RUMOR: John Calipari To The Chicago Bulls Makes Perfect Sense(here we go!)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Mar 27, 2015.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Let’s get this party started. No seriously.
    The Chicago Bulls are in the market for a new head coach, that’s no secret. The turmoil between Tom Thibodeau and management has pretty much boiled over. The only thing that would prevent Thibodeau from getting the boot/leaving Chicago is if the team miraculously wins a NBA Championship this year. It could happen, but pretty unlikely at this point.

“Several league sources believe Thibodeau’s relationship with management is beyond repair.” (Pro Basketball Talk)

Fred Hoiberg, current coach of Iowa State, has been rumored to be a successor to Thibodeau but a new name has officially entered the conversation. A recent report from Pro Basketball Talk indicates that John Calipari “desperately wants” to coach in the NBA again.

Did we mention he previously coached Derrick Rose? In the 2007-08 season he recruited Chicago’s golden child to Memphis and led the team to the National Championship game. If it wasn’t for poor free throw shooting by Rose, they would have beaten Kansas but fell short in overtime. Calipari eventually left Memphis before an investigation revealed Rose’s SAT score was not good enough to gain eligibility but he played anyway.

Most Chicago Bulls fans refuse to see the writing on the wall with Thibodeau and the front office, but a name like Calipari could make them believers quickly. After all, Calipari is much more exciting than Fred fuggin’ Hoiberg.

Did we mention he’s also tied to Chicago native Anthony Davis who’s a restricted free agent in 2016?

Read more http://sportsmockery.com/2015/03/rumor-john-calipari-to-the-chicago-bulls-makes-perfect-sense/

Writers opinion more than a rumor. Another summer of Calipari to the NBA.

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I don't know why the article brings up Anthony Davis. The "restricted" part of RFA is a pretty big deal, and if Calipari can get NOP to not extend or re-sign him, then he should go into the Jedi Mind Trick Hall of Fame.

3. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I believe that, unless the Bulls make the Finals, Thibodeau's gone. I also like Calipari. However, the logic of why Calipari would be a great fir for the Bulls doesn't work for me. First, much like the Chicago bears are no longer (Jay) "Cutler-centric," the Bulls are no longer "Rose-centric." Second, unless I hear something from Anthony Davis's camp to the contrary, it's foolish to believe that Davis would sacrifice penny one to be re-united with Calipari.

4. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ts-Undecided-On-Extension-Plans-With-Pelicans

I suppose it's possible that Davis could tell the Pelicans that he is not going to sign an extension there and that he wants a trade to Chicago this summer, but what are the odds that NO doesn't just call his bluff and say "OK then, you can walk in two more years"?

The Pelicans' front office has shown to be quite incompetent over the last few years - they traded away the #6 pick in 2013 and #10 in 2014 for Jrue Holiday, who has only played 71 games the last two years, and they traded away their 1st-rounder this year for Asik, who is a free agent this summer. So they gave up Noel, Payton and the #13 pick this summer for Holiday and Asik, who knows they might be afraid of Davis calling their bluff and decide they need some assets.

If you're the Bulls, you have to give up whatever NO wants - including Thibs, who interviewed with NO before he took the Bulls job - for a chance to go foward with a big 3 of Butler, Mirotic and Davis.

The odds of this happening are less than my chances of winning the Powerball this weekend, however.

5. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

When the odds get this long, I stop typing.

6. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    LOL, that's why I stopped typing there...

7. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Calipari would be a serious break from the Bulls' MO for coaches up to this point. He's a big name in a comfortable spot who'd probably have to get paid a lot of money to leave. I'm guessing the Bulls will try and get a diamond in the rough for cheap.

Denny Crane likes this.
  8. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

GarPax will want a coach that is cheap, not too experienced and will basically do what they please. Pax wants to shadow rule from above and will actually beat on coaches that defy him and certainly media smear them.

Calipari isn't coming here.