, NOT the U.S. Let’s please quit adding extra bullshit to an amendment that is already vague and arguably misinterpreted every which way but loose.....

riverman and CupWizier like this.
  2. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Have you ever heard of a well regulated militia? I guess not.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    Who do you think enforces our security? The police and the military. 'Nuff said?

3. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Federalist No. 29 (Alexander Hamilton) and Federalist No. 46 (James Madison) go into more detail about the second amendment.

4. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

And you just jumped on the elephant in the room. Who, what and/or where is your “well regulated militia”? The current population who have pretty much unfettered rights to gun ownership? Are mass shootings the acts of a well regulated militia? Gun owners love the word “regulated” in the amendment, and use it to justify their rights. But they hate the word “regulated” if it actually puts any type restrictions on them. We have no militia, well regulated or otherwise. Which seems to blow a hole right through any argument against restrictions on gun ownership.

5. Lanny

Well regulated militia is our police force and National Guard as well as our military.
    A majority in the Supreme Court has ruled mistakenly against that. According to them every Tom, Dick and Harry comprise a well regulated militia. Chief Jusitce Warren Burger said
    that the sale, purchase, and use of guns should be regulated just as automobiles and boats are regulated; such regulations would not violate the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. He also said that a huge national defense establishment has assumed the role of the militia of 200 years ago.

6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Not to me.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    If you check any police force in our state and most. You will find none that are committed to protect you or me. Most will not even commit to show up when called on the same day.
    The second amendment assures us we have the right to do so ourselves. It does not require you to do shit, It only assures us we have the right to bear the means to do so.

Natural law has long stated that men have the right to protected themselves with arm when necessary. Thank god Madison got the mean in the Constitution via the Second amendment some how.
    It is mind boggling to see any man claim that this in not right. It is and you should read Scalia's take in his last majority opinion on the subject.
    It will not go away without one hell of a fight, you can be sure. I am sure.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is not true by any stretch of the imagination......where I live they do good work and know the community...hold weekly Q and As with anyone who has questions...when a kid showed up at the local high school years ago with a weapon they were on site in minutes and confiscated his gun....this was years ago....there are good cops...my cousin in Iowa is my hometown's sheriff now....great guy. Doesn't need to carry a gun around. Knows everybody....if you want to know your local cops learn their names maybe......here I know them by first name...respect those that do good work...blanket criticisms are just bs...it's like saying firemen won't show up if your house is on fire. It's as if vets returning from war are called murderers and baby killers when they step off the boat...snark for the sake of snark...I have another buddy who's a bush pilot in Canada...some folks live in remote areas where nobody can get to until tomorrow..choices. You can protect yourself with a manually chambered hunting weapon...nobody needs an AR15 to protect their home ...you should get by with a shotgun or a snub nose 38.....the handgun police used for a long time.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And what if the American military and the American police force isn't on our side anymore?

10. Natebishop3

This is just plain wrong. The national guard is, for all intents and purposes, the US military. They go through the same bootcamp, they deploy overseas with the military, and they wear "US Army" on their chest.

11. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    In Lanny's post he mentioned military so how was he wrong?

12. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Then I guess that’s when you need your AK47 or whatever so you can take on the US military. Good luck.

riverman and Lanny like this.
  13. Lanny

What if gravity doesn't work anymore?

riverman likes this.
  14. Lanny

Wrong again. The National Guard is under control of the governor of the state they represent. They only get under the control of the military when the President orders it.
    In any case both the National Guard and the military are well regulated. Private individuals are not well regulated.

calvin natt, Hoopguru and riverman like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Then you are fucked....anywhere on the planet. I've seen Martial Law in countries where soldiers are on the streets in full gear. If that happens here....a coup has succeeded. Personally I don't see that ever happening here.

Lanny and calvin natt like this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The wear US Army National Guard on their chest....just like there's a USN and a USNR......I thought you knew about this soldiering shit?

17. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I don’t think so. Trying to flush out the most heavily armed population on the planet would be no simple task. Look at Afghanistan as a comparison. We’re still over there fucking around with guerillas and it’s not nearly as big, and it’s people not nearly as armed. It would be a mess for decades.

18. Natebishop3

They do not. That would be one long ass name tape dude. They wear US Army.

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

It's interesting that the Support The Troops crowd also wants to be able to kill them.

rotary111, Lanny and calvin natt like this.
  20. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!