Round of 16: USA vs. Ghana (26 June 2:30 PM)

Discussion in 'Football Discussion' started by CelticKing, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Mr.Gunner

Mr.Gunner Member

USA's defense was terrible, cost them the game, I think they underestimated their rivals.

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

what killed them is allowing first goal, they've done it every match now, and always have to fight back into games. it's like first 20 minutes they're sleeping. (warming up, or whatever)

:( :( :(

3. Patriot

Patriot Active Member

4. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

^ LMAO!!!

5. agoo

agoo Member

The close-ups of that guy were awesome.

For a few of the comments above, I don't think we underestimated Ghana. We have slow central defenders. The goals we give up are just because they're slow. The only way to fix that would have been using Maurice Edu back there, but he's not really a central defender, despite playing well there in the Olympics. Going into the match, our best hopes were to control possession (failure there resulted in the first goal) and hope that Asamoah Gyan was not finishing well (failure there was the second goal). They were going to get a fair share of chances because of their speed and they finished two of them.

The biggest mistake the US made was starting Clark. I would have stated that had I been on here prior to the match. Maurcie Edu had to start this match after his performances thus far in the Cup. He's the best option defensively to pair with Bradley and with Torres not finding his groove internationally, he's looking like the best option offensively as well. Edu simply doesn't give away the ball like Clark did as that first give away and Ghana goal were terrible.

Overall, this says something about the development of US Soccer where losing in the round of 16 is a disappointment. I'm hoping that the development of this team continues and we find a consistent starting 11 that includes some speed in central defense. It will be up to Ike Opara and Gale Agbossomounde to develop quickly over the next four years and provide that. I could see either one pairing with Onyewu in Brazil, or possibly even pairing together if they really take off. Jozy Altidore also needs to start finishing again. He's developing abilities as a target man and is very good at holding up the play and retaining possession up front, but he needs to start scoring goals.

What does look good for this team is that looking at what could be available four years from now, it seems like only Cherundolo, Bocanegra, and DeMerit might be a bit too old for the next Cup, while the rest of the players should be in their early 30s or younger and performing well.

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    There are quite a few guys that likely won't be back for the World Cup, but this tournament has done a lot for some of them. Last I heard, Donovan has already been offered a contract by Manchester City for 4 mil per season.

7. agoo

agoo Member

I saw Ives reporting that same rumor. Everton are also likely to go in for him since he did so well there last season. I'm guessing he'll go for over 10 mil as MLS desperately want to retain him.

8. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

We need a better coach, and Davies.