Rondo > Rose (says his shirt)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by CelticKing, Aug 5, 2010.

1. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I'd disagree. Rondo is a system player, and Team USA is not going to have enough time to implement a full system. I expect Rose to start just because he manufacture points when things go South -- regardless of who is playing with, where is playing or what system he is playing in. That doesn't make him a "better" point guard; just a more useful one in this particular context.

2. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

First of all, you aren't very familiar with Paul Pierce's game if you think he's racking up assists for Rondo. Why doesn't every PG who plays with a good jump shooter like Ray Allen average a triple double over 2 7-game playoff series'? And you act like thats the only time he's put up numbers like that, with your "taking advantage of a rookie" line. He did the same thing all that postseason and again this past postseason against Miami, Orlando and Cleveland. Seems to me like you just refuse to give him any credit, whatsoever. And sure in 09, Rondo held Rose to 19 ppg and forced him into 35 turnovers in the series (5pg).

And lastly, I don't care about Team USA, I'd actually prefer Rondo not play for that team at all.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan nfl-*****s member

No i like Rondo and think he's a great player but just think Rose is better. We're comparing a PG who plays with 3 future hall of famers to a PG who had to carry his team into the playoffs the last 2 years. For the 09 postseason I don't give him as much credit as i should but I feel like i shouldn't since he he played against a rookie and a backup pg in those 2 series. Rondo also got A LOT of help defense in that series after he got lit up in Game 1. Stats won't tell you that. Also it was the 09 postseason and much has changed since then. He did good in these playoffs and give him all the credit he deserves! The thing is Rose was also impressive in the playoffs this year and I think you're forgetting that. It seems you're basing Rose on the 09 postseason not last season's play.

In the 09-10 season:
    Rose: PTS: 21.3 AST: 4.0 RPG:4.5 TO: 2.0
    Rondo: PTS: 9.3 AST: 10.8 RPG:5.3 TO: 3.0

These are the stats for the Bulls vs Celtics in the 09-10 season. Who did better? It could easily be debated either way on who did better against each other this year. That's how i feel about these 2 players. It could good either way on who's better

4. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    In all honesty bro, you can't even argue it. Rondo was just so much better than Rose last year.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  5. Patriot

Patriot Active Member

Rondo > Rose > Lee

6. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Didn't Charles Barkley severely outplay Jordan on Team USA? 1993 season watch out!

I don't know what that has to do with the NBA. People are asked to do different things on national teams.

7. JayJohnstone

JayJohnstone Active Member

No.

8. huevonkiller

Student.
    Because?

Looks like Chuck is shooting >70% on a higher average to Jordan's 45%. 3 pointers not factoring in either.

9. JayJohnstone

Barkley didn't even start in 1/2 the games. MJ had already complete demoralized the opposing squads.

10. huevonkiller

Student.
    Damn, then how did he average over 18 points a game to Jordan's 14.9? Must mean he had a 76 TS%.

Ah I see what you did. That even when he is playing way below his standards, and shooting at Allen Iverson level, other teams still had no shot at beating Team USA. That would definitely demoralize.

However I think he demoralized his own team somewhat, by being shockingly inefficient. 49 TS%

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  11. JayJohnstone

LOL....OK....Once again, we have to agree to disagree about Stats telling all...I guess. Barkley had the best stats but Daly said the order of the best players was MJ, then Pippen and then everyone else as I recall.

Not sure what the Barkley stats ahve to do with Rondo vs. Rose starting/size of their role on the Olympic team.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  12. such sweet thunder

Barkley led the team in intentional elbows thrown at anorexic undersized opponents.

13. huevonkiller

Student.
    Even though stats do tell all with Jordan? This makes absolutely no sense.

I don't care what you recall. Or this being your defense: "This guy said he was better". Nonsense, give me a reason why. Back up your claims.

Well you need to scroll up. Jordan was clearly much better in the NBA, and struggled in the paint in the Olympics. This is a man shooting close to 70% in the paint in the NBA.

Somehow these anorexic opponents kept Jordan from going all out on them.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  14. JayJohnstone

I can't find Daly's quote although it got a publicitly at the time in Chicago because it was about Pippen being better than Barkley, Drexler, etc. But here is a bonus link from SI reporter that says Jordan was the best on the team, better than Lebron and Kobe in the last Olympics on both sides of the ball.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/08/24/dream.redeem/index.html

For a guy so fixated on stats, I'm surprised you don't know a damn thing about sample size. Barkely shot 87.5% from the International 3. Is he the greatest international 3pt shooter ever? Or did he get hot for 8 games?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  15. huevonkiller

Student.

How would they even know? The competition was totally different.

Oh I'm quite aware that Jordan is better than Barkley, hence the 1993 reference. ;) Just not in the olympics.

For the purposes of this Rondo vs Rose argument, much like Michael vs Chuck, we should stick to their NBA accomplishments.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  16. bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

I think Rondo's output will look a lot different when he isn't playing next to two HoF's. In two years let's see if Rondo is still putting up triple doubles in the playoffs when he's the primary offensive option on a 7th seed as opposed to the 4th option on a 2 seed. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, just that his numbers are somewhat inflated by his fortunate situation.

17. such sweet thunder

You haven't watched the games. The Dream Team was so dominant that they were forty points up in almost every game from the gate. That was a different time and a different era. Team USA wasn't trying to score or play defense or whatever because they didn't have to. Using the statistics from the team to build any kind of analysis is just silly.

18. JayJohnstone

But he can calculate Win Shares. :>

19. huevonkiller

Student.
    That's not even my preferred method...

And I can watch, and use those methods. I must be some new type of genius.

So let me understand your position...The olympic team was so dominant, that even if MJ was far less aggressive and efficient no team had any shot of beating them? Alright I agree.

What does that have to do with his Allen Iverson efficiency? He can't get into the paint like Barkley can, or he didn't care. Neither makes him a better player.

Ray Allen and KG were hardly HOF worthy this past year. The Celtics were a solid defensive team, I don't see these potent weapons anymore that carried Rondo.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  20. JayJohnstone

No one is questioning whether you *could* watch. The issue is you haven't.

Please. How many times are you going to roll out that lame comparison?

MJ shot 21% from 3 and 50% on his 2's. AI was usually always better at the former and worse at the latter. And it was eight games.