Roy look bad to you tonight?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Reep, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Jayps15

Jayps15 Active Member

We were up 25-19 in the 1st quarter when Roy subbed out, and when he checked back in in the 2nd quarter we were down 33-39, Roy stayed in the remainder of the quarter and we finished the half up 50-47. So in the 1st half alone the team only scored 8 of it's 50 total points without Roy on the floor. From there Roy played all but 10 seconds of the 3rd quarter, and the game was tied at 72-72 when he subbed out. Then when he checked in for good in the 4th quarter we were up 83-81, to go on to eventually win the game 104-96.

All told the team managed to score 19pts in the 12 minutes of the game Roy wasn't playing, compared to scoring 85pts in the 36 minutes he was on the court, or 1.58 points per minute without Roy and 2.36 with him. I'd say the offense ran just fine with Roy on the court, better than fine really.

To me Roy plays alot like the Spurs have been perceived to play over the last decade or so, it's not pretty and flashy, but it works and while he maybe won't please all the fans or make a bunch of sportscenter hilghlights he's still the guy that night in and night out wins us games.

Oh yea, and 22 pts on 6-13 shooting after being listed as questionable with back spasms is a great game for anyone.

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Roy's +/- for the night was +7, third behind Nicolas' +9 and Sergio's +8 (I was really pleased with El Chacho's game last night, very solid decision making, took care of the ball, and finally went with something besides a perimeter shot with that smooth step back 15 footer). So it's pretty clear that the team was doing just fine with him in the game and that has a little bit to do with his defensive contributions as much as it does his offense.

3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I guess it is just me. The win is the most important thing.

I just saw Roy pounding the ball several times and he was not ready when LMA flashed into the paint and was wide open. Missed him about three times. I agree about his defense though. It is nice to see such a gifted offensive player actually take pride in his defense.

4. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

Do you say stuff just to get reaction? lol

5. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

If you guys ignore threads like this, they will vanish to page 2 and eventually go away. :smile:

6. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Sorry, i know this puts it back on top, but I had to agree!

7. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Why should we ignore it? Should we only post in threads where we all agree?

That'd be pretty boring.

I respect Reep as a poster and I find his opinion to be interesting. It's clearly a minority opinion, and one that I disagree with, but it's been interesting to see the points that people have raised in opposition to it.

If anyone else wants to ignore "threads like these", feel free. I hope that most of us don't.

Ed O.

8. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

I think Roy needs to find the medium between isos and setting up for others. I think he's catching on though. I've been noticing less self-serving predictable drives (I suppose those drives to indirectly serve the team) and more selfless playmaking drives.

It's just going to take time. I forget sometimes that this is his only his third year. He's still learning how to be the leader, especially on such a diversely-built offense.

9. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Whatever you want to call those drives, they win us games!

10. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Whats funny is last year we were all yelling at Roy to be more aggressive, take over at the end of games and now fans want him to back off a little. The kid is money in the 4th quarter, like it or not stars win you games at the end put it in your best players hands and let them work their magic, ala Paul Pierce, Wade and Kobe. The more opportunities he gets to see the better he will get at delivering. So far this year he's played poorly but in the 4th quarters he's delivered the "W".

11. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Roy is clearly not a scorer like Wade or LeBron or Kobe. He can't impose his will whenver he chooses. He needs to learn when he's "on" and be aggressive at those times, and learn to dial it back and move the ball when he's not in a rhythm.

There are times when Roy can simply iso and win. Other times, he's best at being just another weapon spacing the floor. He needs to recognize which is the right approach when.

12. 1 Eye Jack

I disagree, Kobe wasn't able to immediately come in and dominate offensively it took him several years. I'm not saying he has to do it during the whole game like these guys but at the end of the game I think he's very capable of taking over a game offensively. He's already shown it this year against some of the best defenders in the league. He did it against Houston (Artest), SA (Bowen), Miami (Wade) and Minny (Brewer). Everyone talks about how tough a matchup GO would have had, well guess what Roy had some pretty tough matchups to start the year.

13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Well, I was going to let this thread die, but since it won't . . .

I love to see Roy on his isolations at the end of games. No issues there. It is just through the first 3.5 quarters where is has shown some tunnel vision that others (Rudy, Batum, Sergio) have not. It is so fun to watch the ball move quickly around the team and end up with a wide open shot or dunk. But, when Roy sits on the ball, people stop moving (except for Rudy, although he gets frustrated) and the game slows down (in a bad way).

14. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I wasn't comparing them by age. But even then, I don't think Roy is that sort of talent, now or in a few years. Kobe Bryant is one of the most talented scorers in NBA history. I don't see Roy ever achieving that sort of scoring ability.

That's my point. He's capable of it in bursts. He's not capable of it at any time. He needs to recognize when he's in one of those bursts and when he's not. When he's not feeling it but tries to attack, the offense bogs down.

15. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I believe that Dell Harris said that Kobe Bryant was the team's best one-on-one offensive player... as a rookie.

Roy wasn't a guy that was able to consistently take over offensively even in college. I am not 100% sure that he needs to try to do it in the NBA, either.

Ed O.

16. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I am really not sure what the issue is all about. Roy plays a little less than he did last year, but scores an extra 2 PPG and the team is ahead of last year's pace on wins. The biggest problem I had with Roy was that he was not always in attack mode - he seems to do a much better job of doing it this year and the results are encouraging. Granted, he gets 1/2 an assist less per game this year than he did last year - but if we shoot 50% as a team (which we do not, but I am being generous here), it means that we gain a 1.5 PPG more just from Roy's game.

We finished last year at -1 PPG to the opposition for the year and still won 41 games. The next team up on us in the conference was GS - they had a +2 PPG on the opposition and won 48 games. This means that we needed a +3 PPG to go from our 41-41 record to 48 wins. Roy's per game improvement by itself gets us half way there... what's not to love?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  17. 1 Eye Jack

And I would argue isn't Roy our best one on one player? I'll leave it at that we'll agree to disagree. I think Roy is capable and would compare his game to say Paul Pierce.

18. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

i disagree with that. he certainly only attacks in bursts, but i'd argue that he is capable of it at any time.