Notice RoadTrippin'

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by THE HCP, Jun 23, 2020.

1. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Grow up you ignorant child!

POST REPORTED!

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. THE HCP

Here is why I ask. My old A6 had a 4.2L V8
    My new A7 has a Supercharged 3.0T

So it's got a new smaller V6, but it sure seems a hell of a lot faster. Quicker if that makes sense.

3. THE HCP

I thought some of these gear heads might help me out.

4. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

ITS BECAUSE YOU HAVE A SUPERCHARGER

HailBlazers likes this.
  5. THE HCP

That’s what I’m asking son! I didn’t know how much more supercharger does, then just having a big V-8. I know how to drive them, just don’t know how they work. Just like computers.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. EL PRESIDENTE

7. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Fuel needs air to burn, the more air you can compress into the cylinders, the more fuel you can burn to give you more power.

Superchargers are powered by the crank of the engine, so start compressing air whenever the engine revs, but also have a drag on the engine to power them. Turbo chargers use the exhaust waste has created by the engine operation to compress air, so do not have a drag on the engine to do their magic.

So, the tubochargers provide more power, but it is not done in a linear fashion, you usually have what's called a turbo lag, engine revs, produces lower power until enough exhaust pressure builds to run the turbo and bang you have lots of power. I am a big fan of naturally aspirated engines for feel, even if they make less power than super/turbo-charged engines, but I prefer the linear feeling of supercharged engines to the less predictable behavior or turbocharged engines.

Personally I think you suffer from American driver thinking, the power of the engine is not the most important thing for sporty driving, overall performance, suspension behavior and steering feedback are more important to me than these for driving enjoyment. You also have to remember that even the speed you get is not directly related to the power of the engine, but also to the weight of the car (power to weight ratio) and the transmission gear ratios.

That's why a Porsche GT3 with 'only' 530 BHP will kick a Dodge Demon with 808 BHP around any race track that does not simply go straight or ends in 1/2 a mile.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Beyond help bruh. Good attempt @andalusian.

SlyPokerDog and andalusian like this.
  9. THE HCP

SlyPokerDog and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  10. THE HCP

Thank you sir. And I always tell my kid, Euro cars will out handle American cars all day every day.

andalusian likes this.
  11. THE HCP

Your knowledge of cars is on par with my knowledge of basketball. Maybe this is why I consider you part of the FAMS!

SlyPokerDog and andalusian like this.
  12. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Generally speaking, most European cars will out-handle their American counterparts - simply because it is more important to their domestic market - but if you ask me, the 3/4 best companies at tuning mass-market car chassis for handling nowadays are Porsche (not a surprise), Ferrari/Alfa Romeo (not a surprise), GM (big surprise) and Mazda (for mass-market affordable cars).

When you give the designers/engineers at GM an edict to design the best damn chassis / suspension they can (instead of what saves money, as most of their cars are) - they are wizards. The current Camaro, for example - is too heavy, has awful visibility - but a car that heavy and that inexpensive has no-business being as good as it is in the handling department (I got a couple as rentals in the last several years - and every-time I was impressed how good they handle when you push them).

On the other hand, the Chevy Volt that I considered buying in 2015 and again in 2018 was a train-wreck in the handling department (2015, first generation) and acceptable but nothing to write home about (2018, second generation). So, if the choice is an Audi vs. whatever the current big car that Dodge say is selling - I would go for the Audi every time (even tho the Dodge chassis is actually the old Mercedes chassis from the 2000s) - but if you give GM engineers a task to design really good handling cars - they are very, very good - among the best in the world actually - they just never get a chance to do it on anything other than the Corvette / Camaro nowadays, unfortunately.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  13. THE HCP

Sorry, I just hate american cars. Anything later than the early 70s, no thanks. Of course it's nice to ride around in an Escalade or Yukon, but their cars are horrible, no offense to anybody out there.
    Right now my wife car is in the body shop. Our neighbor sideswiped it going 5 mph and did some minor damage. Enterprise rental car gave us a Ford Fusion. Hybrid, mid size sedan......THIS THING IS A PIECE IF SHIT!!
    No power, gutless, everything is cheap and plastic!! Just looked and this thing is actually priced at $30,000!!!!! You gotta be shitting me. My 1984 VW GTI was nicer than this thing.

14. EL PRESIDENTE

I rented a fusion hybrid, got good gas mileage

15. THE HCP

I'm one of those, for some reason, that doesn't ever look at MPG. I'd rather have a vehicle I WANT to drive and get not as good gas milage. Thats why when we went to Kauai, we got a jacked up JEEP instead of a Kia.

16. EL PRESIDENTE

It was mad chill. I liked it. Don't trust Fords though

17. THE HCP

It was funny. Taking my daughter to soccer out in Beaverton. Coming out of the tunnels by the zoo heading west. Was in the fast lane and realized I was slowing down traffic. No room to change lanes, so I stepped on the gas......and waited.......and waited! It wouldn't fucking go! It was revving like motherfucker and could barely make it up the hill. It was so embarrassing.

EL PRESIDENTE likes this.
  18. EL PRESIDENTE

Most hybrids are like that. For hybrid, its not bad.

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Downshift, red line that engine. It's a rental. Who cares if you blow the motor. I can't believe I have to tell someone from NEP to drive it like you stole it.

20. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    My car has a supercharger with 400 hp. I haven't even floored it yet. Got to find a safe place to try that.