Ron Artest Suspended for Game 2

Discussion in 'Sacramento Kings' started by Shapecity, Apr 24, 2006.

1. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

not suspension worthy in the regular season, let alone in the playoffs for a team already in trouble facing the champs!

Its a double standard against artest. I think it was intentional, but he didnt hit him with any real force!

Stu Jackson is garbage, David Stern isnt much better.

2. Bibbinator

Bibbinator JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyDMVP:</div><div class="quote_post">it sucks thought now when kings lose they will use that as their excuse</div>

If you guys make the NBA finals again against Detroit or Miami, and Tim Duncan got suspended or was out 1 game do to injury would it no doubt lower your chances of winning that preticular game. Especially if you play Detroit again. This year TimmyDMVP, you guys will be underdogs against Detroit where as last year in the finals that was visa versa. If you didn't have Timmy in a game against Detroit at the Palace of Auburn Hills "There is no way you would win that game". And you probably wouldn't even win it with him in there. So it's not an excuse, Ron's absence will make it harder. And Tim Duncan isn't why you guys beat Sacramento, he only scored, I think it was 8 points. Tony Parker's domination over Mike Bibby was why you won. So I don't mean to show lack of class TimmyDMVP, but really that was a lame post. But I will hand it to San Antonio there a good team, and really gave it to the Kings. GO KINGS!!!!!

3. YnoTparker9

YnoTparker9 JBB JustBBall Member

but then thats why tim has 3 rings and artest doesnt:artest doesnt have areputation behind him fo nothing

4. Bibbinator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YnoTparker9:</div><div class="quote_post">but then thats why tim has 3 rings and artest doesnt:artest doesnt have areputation behind him fo nothing</div>

There is no doubt Tim Duncan has alot more class than Ron Artest does. They can't be compared. Tim is an elite offensive player and well balanced player. While Ron is an elite defender. But if you do compare them, I'll be the first one to admit Tim is better! GO KINGS!!!!![​IMG]

5. grinder333

grinder333 JBB JustBBall Member

What I saw:

Manu just about "rapes" Brad Miller while he walks by him (trying to draw a foul I guess). Then Brad Miller looks at him thinking "Stop grabing my package you ***". Then Artest puts his elbow in the air and Manu (how can I draw a foul, how can I draw a foul, how can I draw a foul) runs into it and instantly flops.

The refs are on artest like white on rice. I guess their boss David Stern told them to not let anything get started here in the playoffs.

Oh and I hate floppers like Manu. Reminds me of how Karl Malone used to flop. I loved Malone but it just wasn't realistic having a little 150 pound guard slam into Malone and his 280 pound body body would go flying.

6. Bibbinator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting grinder333:</div><div class="quote_post">What I saw:

Manu just about "rapes" Brad Miller while he walks by him (trying to draw a foul I guess). Then Brad Miller looks at him thinking "Stop grabing my package you ***". Then Artest puts his elbow in the air and Manu (how can I draw a foul, how can I draw a foul, how can I draw a foul) runs into it and instantly flops.

The refs are on artest like white on rice. I guess their boss David Stern told them to not let anything get started here in the playoffs.

Oh and I hate floppers like Manu. Reminds me of how Karl Malone used to flop. I loved Malone but it just wasn't realistic having a little 150 pound guard slam into Malone and his 280 pound body body would go flying.</div>

You forgot Vlade Divac. He flopped more than any one. The funny part about Vlade's flopping is he just plain sucked at it. I'm sorry, there's no polite way of putting it. I mean someone would barely bump into Vlade, and Vlade would initially flip back slitely; as he then saw the officials weren't going to call it, he'd again flip back only this time falling after about 5-7 seconds went by. The physics and math just don't back that, I'm sorry you get hit hard enough your going to fall at impact in a conveincing motion. I think Reggie Miller was good at flopping. But Vlade, man I'm sorry, I love the guy, he turned the Kings franchise around; but watching him for 6 seasons I actually use to bite on my thumb because dang, I mean I'de get embaressed for the poor man. His flopping/acting was pittiful. And from my understanding he did it all 16 years of his career. I remember once Vlade and Kobe got into a shoving match, because Vlade had all that anemosety toward Kobe for him -(Vlade) being traded away from L.A. Anyways Vlade fell like 3 seconds after Kobe shoved him. Vlade got ticked off at the ref for not calling a technical foul on Kobe. But could you really blame the ref it was grocely obviouse Vlade flopped and Kobe's shove didn't amount to a thing. Not to say I don't like Vlade. But I really don't see how you failed to mention Vlade on the topic FLOPPING. Anyways. GO KINGS!!!!![​IMG]

7. TimmyDMVP

TimmyDMVP JBB JustBBall Member

I really wish ron wouldve gotten ejected not suspendend that way when the spurs kick their A$$ they cant say its because artest is out

8. TimmyDMVP

San Antonio Express-News

If I'm the Spurs, I'm on the phone to the league office Sunday, and I've got something to say about Ron Artest.

advertisement

Don't suspend him.

Give him a flagrant foul to add to his ever-expanding rap sheet. Give him notice that David Stern is still watching. But don't give the Kings a nothing-to-lose game tonight, as well as an emotional rebirth in Sacramento for Game3.

If I'm the Spurs?

I question who this suspension helps.

I don't question the suspension itself. Artest's elbow to Manu Ginobili's head wasn't the hardest blow of the evening, nor was it shocking considering the owner of the elbow. On the Artest Crazy Meter, this one ranks somewhere below Artest once flashing an obscene gesture to a section of fans in Miami.

Why below that? Because earlier that season, Artest had announced there ought to be a mandatory ejection for cursing "because kids are watching."

He has a screw so loose, it doesn't have any threads. "They better not put me in the All-Star Game," Artest once said. "I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'"

Which is, of course, what everyone always has asked. He can smash a camera, flex his muscles at Pat Riley and ask for time off to work on his CD. He also can attend anger-management class — then shortly after, snarl for a magazine cover with the headline "The Scariest Man in the NBA."

So when he's down by 30 points? With his mouth bloodied? Artest edged closer to that night in Detroit, when he took his act to another place altogether, striking Ginobili as well as Tim Duncan.

Maybe every player would have been suspended for the same. After all, Duncan had to sit out a game two years ago after a brush with an official. The Spurs argued the contact was incidental, that the ref was in the wrong position, and Duncan's spotless record didn't save him.

But Artest's history matters, just as it did several years ago. Then, two news organizations felt comfortable reporting that Artest had been in a fight during All-Star weekend in Atlanta — when he was actually in Orlando.

This time, the NBA had the goods: the tape, the flagrant-foul guidelines and the motivation to suspend. Artest and his leap into the stands, after all, is primarily the reason the league has aired about 4,603 "NBA Cares" commercials this season. Did Stern want to let Ron be Ron, then have to approve for next season an "NBA Cares, Seriously" campaign?

The Kings plead ignorance to all of it, because they hadn't seen this side of Artest yet. But this is part of the package they traded for. Had Sacramento gambled on a guy with chronic knee pain, they wouldn't be surprised if the knee was swollen today. They can't be surprised, now, that Artest's anger puffed up Saturday.

But there's another side to this, and it's about whether the Kings could have rebounded from a 34-point loss with Artest.

No matter how much Rick Adelman worked his team over the past few days, were they ready to recover?

Artest didn't look ready, not with his mouth and jumper so sore. And if the Kings were to have lost with Artest tonight, with the pattern of Saturday, the Kings would have gone home ready to be swept.

Now they come into Game2 without expectations. They likely will lose, still, because the Kings had little depth with Artest. But what if Mike Bibby starts stroking, and Brad Miller gets involved, and the Spurs relax?

If the Spurs can lose to Atlanta, which they did this season, they can lose to Sacramento.

But even if the Kings are awful without Artest, they head home with a sense of promise. They can see Game1 as an aberration and Game2 as a lost cause without their star. They can believe the Spurs have only held home court, and now it is their turn, and their crowd will be there with cowbells.

There's something else, too. Walking back into the series Friday, his lip smaller and his energy back, will be someone who can do a one-game suspension standing on his head. If Artest hits back with defense and his talent, the Kings would head into Game4 believing the momentum has changed.

Crazy?

This time, without Artest.

9. Bibbinator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyDMVP:</div><div class="quote_post">I really wish ron wouldve gotten ejected not suspendend that way when the spurs kick their A$$ they cant say its because artest is out</div>

We'll see how you do in the NBA Finals against the Pistons. Besides you probably could beat us with or with out Ron. Anyways TimmyIsn'tDMVP, I'll no longer dignify you with any responses. Because your posts are garbage. So go ahead and talk; because when I see it's you I'm just gonna browse down to the next post. LOL, what ignorance, anyways these are the last words I'll say to you; after that be my guest write what you want, because someone of your mentality can't offend me, and I'll not even dignify you by reading your trash talking posts. First you guys only have 2 tittles, the year of the strike; like Phil Jackson said, anyone could have won that year, that tittle is nothing, nothing to be proud of. And if you didn't luck out winning that 1, you probably wouldn't have won the next 2. Second, We will see how your preciouse Spurs do in the Finals against the Pistons. Anyways like I said, write what you want TimmyDMVP, you don't impress me, your actually kind of funny. But like I said I'm not gonna read your posts anyways, because you obviously like kaoss more than sports itself anyways. So go ahead and let your future posts be that as what they may. GO KINGS!!!!![​IMG]

10. Bibbinator

I want to apologize to any Spurs fans I might have offended with my above post. It's just when I go to Basketball forums I go there to discuss BBall. Not rip apart my conterparts fans or teams. I don't like people who go to forums just to cause trouble. I actually like the Spurs. My 3 favorite teams are the Sacramento Kings, Memphis Grizzlies, and Chicago Bulls. But when I was 16, Spurs legend George "Ice Man" Gervin held a Basketball Camp in Elk Grove. That's metropalitian area of Sacramento. Let me tell you Mr. Gervin is a class act. He only charged $20.00 for local youth to come to his 3 day Basketball program. I have a picture of George and myself taken together, I still have an autographed Basketball he signed for me. This was special to me because Mr. Gervin was the first Pro. Athlete I ever met. I met he before Vlade Divac, or any Kings player or Raiders player I have ever met. So I'm sorry to any Spurs fan in here that I might have offended. I have respect for the Spurs. I also love how Mr. Gervin treated my Grandmother. He treated her like a lady and with the utmost respect. So I extend my apologies to any Spurs fans that I might have offended. That even includes you TimmyDMVP. It's just I go to forums to have a good time and discuss basketball with other fans across the nation. Like the Lakers, they have killed the Kings over the years. And I have discussed BBall with Laker fans on the Laker forum. And even though I'm not crazy about the Lakers I don't rip the team or there fans on the Laker forum. And so far no Laker fan has ripped me on these forums. Basketball is for fun, where not in here doing World War 2 reanactments. Atleast that's the way I see it. So I'm sorry for the lack of class I showed on my previouse post. No matter the out come I'm just gonna enjoy the game tonight. And the Spurs are a classy organazation. GO KINGS!!!!![​IMG]

11. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyDMVP:</div><div class="quote_post">it sucks thought now when kings lose they will use that as their excuse</div> You mean all those Kings fans that thought the Kings would win the series? Im pretty sure there arent too many of them. Damn Tony Parker might be the worst player for the Kings to play against. Bibby cant stop him and there are no shot blockers waiting for him when he gets to the basket. Anyhow, I was going to recored game 2 so I could watch it after work, but now I know the Kings are going to lose so whats the point. Oh well, I expect the Kings to have a good showing when they get back to Sacramento.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">SAN ANTONIO - Generally speaking, Ron Artest makes a really lousy defendant. His NBA rap sheet runs the length of a CD. He has been fined, suspended and scolded too many times to mention. He has been banned from a building (Conseco Fieldhouse) and, in so many stern words, warned by the commissioner that his next bad deed could be his final act.
    But a one-game suspension?

Cruel and unusual.
    Though Artest certainly deserves to be punished for aiming that high forearm at Manu Ginobili's jaw - headhunting is prohibited even in big games - benching the Kings' best player for Game 2 is excessive both on its face (Manu said he felt little pain) and in a much larger context (see Artest bio). Old history shouldn't weigh more heavily than the more recent past.

Prior bad acts shouldn't result in a life sentence, and yet, based on Monday's ruling, Artest's baggage seems to have followed him all the way to Sacramento.

"There was no flagrant foul," league vice president Stu Jackson explained from his office in Manhattan. "This is a 'contact' rule. The action we're taking is because of the fact Ron made contact with Manu Ginobili's head. While the contact was not severe, it was a potentially dangerous play. And the fact he is a recidivist was taken into account."

Recidivist?

Jackson threw me on that one.

Artest threw an elbow. Artest made a mistake. Give him a break.

There was no lingering harm - so says Ginobili - and until Jackson reviewed the game tape, there wasn't even a foul.

Yet Jackson speaks about Artest as if the small forward were a criminal, a repeat offender from Folsom, instead of a player who has modified his behavior and maintained his composure since being traded to the Kings three months ago. One technical. Two or three animated chats with referees. End of issues until Game 1.

As a matter of fact, the league should be delivering roses to his doorstep instead of slapping him with subpoenas.

Artest, 26, has been a basketball boon to the region, a professional athlete who signs autographs, grants interviews and avoids confrontations even when baited by the league's premier provocateurs. The sellout streak at Arco Arena survives because of Artest. The Kings made the playoffs because of Artest. This series has become intriguing again ... because of Artest.

"For us it is a good thing (the suspension), because he is a great player," said the amiable Ginobili, who bloodied Artest's mouth with his own inadvertent elbow earlier in the game. "I didn't see exactly how it was. He raised his elbow and hit me in the face. (But) no, it didn't hurt me."

The more appropriate punishment would have been to fine Artest a few million, chastise him for a few more minutes and then send him back onto the floor. Among other factors to consider, this is the postseason, when the style of play becomes more physical and more intense because there is so much more at stake. The league rules can be rewritten and strengthened annually, which they invariably are, but players will continue to direct forearms and place hands on all the inappropriate places.

Thus, the suspicion lingers. What if Bruce Bowen had taken that shot Saturday night? If Mike Bibby had been the King swinging his arm? Would they have received the same sentence? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

"Mike Bibby would have been suspended," Jackson insisted, only to reiterate his previous comments. The penalty fits the crime, he says, because the culprit is Ron Artest. In so many unspoken words, league officials are enforcing a system of preventative measures. Send him to his room now so you don't have to spank him later. And while there is some logic in this, and the easy response is simply to remind everyone that, hey, This is Ron Artest!, this isn't justice.</div>

League unfairly judges by his reputation

13. TimmyDMVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bibbinator:</div><div class="quote_post">If you guys make the NBA finals again against Detroit or Miami, and Tim Duncan got suspended or was out 1 game do to injury would it no doubt lower your chances of winning that preticular game. Especially if you play Detroit again. This year TimmyDMVP, you guys will be underdogs against Detroit where as last year in the finals that was visa versa. If you didn't have Timmy in a game against Detroit at the Palace of Auburn Hills "There is no way you would win that game". And you probably wouldn't even win it with him in there. So it's not an excuse, Ron's absence will make it harder. And Tim Duncan isn't why you guys beat Sacramento, he only scored, I think it was 8 points. Tony Parker's domination over Mike Bibby was why you won. So I don't mean to show lack of class TimmyDMVP, but really that was a lame post. But I will hand it to San Antonio there a good team, and really gave it to the Kings. GO KINGS!!!!!</div>

I know tim isnt MVp but if you see i have been a member since 2003 when he was and dont apoligize thats what sports is all about. Rivalry what good is rivalry if you cant talk smack.

14. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

its readily apperent after watching the first two games that the Refs have no friggen clue what they are doing out there.... again.
    now.. before you say "ya ya...another kings fan whining about the refs... " SHUT IT. They have been consistantly screwing up calls going both ways. they have been calling phantom fouls on both teams and in very critical times while letting calls that are completely obvious go by uncalled. How can you rack up 5 fouls on Duncan and then let the rest of the fouls that he commits just go by? how can you let (especially after the artest suspension) Ginobli just flat level Wells so hard that he actually bounced off the floor and not call it a flagrent? I understand that there is a difference between an accedent and an intentional foul, but c'mon... when Artest has to get stitches from getting leveled by Ginobli but Artest is the one that gets suspended from the game with no means of appealing the suspension?

While I understand that calling a game is not the easiest of tasks to do... they have to get better than this. From the top offices to the bottom of the ref pool, the NBA needs to clean up their officiating crew.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I agree with your observation and criticism of the officials. The new changes to the league rules don't seem to apply to the Spurs. This is why they are nicknamed The San Antonio Sterns.

There's been a lot of support in favor of Ron Artest. Most feel the suspension was uncalled for and there should have been action taken against Ginobili.

16. TimmyDMVP

The refs just plain suck they need to get younger refs that have good vision, these refs need to retire. I have seen many bad calls against many teams, spurs included. Maybe you didnt catch last nights game but many bad calls were made. I got to give it up to SAC though they gave me my moneys worth at the game.

17. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TimmyDMVP:</div><div class="quote_post">The refs just plain suck they need to get younger refs that have good vision, these refs need to retire. I have seen many bad calls against many teams, spurs included. Maybe you didnt catch last nights game but many bad calls were made. I got to give it up to SAC thought they gave me my moneys worth at the game.</div>

vision isnt the problem.... Its the organ that the optic nerve connects to at the other end (that would be the brain for those who didnt take A & P).
    For some reason, there is something going on with the ref's on the floor that could only be comming as influence from above.

The biggest part of the problem is the blatent favoritisim that is laid at the feet of the "star player". Even last nights game lays out the problem so succinctly as to command its existence. When a commentator for a national game makes the statement "Thats a great play because he knows he is going to get the call on his home floor" it completely wipes out any kind of support for the fact that officiating is unbiased in the NBA.

18. Bibbinator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting harbingerofdoom:</div><div class="quote_post">vision isnt the problem.... Its the organ that the optic nerve connects to at the other end (that would be the brain for those who didnt take A & P).
    For some reason, there is something going on with the ref's on the floor that could only be comming as influence from above.

The biggest part of the problem is the blatent favoritisim that is laid at the feet of the "star player". Even last nights game lays out the problem so succinctly as to command its existence. When a commentator for a national game makes the statement "Thats a great play because he knows he is going to get the call on his home floor" it completely wipes out any kind of support for the fact that officiating is unbiased in the NBA.</div>

I tottally agree. If it's a foul it should be called weather it's at the At&t Center or Arco Arena, or the Moon. A fouls a foul. If Tim Duncan commits a foul it should be called as quick as if Jason Hart commits one. Because no matter the star level, the refs have those whistles in their mouths to blow if a "true NBA By Rules Foul" has been committed. Dick Baveta shouldn't shrugg it and think "oh that's alittle foul by Tim, he's as popular as some movie stars out of respect I'll let it go". Then if a "true NBA By Rules Fouls" committed by Jason Hart, equally as little of a foul, Baveta shouldn't say "Oh he's a 2-3 year NBA player then will probably go to the Development League or overseas", then blows the whistle. Al though I will say I do beleive the bad calls have gone both ways. As I beleive you stated harberingofdoom. I credit the Spurs, they have really taken it to Sacramento. What a deep, deep team. We had that game won last night, except what can I say Robert Horry did it to the Kings again. I will be releived when Robert Horry retires. Weather it was the Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers and now San Antonio Spurs. If the team Robert is on, and your the opponant and your only up by 3 points or less, you need to either have the last possesion, or hope you have atleast a 4 point lead other wise, your up by 3 with Robert's team haveing the last possesion, you can almost count on Robert putting the game into OT. 2 point lead and Robert will probably win it. GO KINGS!!!!!

19. MUman

MUman JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree with your observation and criticism of the officials. The new changes to the league rules don't seem to apply to the Spurs. This is why they are nicknamed The San Antonio Sterns.

There's been a lot of support in favor of Ron Artest. Most feel the suspension was uncalled for and there should have been action taken against Ginobili.</div>

The San Antonio Sterns? How clever. I haven't heard him say that the ideal finals would be the Spurs vs. Spurs yet.

20. Bibbinator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MUman:</div><div class="quote_post">The San Antonio Sterns? How clever. I haven't heard him say that the ideal finals would be the Spurs vs. Spurs yet.</div>

Who ever said anything about the ideal finals being the Spurs versus the Spurs MUman. Or are you implying that David Stern has stated that "the ideal finals would be the Kings vs. Kings. Or Lakers vs. Lakers. In all honesty MUman, I'm not being sarcastic; I just have never heard David Stern make any statement of such nature of any one team vs. itself in the Finals. But I could have just missed Stern's saying such a statement. In all honesty, please, elaborate. What NBA Franchise did David say would make the ideal Finals in it playing itself. When did he say it. If he said it about like the Lakers are you sure he didn't just mean something like "It would be awesome to see Magic's Show Time Lakers versus the Shaq & Kobe duo tittle runs". I'm confused. Anyway GO KINGS!!!!!