Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Jun 17, 2019.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    So while Basketball was my passion, I was on some very good select soccer teams, and had I pursued that my life wouldve probably been much different, anyways thats not the point. The point Id make is that in all sports one of the most important things that coaches / managers do is define roles for guys. From stars down to role players, Ive been on teams in both basketball and soccer where our coaches did a terrible job at defining our roles and even with good players we bad teams. On the flip side the best team I was ever on was a soccer team that won a bunch of tournaments in Portland and the northwest and while we had some good players I think the most important part of those teams was our coach did an amazing job at making sure we knew what our job was.

Now obviously amateur athletics is much different than NBA players, but its my opinion that the principles are similar. A good coach and GM identify guys that can play a role, and define that role, help a guy maximize his abilities in that role. Even Stars like Dame have a role, and have things they shouldnt do because its not their job.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Hobbesarable, Hoopguru and PCmor7 like this.
  2. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Again, it all depends on the acquisition cost, but that sounds a lot like moe harkless.

3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Harkless was basically free. He also hadn't had off court issues.

4. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Yeah. But agents also put things out there that aren't always completely accurate in the interest of their clients, too.

TorturedBlazerFan and Hoopguru like this.
  5. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

This thread from the Blazers official forum. :)

I'd honestly love a guy like RHJ, defensive stopper to help push the tempo of the second unit or situationally in the first to slow down those players that always torch us.

6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

sounds like an immature kid

these aren't "character issues"

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Hey, out of curiousity what club did you play for and what years. My son and youngest daughter both played club soccer.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  8. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

I think the Suns could be in the running for Conley.

Warren, Jackson, Okobo, and 6 for Conley and Brooks.

craigehlo likes this.
  9. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

RHJ Shot 18% from this season. There is a reason he's hitting free agency.

hoopsjock likes this.
  10. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I am guessing too old for their liking. Otherwise you would think they would be all over it, already. They have been dying for a PG for over a year.

11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Ha, thats a heck of a question. Portland City United Soccer or something like that. At one point one of the coaches took a bunch of kids and made a team called the Raptors, and had us out doing a bunch of tournaments.
    I played from 92-02. Wasnt until 99 or so that I was on teams that went and played in tournaments. Honestly I liked soccer, but I was head over heels in love with Basketball.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  12. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

Conley is only 30, he has had his bout with injuries but he can still give the suns 3-4 years and with Booker they need to give him a decent running mate.

13. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    So he's still immature but you're hoping he matured?

Are you just ignoring the beat down he tried to give a woman at Kansas? Luckily she had that car to hide in.

dviss1 likes this.
  14. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

It's interesting how we go from one sport to another. I went from basketball to football and eventually to long distance running & track. I learned to love running, but that's not the reason why I joined those teams (long distance running & track). It was all about the girls at the time in high school. :blazerwookie:

15. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I have loved basketball for as long as I can remember, my parents have stories of me at like 1 1/2 years old running around saying basketball and pretending to shoot.

I played baseball for a couple years and hated it, then my parents got me into soccer and I played both Soccer and Basketball after that, if my parents wouldve let me play Basketball 24/7 year round and skip soccer I would have.

They wanted me to play two sports.

hoopsjock likes this.
  16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Not ignoring, these are definitely things to consider, but also part of why his value might be minimized. But we've seen turnarounds before, and wouldn't you agree that Dame's leadership means something? Jackson has had two GMs and two coaches in his two seasons. He has had 0 veteran leadership. he COULD be a good candidate to turn his life around.

As I said, his on court production means more to me, and even that has been largely hit or miss. But there was a reason he was a consensus top 5 pick in that loaded 2017 draft -- this isn't an Anthony Bennett type who just shot up the ranks randomly.

Given our strong leadership and history of player development, we absolutely need to atleast kick the tires on this guy.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    PCmor7 likes this.
  17. CupWizier

retired
    Cool. My son started off at PCU his first 2 years of playing (u12 and u13) then went over to FC Portland as they were pretty much just starting up the younger age level teams. When he made the switch he also played u13 over again as he was playing up at PCU. He graduated from high school in 2002 so he might be around the same age as you. I was similar as you in basketball but it was baseball as soccer wasn't a competitive sports back when I was playing. I loved basketball and it was my first choice, but a 6' basketball player isn't in high demand so I concentrated on baseball and it worked out pretty good for me.

THE HCP and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  18. CupWizier

retired
    What was strange with the Suns is that they had Bledsoe for several years and was never able to make it work for them.

19. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

Bledsoe was good for them for a while, but blowing out his knee really sidetracked him. He runs hot and cold if you watch the Bucks. He was a big reason the Bucks faltered against the Raps in the playoffs.

20. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    There is a huge difference between someone who is unhappy with their role so they pout and become a problem like Nurk and someone who tries to beat a woman.

I want players that have a chip on their shoulder and an edge that results in them working harder at actually being better at basketball like Dame being overlooked his whole life. I can't stand players that have an attitude because they have character and maturity issues. Those type of players usually feel entitled and don't put in the work necessary to be a star in the NBA.

A guy like Jackson is still talented enough to stick around the NBA for a long time but I'd rather have Harkless and Layman on the wing than him.

dviss1 likes this.