Rumor: Qrich to the Knicks?

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Custodianrules2, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow! Who is Isiah Thomas working for? New York or Pheonix? He's been bamboozled twice by the same team. Kurt Thomas is our best defender and best help defender and we're trading him for Q? He was very underwhelming this season. But oh well. At least Kurt Thomas is out of this God forsaken organization and has a shot at winning a ring. And the first rounder isnt too bad either although I would have preferred if it was for the 2005 draft but Isiah Thomas isnt that bright so I'm not surprised. Isiah Thomas will stop at nothing to gather a team of useless athletes who have not the vaguest idea of how to play good basketball and even less of an idea of how to play defense. That's Isiah Thomas for you.</div>
    Kurt Thomas is our top defender, but one man wouldn?t have made the difference and I honestly think we won?t see that much of a difference because we?re terrible defensively. The first rounder was great ? that way we have two next year (three if we don?t make the playoffs).

Kurt Thomas was getting old and interfering with Sweetney?s development. We also got rid of another power forward which is something we really needed to do. There?s no way we would be able to get rid of any other power forward but Kurt Thomas so unless you were cool with our five-man, 6?9 and under, power forward campaign, we needed to get rid of one. So basically it?s keep Kurt and that contract until he turns 37 and keep our power forward of the future from developing, or get a young swingman plus a first round pick.

Q at least gives us a fairly young shooter to spread the floor out. Tim Thomas and Penny are gone tops by deadline and at the very least, we get instant offense off the bench from either Q, or Crawford. It?s not all that bad.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Lorenzen Wright is on the market, supposedly because of him demanding out and whining about contract extensions. Any takers?

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Lorenzen Wright is on the market, supposedly because of him demanding out and whining about contract extensions. Any takers?</div>
    When your tallest guy is 6'9, there will alwasy be takers.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">When your tallest guy is 6'9, there will alwasy be takers.</div>
    I don't think the Knicks have been over 6'9 in a while. I think Tim Thomas is the tallest guy that gets playing time on the team.

I'm trying to figure out trades that would work... Malik Rose or Jerome Williams for Lorenzen Wright... hmm doesn't seem fair for Memphis even though Rose/Williams works their butt off. At least Brian Cardinal would be back with his mentor in Jerome Williams. [​IMG] Anyway, none of these guys are difference makers in the positions both teams need, but maybe the draft can add some incentive.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think the Knicks have been over 6'9 in a while. I think Tim Thomas is the tallest guy that gets playing time on the team.</div>
    Yup, and he's 6'10 and can't play power forward let alone center.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm trying to figure out trades that would work... Malik Rose or Jerome Williams for Lorenzen Wright... hmm doesn't seem fair for Memphis even though Rose/Williams works their butt off. At least Brian Cardinal would be back with his mentor in Jerome Williams. [​IMG] Anyway, none of these guys are difference makers in the positions both teams need, but maybe the draft can add some incentive.</div>
    Doesn't really work and we aren't really looking to give up our draft picks. Too bad we can't land him. [​IMG]

6. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Kurt Thomas is our top defender, but one man wouldn?t have made the difference and I honestly think we won?t see that much of a difference because we?re terrible defensively. The first rounder was great ? that way we have two next year (three if we don?t make the playoffs).

Kurt Thomas was getting old and interfering with Sweetney?s development. We also got rid of another power forward which is something we really needed to do. There?s no way we would be able to get rid of any other power forward but Kurt Thomas so unless you were cool with our five-man, 6?9 and under, power forward campaign, we needed to get rid of one. So basically it?s keep Kurt and that contract until he turns 37 and keep our power forward of the future from developing, or get a young swingman plus a first round pick.

Q at least gives us a fairly young shooter to spread the floor out. Tim Thomas and Penny are gone tops by deadline and at the very least, we get instant offense off the bench from either Q, or Crawford. It?s not all that bad.</div>

Actually we have three first round draft picks if we make the playoffs and four if we dont(ours, Spurs, Pheonix and our second rounder if/when we dont make the playoffs). But I'm not too excited about next year's draft it doesnt look nearly as deep as this one. And just because he was one of the few players playing defense on the Knicks doesnt mean we should abandon the idea of playing defense. If you're a weak defensive team if you dont remove the players who play defense you add players who do.

Kurt Thomas was not in any way shape or form hindering Sweetney's development. And sure we needed to move a powerforward or two but Kurt Thomas??? We could have just gotten a center and had Kurt Thomas back up Sweetney while Rose played back up center(or vice versa).

Q is not a sharpshooter. He's a volume shooter. I was very unimpressed with him this past season. We definetely could have gotten a better deal somewhere. If not we could have just hung on to him. Q's contract is longer than Kurt's and he's not even that good. Isiah's moves make no sense.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 02civic:</div><div class="quote_post">I think this is a good deal for both teams....probably more in favour of NYK. The Knicks get rid of one of their 6 powerforwards who was due to make a ton of money till he was 37 years old!!! They get a talented young player with an inside outside game and years to develop farther. He does need to become more aggressive offensively, sure he's a chucker but Knicks forum fans have been celebrating Crawford for the past year so why not Q? I dont think NY could of gotten any more from any other team in the league given Thomas age and contract length.

Also i thinK KT's defence is very overrated. He's a better than man on man defender but not terrific or anything and he's not a shot blocking presence or great weak side defender(merely average). That said he's still valuable, but not indespensible. The Knicks traded a promising center in Nazr(who now starts at center for a finalist team) for a HORRIBLE contract and what are basically 2 second round picks. I certainly dont think this deal is as bad as the Nazr deal or the Taylor deal both of which were supported by the fans on this forum.</div>

I hope by Knicks forum fans you arent including me because Crawford's chucking makes me sick and I'm not too happy about adding another one. Having a chucker is bad enough having two is a nightmare.

I backed the Nazr deal because of the two draft picks. Those are first round draft picks by the way, one of which is in one of the deepest drafts we've had in awhile. If the draft picks werent included I would have been mad. The Taylor deal was just plain lousy. It was stupid. I hated it the moment I found out about it. Q's contract is longer Kurt Thomas's(I thought we were trying to get under the cap), he doesnt help where the Knicks needed help, he doesnt really bring anything the Knicks need and he doesnt play defense. The Knicks offense was not the problem, the defense was and the problem has gotten even worse. Now I have to put up that stupid thing he does with his fists everytime he hits a three which will probably be one in every five(or six) shot attempts.

I hate Isiah...

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually we have three first round draft picks if we make the playoffs and four if we dont(ours, Spurs, Pheonix and our second rounder if/when we dont make the playoffs). But I'm not too excited about next year's draft it doesnt look nearly as deep as this one. And just because he was one of the few players playing defense on the Knicks doesnt mean we should abandon the idea of playing defense. If you're a weak defensive team if you dont remove the players who play defense you add players who do.</div>
    I meant first rounders but you?re right we do have four. We can use all the help we can get so I guess I?m a little excited, but I don?t hop to be too interested in the draft next year because hopefully we?ll make the playoffs but I won?t hold my breath. It doesn?t mean that, but it just won?t make a big difference because we suck defensively.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kurt Thomas was not in any way shape or form hindering Sweetney's development. And sure we needed to move a powerforward or two but Kurt Thomas??? We could have just gotten a center and had Kurt Thomas back up Sweetney while Rose played back up center(or vice versa).</div>
    What about Mo? Taylor and Jerome Williams? It?s not as simple as you think it is. Either way Kurt Thomas will probably get his 30 minutes per game and Sweetney?s minutes at most would have to be 18. Malik could play a little center, but he?s not one and is much more effective as a power forward.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Q is not a sharpshooter. He's a volume shooter. I was very unimpressed with him this past season. We definetely could have gotten a better deal somewhere. If not we could have just hung on to him. Q's contract is longer than Kurt's and he's not even that good. Isiah's moves make no sense.</div>
    No man, I think this is as much value as we would have gotten. I mean who wants to pay an old power forward? We get much younger free up space at power forward and let The Sweet Man take it over. In Phoenix is job was to shoot those jumpers. With Q we get someone who we can kick it to with Marbury?s penetration.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Taylor deal was just plain lousy. It was stupid. I hated it the moment I found out about it.</div>
    How was it stupid? We lost two ineffective players and got instant low post offense off the bench. He also expires in 2007 same as Shandon Anderson who is still on our cap.

8. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Next year's draft will be awesome in my opinion

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">This was the same guy who won the 3-point shootout, the one who set a Suns season record with three?s and had the most three?s this season along with Kyle Korver. Actually when it comes rebounding at swingmen the Knicks aren?t too good. The most rebounds at swingmen goes to Tim Thomas with 3.3 a game. Q will definitely help in that aspect.</div>
    I don't feel that making the most threee's in the season is that big a deal considering he took 631 and made 226. Kyle Korver took 558, 73 less three's, and Damon Jones who was only behind him by 1 made three took 521, 110 less three's.

If it was something like leading the league in 3PT%, yea it's good, but just jacking up the most three's out of everyone else isn't anything special. His career high is I think 38%, and he's been at about 35% the past few years.

I meant New York as a team, I know the outside rebounding is weak because Crawford isn't that good a rebounder, and Tim Thomas is just retarded.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That?s true, but what was wrong with that? He thrived off Nash?s penetration and hit the outside shot? That doesn?t hurt the Knicks and taking into consideration he?s only 25, he has a lot of time to learn. What?s the point of driving when you can shoot the three ball so well? All I see happening at the least is the ball being kicked out to him when Marbury penetrates.</div>
    The only thing that's wrong is that it's an extremely unreliable form of offense, especially since Q is streaky in his shooting. His percantages don't really dictate how he shoots, he's a guy that goes 0-7, then will go 5-5 after that or whatever.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">With Marbury around, he won't really need to create his own shots. I also expect Sweetney to start drawing more double teams which should open up the floor more for him. Also he has a post game as you told me so why are you saying he can?t create his own shot? His role in Phoenix wasn?t to go down low and post up; it was to shoot three?s in transition. The thing about Q is he is 25 and has a lot to learn and he can still learn.

I?m sure he will be okay with us. I honestly think he?ll be better than you think</div>
    I meant off the dribble, but a post game isn't the highest form of creating your own shot because you're at the mercy of the ball handlers to get you the ball in the post. I know he's 25, but I really don't see him changing his game at all. I mean we can hope, but I don't see much change happening.

It just makes this team move even more into the perimeter, and especially inconsistent three point shooting because they don't have three point shooters, just three point takers. It will be interesting...

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't feel that making the most threee's in the season is that big a deal considering he took 631 and made 226. Kyle Korver took 558, 73 less three's, and Damon Jones who was only behind him by 1 made three took 521, 110 less three's.</div>
    I know he took a lot of three?s this season, but I think that just makes him more reliable because he can make more three?s. He?s shown he can stroke it. Although this might not be really significant but the 3-point shootout and also led the Suns in most three?s a game and didn?t he have a record with nine three?s or something? I think he?s pretty a pretty good 3-point shooter. Wasn?t it just his role to do that in Phoenix?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If it was something like leading the league in 3PT%, yea it's good, but just jacking up the most three's out of everyone else isn't anything special. His career high is I think 38%, and he's been at about 35% the past few years.</div>
    That?s true, but I think he?s better than his percentage. Doesn?t he take a lot of ill-advised shots? If he fixes this, I think he can be decent not to mention he?ll also have a positive effect without touching the ball. He can simply let Marbury penetrate and he?ll hit the open jumper.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The only thing that's wrong is that it's an extremely unreliable form of offense, especially since Q is streaky in his shooting. His percantages don't really dictate how he shoots, he's a guy that goes 0-7, then will go 5-5 after that or whatever.</div>
    Is this because of his shot selection or just because he simply isn?t consistent?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I meant off the dribble, but a post game isn't the highest form of creating your own shot because you're at the mercy of the ball handlers to get you the ball in the post. I know he's 25, but I really don't see him changing his game at all. I mean we can hope, but I don't see much change happening.</div>
    But he should be alright in the post. He is pretty strong at 230 pounds he?ll usually have an advantage on the opposing shooting guard. I think depending on the situation he?s in, he?ll play whatever is suited best for the team. When he was up in Phoenix, he just shot three?s all day but it wasn?t really necessary for him to post up.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">It just makes this team move even more into the perimeter, and especially inconsistent three point shooting because they don't have three point shooters, just three point takers. It will be interesting...</div>
    There aren?t any 3-point shooters on the Knicks but Crawford. I think we can definitely use a shooter who can shoot off of Marbury?s penetration.

11. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

Knickerbockers please. You guys not gonna get Quinn Richardson, why would the suns trade him for Kurt "Overrated" Thomas? Keep dreaming knickerbockers there is no chance in hell of this trade going through babay!

12. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SanQuinn:</div><div class="quote_post">Knickerbockers please. You guys not gonna get Quinn Richardson, why would the suns trade him for Kurt "Overrated" Thomas? Keep dreaming knickerbockers there is no chance in hell of this trade going through babay!</div>
    I hope that was some kind of....joke.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SanQuinn:</div><div class="quote_post">Knickerbockers please. You guys not gonna get Quinn Richardson, why would the suns trade him for Kurt "Overrated" Thomas? Keep dreaming knickerbockers there is no chance in hell of this trade going through babay!</div>
    Umm....I believe it already went through, Mr. Quinn. Kurt Thomas is not overrated in fact, I think he might be one of the most underrated players in the league.

14. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    sometime smilies are the only way to express my feeling about posts like this

15. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

are u knickerbockers insulting me?

16. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SanQuinn:</div><div class="quote_post">are u knickerbockers insulting me?</div>
    no, of course not [​IMG]

BTW stop calling us knickerbockers, its really annoying.

17. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I agree with the notion that Q is a "chucker" more so than he is a "shooter"...I mean, he made 226 3s this season, but he only hit 35% of them, meaning he attempted around 650 or so...yes he has a post-up game, but he never utilizes it really...hes fallen under the misconception that hes a 3-point specialist, and he does not have the percentages that suggest that...hes a nice rebounder who can score inside and drive because he has a great NBA body and is athletic and strong...but he tends to limit himself by staying camped around the perimeter and shying away from contact...

IMO, it was a great trade for Phoenix because they needed a big body who could rebound and intimidate defensively...plus, Kurt can score as well...he'll be a nice addition to their front line, and they already have a nice backup swingman in Jim Jackson if they choose to give him more minutes...in my mind, it was a no-brain deal for the Suns...oh, AND they also get a conditional 1st-rounder...

I really dont understand this deal from NY's perspective...I can only assume that Isaiah is nowhere near done dealing, but thats not necessarily good news for Knicks fans...

18. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

San Quinn needs to calm down. BTW bad trade for Knicks

19. Nylex

Nylex JBB JustBBall Member

Knicks may swap Kurt for Q

NY Post is now reporting this:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">June 24, 2005 -- It?s another Isiah Thomas move in which the Knicks could get younger and more athletic but shorter, weaker defensively and more expensive.

The Knicks and Suns have agreed in principle to their second trade in 17 months, with Kurt Thomas being shipped to Phoenix for 6-6 swingman Quentin Richardson and a protected, future first-round pick.</div>

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/25527.htm

20. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Well, we get a first round pick i guess, so its all good