Rumours and News from Chicago

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BRockwell, Jun 11, 2003.

1. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Hi all, just rolled in from Chicago and as usual, it was crazy; full of a agents, scouts, GM's and reporters and everyone's trying to scoop everyone else. The sheer volume of assenine rumours spread at the Chicago draft camp makes my old high school seem like the pentagon.

Anyhow, I know I said I was leaving, but its draft time and I can't resist giving my favorite message board a little love, so without further ado, here is my take on the rumours you've heard, read or missed out on during the last week.

EDIT One more rumour I'd like to mention is that someone measured Lebron James at 6'8, 245. This is possible, but not bloody likely considering Ben Wallace is 6'8, 240.

Rumour #1; Pavel Padkolzine's workouts launched him from a borderline lottery pick to a top 5 pick...This one might be true. There is no way he supplants Carmelo Anthony as the number 3 pick, Denver can't afford that can't of PR (though they might trade 'melo for Pavel and a veteran) and I think Toronto feels they can be a playoff team next year which means they will probably pick Ford or Bosh. However, Miami will take a long hard look at him and he will not slip past the Clippers at 6. He's so hot right now that there is a very good chance someone in the top 6 will trade down with Washington, Memphis or Portland. The bottom line on Pavel is that he is huge, HUGE has a nice stroke and is an athelete. He really cant' do anything else basketball related yet but who cares? He's huge!

Rumour #2 The Suns have promised Zarko Carbarkapa/Ndudi Ebi/lil bow-wow they will pick them at 17. This is not true. The Suns haven't promised anyone, but since they can afford to draft a project, there is a good chance they will. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Diaw or even Malick Badiane. Diaw would allow Phoenix to mix it up and let Steph play the '2' occasionally while Diaw runs the show. Plus he could contribute right away offensively as a ball handler and defensively as a stopper without taking shots away from marbury/marion/stoudamire.

Rumour #3- Dewayne Wade's stock has been hurt because he's a bit short. This is true BUT, Wade's exceptional wingspan helps alleviate that a bit (though a long reach helps a big more than it does a guard). However, Wade has blown away several players in workouts (I can't disclose which, or else I may not be invited to workouts orgainized by certain people next year, just trust me and know that he killed at least 2 and probably 3 first rounders in private sessions) and while he hasn't answered questions about his outside shooting or defense, he's a lock for the lottery. My guess is that he hasn't put himself in front of Pietrus, because Pietrus is bigger, a better shooter, a better defender and just as good as an athelete. They never worked out together (that anyone told me about anyhow) but both are similar atheletically. So I think he goes 10th to the Wizards (this would allow them to trade Stack for Terrell Brandon's expiring contract...or maybe even Stack and the #10 for 'Melo and future 1st rounder...a backcourt of Arenas and Stack would look good in denver...I'm babbling).

Rumour #4- Nick Collison embarressed himself in the wieght room and has slipped. While he did look pathetic trying to lift 185 pounds it did little to erase his dominant play in NCAA and if teams picking in the late teens pass on him it means they're handing a contributer to a team that is probably already very good.

Rumour #5 Regarding measurements; David West measured at just under 6'10 (in shoes), making him a lock for the first round. Of course, immediately after he meausured so well, rumours that he was working out poorly and couldn't shoot sprung up, adding fuel to the fire of lies that burns through the NBA during draft time each year.
    I feel bad for the rest of the league if he or Collison slips to the Lakers. You could also include Mario Austin in the group, though he's not as skilled as the other two he also measured up well and no one wants to pass on another Carlos Boozer.

Rumour #6- Luke Ridnour's stock is dropping in private workouts. This one I'm not to sure on. He may be slipping in the eyes of some teams, but he's not dropping past Seattle at 12.

Rocko220's Fearless Predictions!

-Jarvis Hayes slips past 19 Raise your hand if you want a guard with poor handles, can't drive or finish and plays bad, lazy defense. Yeah, that's what I thought. He's a sweet shooter with a good body, but imagine if Alan Houston didn't have a first step, that's Hayes' in a nutshell. While he does have good upside, there are plenty of flawed players with upside out there. I could see the Celtics making the same mistake with him that they did with Joe Forte. Word is that the Jazz are high on him as well, and they drafted Deshawn Stevenson in the first round, so I'm not surprised.

-Chris Kaman will dissapoint whoever picks him He has a short reach and looked sluggish compared to the European Bigs. His stock will never be higher though, if he stayed in school another year the scouts would be spotting more and more of the holes in his game, like Terrance Morris before him, it looks like Kaman isn't going to get much better. Besides, when was the last time a white, American center was worthy of a lottery pick...Anyone want to use their lottery pick on Chris Mihm this year, Joel Pryzbillia, .... anyone?

-Darko Milicic will be better than people think in his rookie year- People get hung up on the fact that he's 17. That just doesn't make any sense to me, he's played against the top European pro's for two years and kicked some serious booty. His experience is equivelant to someone with two years of Division I college ball. i.e. the same as TJ Ford and one more year than Chris Bosh.

- Zoran Planic goes in the top 15. His stock was hurt this year by an injury, but anyone that saw him play over the final 4-6 weeks of the season knows he can dominate a basketball game while still playing the role of a true '1' He's 21 and 6'8, which means he doesn't drop past the Nets.

Well, thats the way I saw things and hopefully it was as interesting to read about as it was for me to be there. If you have any questions regarding your favorite players/teams, feel free to reply to this post and ask. I'll do my best to answer quickly.

peace

2. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

At insidehoops I said I want the Suns to take Diaw, hopefully they do. Do you think he will be available? How has Marcus Banks done? Mike Sweetney? Barbosa? Where is Reece Gaines projected to go at this point? How about Brian Cook? How'd you get into the camp?

3. t.mcbraggart

t.mcbraggart JBB Banned Member

did anyone talk about Chris Boah? I have not heard anything about him.
    What about Quentin Ginobli?

4. BRockwell

Sunsfan- There is a very good chance Diaw will be available when they pick, there are always surprises however and since multiple teams will probably have made trades by the time the Suns pick rolls around it is VERY hard to say. I believe he'll be available but there's a chance he goes as early as 15. Sweetney was only there for the physical and did not work out (but plenty of secret workouts happen, some of them more secret/exlusive than others, so he didn't work out as far as I know). His stock remains unchanged, he'll go in the late-lottery. The book on Barabosa hasn't changed much either, talent-wise he's right in there with Ridnour and Gaines, but a step down from Hinrich. He worked out with Dewayne Wade and Reece Gaines and lived up to his rep plays with enormous spead and energy, has a freaky wingspan and loads of potential, but is fairly raw and needs to learn english. He had a translator present to help understand each drill. Reece Gaines is still going somewhere between 10-15. Brian Cook is interesting, I think he goes higher than most people thinks. At some point during the first round he will be the most talented player available and some team will forget all about the issues surrounding him. I got in because I write two sports editorials a month for two local publications and they sent me there.

T.mcbraggart- Chris Bosh is someone who could slip a bit on draft day. For a while it looked as if he was a lock for the number 4 pick, but if Toronto takes Pavel, don't be surprised if Miami opts for TJ ford and he slips to 6 or 7th overall. I think he's a surperior prospect than Ford, but Pat Riley might prefer the more experienced and proven Ford.

I've never seen Quentin Ginobli play basketball, sorry (

5. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

dammit. i wanna go over to Moody Bible so bad.

didn't Cook's stock increase because he was measured to be taller than people thought? i dont remember

6. t.mcbraggart

t.mcbraggart JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "slamduncan21":</div><div class="quote_post">dammit. i wanna go over to Moody Bible so bad.

didn't Cook's stock increase because he was measured to be taller than people thought? i dont remember</div>
    I read that somewhere too..
    Was Rocco really there, or is he just having fun? I completely believe him so far, so if it's a joke then I suk.

7. BRockwell

I really don't think Cook's stock was affected by his measurements because everyone new he was at leat 6'9, and since he's a 3/4 with an inside outside game, team's are more concerned about his ability to keep his head straight than anything else. Taller is always better however..