Run Baby Run!!!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Taking a cue from the Republicans, I decided to rename Kerry Eggers article in this mornings Tribune

http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122289611468084000

Most of you who have seen me post know I think the Blazers should run more. Nate has consistantly said he wants to, but always finds an excuse not to. Hopefully this year will be different.

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I think we'll run more this season. I believe effective fastbreaking is predicated by aggresive defense. Defense is what Nate is emphasizing in camp and this should lead to turnovers and more fastbreak opportunities.

3. Mediocre Man

Ask GS and Phoenix how good their defense was when they were running. I hope to God we are a better defensive team than either of them, but the two really don't have as much to do with each other as Nate wants people to believe.

4. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I also hope we finally start runnin' and gunnin' more!

5. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I liked the article and agree with what it said. I think with Oden, Rudy, Bayless, LMA, Outlaw the Blazers have the players for a good running team. I realize defense and a good half court game wins especially in the playoffs but they need to be at least in the middle of the league in fast break points.

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Maybe defense per se doesn't make you a good running team, but I think a big time rebounder does help the running game.

Roy spoke about this and how players were being coached to stay back and help with the rebounding. This year with Oden, if he can dominate the glass and is a good outlet passer, I think we will see more of a running game as players will tend to leak out more.

7. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Bingo.

Why do so many people turn a blind eye to just how mediocre this team was on the boards last season? You can't run when you need to send at least 4 guys to the glass just to gain possesion of the ball!

8. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I don't see the Blazers being an effective running team. More of a half court and dump it into the bigs kind of team.

9. Mediocre Man

Oden
    Aldridge
    Outlaw
    Webster
    Bayless
    Fernandez
    Rodriguez
    Frye

That's a lot of athletes

10. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    A couple of things lead to fast breaks. First is comfort from your wings knowing that your big guys are going to rebound (Oden/LMA/Pryz should take care of that), second is steals/block shots (again Oden helps because it allows more opportunities to gamble). finally the last piece is having the athletes that can run (we are loaded with young guys who can run). I would be shocked if we don't move into the middle of the pack with fast break points. This obviously makes the game much easier on the offensive end. I think we'll primarily be a half court team but will still get some running opportunities now that we have what should be a great defensive rebounder.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    No offense, but when I see the Blazers in summer league, I don't see a lot of athletes and I think about the NBA roster and don't see a lot of athletes, either. Rodriguez is simply slo motion, not a very good player.

Webster and Outlaw are decent players for running a lot of fast breaks, but who's going to lead it?

12. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    I'm a little surprised that you say this.

Rudy is very much a running gunning player.

Rodriguez was before Nate has tried to make him into more of a distributer.

Aldridge is the fasted man on the team.

This team can run. I do believe it will be more like Nate's team when he had Allen. They will probably run when they can but set up when needed.

g

13. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

You might be right but I think you haven't seen enough of some of our players. LMA is probably one of the fastest PF in the league and would be great in a fast breaking team. I also think Oden would be good except for his knee but he is fast for a big man. Rudy, Bayless, Outlaw, Sergio and Martel I think would be better if the team did run. I think it looks like we are in slow motion because of the way Nate wants us to play. I do think there is nothing wrong with a good half court team and those teams are usually the ones that win championships especially if the play good defense. I just think you have to take advantage of your players and get some easy baskets.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Rodriguez was the slowest guy on the floor in summer league. In the open court, or running the point. If he's leading a fast break, the defense will get back and stop it much of the time.

Aldridge isn't going to be leading many fast breaks. Fast big men finish breaks. I don't see Oden leading fast breaks either.

So if you have those 3 on the court, you only have maybe 2 who can. And Roy isn't that kind of player, either.

15. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Correct, and this is one of the biggest hurdles for any offense. The problem the Blazers had last season was in defensive rebounding, which makes running an afterthought. Prior to that, Zach Randolph was carving valleys in the court on "fastbreaks".

16. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Rodriguez wasn't in summer league this summer.

About the only thing Rodriguez does well is fast break. I don't know his how literally fast he is (he did well in Nate's conditioning drill , top 3) . . . but he is quick with the ball in the open court.

And it's true Aldridge would finish on the fast break, but not by trailing but by beating his man down court and getting the open pass for a dunk.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I saw him last summer with StoryTeller.

18. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

That is one thing that Rasheed Wallace did very, very well in Portland. Remember the "Miracle Minute". He is running by guards like they were standing still. Watch the third basket in this sequence.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-C0iK_3FgAY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-C0iK_3FgAY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As a bonus, we get Pete Pranica and Snapper Jones.

19. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I don't really care for Sergio on this team, but he is much faster than most of the team in a game. Many times when he did get minutes and tried to run a break it ended up being a Sergio on three break. However, Aldridge often stayed back because he was the best post presence. Oden won't be leading the break, but he should free up Aldridge to run--not that I hope to see Sergio playing much with Aldridge.

20. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Sergio might not be the fastest guy running with the ball (but he is far from slow, imho) - but he has a very good knack to deliver the ball where it needs to be in the fast break.

If there is something you should not question Sergio about - it's his ability to run the break.