Rockets Adding Lonny Baxter And Dion Glover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by YAODADDY, Aug 29, 2005.

1. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Its not a trade. Baker, Wesley, and Barry's contracts are all up so we would have the cap room to do it. Harrington's an unrestricted agent next offseason and his contract right now is pretty much equal to Wesley's and Baker's put together. And I think Harpring's well within reach. He's getting older so not as much teams will be throwing money at him and on top of that, isn't really an elite player or a second tier one at best. We sign them, that's kind of what you do with free agents...</div>

on a more important, crucial note...

aznx do u still do sigs? [​IMG]

2. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

al harrington's numbers dropped and didnt meet up with expectations since joining the hawks. Hes the only freaking guy that is good on that team he should be up in 20's

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting TmacGarnett:</div><div class="quote_post">al harrington's numbers dropped and didnt meet up with expectations since joining the hawks. Hes the only freaking guy that is good on that team he should be up in 20's</div>
    Harrington had Antoine Walker on his team for 50-some games last season. The Atlanta team also had a few very promising young players. Harrington's stats didn't drop from his previous season, he had a great season last year, just that no one noticed. He is a great defensive player in the post, and he has a good back-to-the-basket game and jumper. His intensity is something our team might enjoy, and he is still young, making him ideal for the third and final piece to our championship puzzle. If we get him, we can afford to let Wesley go because having Harrington at small forward would also allow McGrady to shift back to SG.

Stroshow, you're making it sound like getting Baxter and Glover would push the team to the heights of champions. It definitely will be a fact that even if we get them, they're just going to keep Ward and Norris's seats on the bench warm. How would you expect Baxter to beat out the likes of Mutombo and Howard for backup minutes? Baxter is also way too slow and lack the handles to play small forward. Glover would be looking at beating out guys like Anderson, James, Barry and Head for minutes. Ward and Norris weren't going to play, so getting two slightly better benchwarmers won't help the team win any more games.

4. StrowShow281

StrowShow281 JBB Banned Member

Baxtor will help tremendously, he can back up J howard in case he gets injured and will be a Monster on the boards. oh well if they dont get enough mins, the mins they play will be important and they will take advantage of it. But for Al harrington coming to the Houston Rockets, man thats Automatic championship. lol

5. TmacGarnett

al harrington is an unrestricted free agent next season and with the addition of marvin williams whos natural position is at the 3 (hes playing 4 this season) al harrington might look somewhere else for a team.

the chances of us landing him will be based on him taking a pay cut to join the rockets next season like swift did or a sign in trade

6. StrowShow281

then that probbaly wont happen since, he's young and all about the money.

7. TmacGarnett

thats what we said about swift
    you never know what these guys could do

8. Trip

Student
    We could definitely land Harrington for the MLE next season. I doubt that any team would want to give him any more than that, proven as he is. However, if we do pay the MLE for Harrington, we would be over the luxury threshold, so we'd have to get rid of some contracts. Does anyone know if the sum of the expiring contracts of Wesley, Norris and Baker would equal to something like $5 million? If so, then we could afford to sign Harrington, but getting Wesley back would be quite impossible unless he takes the minimum or LLE.

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">We could definitely land Harrington for the MLE next season. I doubt that any team would want to give him any more than that, proven as he is. However, if we do pay the MLE for Harrington, we would be over the luxury threshold, so we'd have to get rid of some contracts. Does anyone know if the sum of the expiring contracts of Wesley, Norris and Baker would equal to something like $5 million? If so, then we could afford to sign Harrington, but getting Wesley back would be quite impossible unless he takes the minimum or LLE.</div>
    We wouldn't need Wesley back if we get Harrington. McGrady would switch back to shooting guard with Derek Andersen backing him up. But don't Wesley and Baker's contracts end next season? So wouldn't we actually be under the luxury tax margin? Or do expired contracts still count...
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">the chances of us landing him will be based on him taking a pay cut to join the rockets next season like swift did or a sign in trade</div>
    Yeah, I think after playing on a losing team for one season he would want to go back to a winning team again. With the core in Swift, Yao, and McGrady, I don't see why he won't want to take a pay cut. Still, even though I mentioned it, I think its a long shot as well.

10. Trip

Student
    I don't know about this, but having Wesley around will definitely do more good than bad. Anderson's contract will expire in two years, leaving McGrady without a backup at shooting guard, unless moves are made in the next two seasons to acquire one. Having Wesley back for maybe one or two more seasons would give us some insurance and a leader who knows our system.

The luxury threshold is $61.7 million. If a team has more than that amount by the start of a season, they will have to match one dollar for every dollar they are over the threshold. If the total of Wesley and Baker's expiring contracts are less than what Harrington signs for, then there's a chance we're over the threshold and have to pay tax. However, we could waive Ward or Norris with the Amnesty Clause, just like we did with Spoon, to get under the threshold.

11. StrowShow281

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know about this, but having Wesley around will definitely do more good than bad. Anderson's contract will expire in two years, leaving McGrady without a backup at shooting guard, unless moves are made in the next two seasons to acquire one. Having Wesley back for maybe one or two more seasons would give us some insurance and a leader who knows our system.

The luxury threshold is $61.7 million. If a team has more than that amount by the start of a season, they will have to match one dollar for every dollar they are over the threshold. If the total of Wesley and Baker's expiring contracts are less than what Harrington signs for, then there's a chance we're over the threshold and have to pay tax. However, we could waive Ward or Norris with the Amnesty Clause, just like we did with Spoon, to get under the threshold.</div>

You would want Wesly around longer you said? Are you kidding me he is like 40 years old and 2 years from now will make him 42, even if he was 32 i still wouldn't keep him for another 2 years. I want more youth and athlethic players on our teams. 2 years from now most of our guys are going to be veterans. Adding Al harrington to our team would make us one DANGEROUS team even though we are already strong and contenders.

12. TmacGarnett

al harrington + tmac +yao+ swift +luther head
    ^core starting squad for years to come (if head comes out big)
    i pickd it cuz every1 is young

13. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

If this is true it is a huge upgrade!!!

14. TmacGarnett

there are only 3 appealing teams that al harrington could go to next year if he wants to win(the teams i do not mention already have a good SF)

miami does not have anyone stronger than al harrington at 3
    they have posey thats it

rockets have tmac but him at the 2 gaurd is much better
    ^^ this almost forced me to say the celtics b/c pierce's real position is 2 too but they also have ricky davis, GERALD GREEN(who they know is gonna be good), ryan gomes at the 3. The rockets only 3 gaurds are jon barry and anderson but they are giving up 2-3 inches to every pure SF in the league. bowen doesnt have the athletism that the rockets are clearly trying to build around ex. head swift

minnesota has wally but i dont think hes as good as al harrington b/c his major ability is to shoot from peremeter which al harrington does while slashing and driving the paint

i ultimatly see him going to any of these three cuz they all bring something exciting to any nba player plus a starting job unless wally complains about starting position

miami brings a sense of playing aside 2 of the 2 dynamic duo in the league in flash and shaq and a chance at a ring

houston brings the other dynamic duo in tmac and yao and they are the rising team. He would get more minutes at the 3 next season cuz jon barry is retiring and a chance at a ring

minnesota would be majorly upgraded to the playoffs with the roster of jaric + mccants + harrington + garnett and playing aside garnett is enough to join that team

o ya tell me if im missing a good team w/o a good SF (i only projected winning teams i know theres other teams in need of a SF like NO, and charlotte but i wanted to show the winning teams and i know minnesota isnt winning but they have garnett and thats good enough to mention them [​IMG] )

15. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

Al Harrington.. [​IMG] Yeah like Trip said, if we get Al, T-mac can move over to SG and we'd have one hell of a tall and young lineup. Wesley is turning 35 I believe? I'd prefer not to resign him anyway, he's just getting too old [​IMG]

16. YAODADDY

YAODADDY JBB JustBBall Member

I told you guys we gonna Get Lonny Baxter. Lonny Baxter is a type of player the Rockets sorely need. He schooled Carlos Boozer in college and taught that kid how to be a REAL MAN. Baxter was one of the best underrated college players in the College Championship games. Now his game has gotten better and ready for a new start with Van gundy and the Rockets. He led the Houston Rockets summer league team, averaging about 22 points a game and 8 boards without even working hard and still dominated the game and was unstoppable. I'm telling you guys to watch out for this kid, this guy is a MAJOR upgrade for the rockets, and an Enforcer on our defensive end and I'm telling you he is going to be a HOUSTON ROCKETS FAN FAV, they are going to love this guy. A guy who plays insane defense like Danny Fortson/ Reggie Evans but a better offensive player. Even though he's going to back up Juwan howard, he is stil going to get his productive mins and make every min productive. We are also working on Dion Glover's contract right now. Our team is deep, deeper then the Atlantic ocean. We going to deep in the playoffs baby!

MIKE WHO?

MIKE JAMES KID!!!!

Holla at cha boy!

ONE

17. TMAC_713

TMAC_713 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YAODADDY:</div><div class="quote_post">I told you guys we gonna Get Lonny Baxter. Lonny Baxter is a type of player the Rockets sorely need. He schooled Carlos Boozer in college and taught that kid how to be a REAL MAN. Baxter was one of the best underrated college players in the College Championship games. Now his game has gotten better and ready for a new start with Van gundy and the Rockets. He led the Houston Rockets summer league team, averaging about 22 points a game and 8 boards without even working hard and still dominated the game and was unstoppable. I'm telling you guys to watch out for this kid, this guy is a MAJOR upgrade for the rockets, and an Enforcer on our defensive end and I'm telling you he is going to be a HOUSTON ROCKETS FAN FAV, they are going to love this guy. A guy who plays insane defesne like Danny Fortson/ Reggie Evans but a better offensive player. Even though he's going to back up Juwan howard, he is stil going to get his productive mins and make every min productive. We are also working on Dion Glover's contract right now. Our team is deep, deeper then the Atlantic ocean. We going to deep in the playoffs baby!

MIKE WHO?

MIKE JAMES KID!!!!

Holla at cha boy!

ONE</div>

You were right all along and no one wouldn't believe you. But keep on updating man we need to know whats the next big thing that is going happen.
    I feel amazing things are going to happen for this team.

18. tmacnificent

tmacnificent JBB JustBBall Member

[quote name='YAODADDY']I told you guys we gonna Get Lonny Baxter.

you were right..pretty amazing..keep updating kid..

19. YAODADDY

YAODADDY JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmacnificent:</div><div class="quote_post">[quote name='YAODADDY']I told you guys we gonna Get Lonny Baxter.

you were right..pretty amazing..keep updating kid..</div>

Thanks, really appreciate it pal. I will give you updates and my Inside Sources about whats going on with the Houston Rockets organization next move is going to be.

20. Trip

Student
    Not to discredit him, but I don't think YAODADDY did have any inside sources. The signing of Baxter was easily predictable with his summer play and the need for a third power forward on the roster. Also, if you really did have sources, why haven't Ward/Baker been waived yet? Also, why haven't we signed Glover?

Nothing personal, it's just that I wouldn't make it look like I have inside sources just to gain some attention. Your input is much appreciated.