Exclusive RipCityTwo 2022 Big Board: Pick #1

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Mar 29, 2022.

?

If you are the GM, and the Blazers have the #1 pick, who would you draft (as of 3/29/22)

Poll closed Apr 1, 2022.
  1. Jabari Smith

83.3%
  2. Chet Holmgren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Paolo Banchero

11.1%
  4. Jaden Ivey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shaedon Sharpe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Keegan Murray

5.6%
  7. Jalen Duren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Johnny Davis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Benedict Mathurin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (Specify in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

This is the first of several threads intended to create a forum consensus big board. After the combine when we have measurements and know where we're picking, we'll do it again.

So pick your #1, defend it vehemently, argue ferociously, and we'll do another one each couple days through April until we get through the top 14.

Strenuus likes this.
  2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't know about vehemence and ferocity but I have Jabari at the top of my board. He's an amazing shooter who was forced into shots that Dame would have him taking open instead of double teamed. He's a great rebounder. He is really solid on defense and would complement Nurk by being able to cover the perimeter and having the speed to get back to help protect the rim. He runs the court really well and finishes around the hoop. Besides the knock on his shot selection and him not being an elite athlete but still a pretty solid one, I don't think there's a bad thing about his game. He's ready to contribute to wins right now and has a high upside too.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  3. PtldPlatypus

I'm sure Banchero could contribute day 1, but I can't overlook Smith's defense and athleticism. I'd have to take him, but I'd have no confidence that there wouldn't be several other players who might make me look stupid.

blazerkor likes this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

100% that this draft is filled with a ton of different experts grading out all of these guys differently. If we got the number one pick it would be paramount, if we are building around Dame, to have Paolo, Jabari and Chet in for workouts and see how they handle NBA level speed on defense. I think all of them have offensive games that are known quantities but I don't know how Paolo will look on D against NBA level players, I have assumptions about what Chet's limited speed would do but he's been able to make up for that with high defensive IQ and extreme length up to this point. So yeah, I like Jabari first right now but this draft is pretty wild.

5. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

I vote for Keegan Murray, who will provide the Siakam talent that we need at PF with coaching by Chauncey and staff. Keegan scores efficiently from swish3, the paint, and at the rim scoring, is strong and powerful, plays defense, and has the energy that the Chauncey coached Blazers opt for. He is more likely to be available for the Blazer lottery pick, and with some improved skills can be an NBA star to help build the Blazer Championship team.

6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Does Dame have another cousin coming into the league?

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

Interesting choice at the #1 pick, but to each his own. I have a feeling you'll be voting for Murray in several threads before he becomes the consensus selection at a draft slot.

8. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    If we are #1, that means Detroit is behind us. If they are in the Top-3, I might consider swapping picks with them and adding another asset. Maybe we get Grant w/0 having to give up the 2nd Lottery pick? It is believed they really want Banchero. I believe I'd take Grant and say the #3 pick for the rights to Banchero. That leaves you with Smith or Chet + Grant.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'll participate in these threads by voting, but that just so I can see how the voting is going. I don't know enough about these guys to have any firm opinion.

I'm scared of Portland taking Holmgren though. I seriously doubt he'll be an Embiid or a Jokic, and even if he is that could be 5-6 years down the road. I'm about 90% convinced that the key to contending is 2-way-frontcourt wings, not unicorns like Porzingis (Chet).

blazerfan11 likes this.
  10. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Have you talked to D69 about this draft?
    What are his preferred picks?
    I personally have Eason in my top 4... I think he grades out with a OG Anunbody type as a likely outcome. His upside could be a Kawhi or Jimmy Butler type all-star.

11. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    We've chatted about it quite a bit and are setting up what we are going to do for the Lottery selection show and then the Draft. He has guys who he likes, but this year is concentrating more on who will be around for the Blazers picks vs the entire Draft since the Blazers have 4 picks.

Initial thoughts are, he likes Jabari for Portland if they have the ability to take him.
    He thinks Duren has one of the higher ceilings anywhere.
    Thinks John Butler could be a steal.
    ...and in the 2nd round, would take a flyer on Nzosa or Badji late.

It will be interesting for me to see how that changes as he digs deeper into players who will be around Portland's selections once the order is determined.