Roy Williams happy with Bears rookie

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by truebluefan, Aug 10, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Chicago Bears rookie free agent Jimmy Young wasn't sure what to make of the text message congratulating him for not pulling a "Dez Bryant," but he quickly learned.

Young, following the rookie tradition of carrying a veteran's shoulder pads after practice in training camp, carried the gear of former Dallas Cowboys receiver Roy Williams after a recent session. Williams had asked Bryant to do the same last year in Cowboys camp, and Bryant's refusal generated several days of headlines.

"I was [aware of the Bryant incident] after I did it," Young said Wednesday. "I got a text message from somebody, and they were just like, 'Man, I'm glad you didn't pull a Dez Bryant.' I'm like, 'What?'

"They just said something about me carrying Roy Williams' pads, and I told them that it wasn't a big deal to me at all. I had a free hand. I just grabbed them and went with it. It wasn't a big deal. But I was fully aware of the Dez Bryant deal."

Williams laughed about getting back to tradition as a guest on "The Ben And Skin Show" on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM.

"Oh man, it was lovely," Williams said. "I was like, 'Hey 19, take my pads.' 'Yes sir.'

"There was no, 'I ain't got to do this ...' none of that, so it was good."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...-roy-williams-shoulder-pads-unlike-dez-bryant