Run Baby Run!!!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Oct 2, 2008.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

No doubt. Though he's not a dominant athlete, he gets it done in the open court with superior ballhandling and passing skills. Dude is very deceptive, knows how to set up a shot, and can finish a bit as well.

It's no small thing for Portland's fast break that they are adding a dominant force on the boards. As others have alluded, guards/wings should be able to leak out more when a shot goes up getting players in position to advance the ball and finish.

Remind me who was the dominant athlete leading Portland's famous fastbreak in 76-77?

STOMP

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Dave Twardzik or Lionel Hollins. But I don't remember that team ran very much.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I do pretty vividly... as much as anything that was what they were known for. The Pinball was a crafty finisher and could set guys up while The Train was a slightly undersized 2 with a deadly high release jumper, but neither was a "great" athlete. With his dominant rebounding and amazing outlets, Walton was the guy that made it happen. Almost every game he'd pull off a defensive rebound coupled with an outlet pass at least to half court before he'd land from his initial jump... you see that maybe a couple times a year from the whole league now.

The fast break starts with your Bigs controlling he boards.

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  4. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    One of the guards got hurt and a lighting quickfast Johnnie Davis a rookie, stepped up and really made it go.

Jack Ramsey said during the run that it was really a great feat to be such a young team to accomplish so much. Youth can get the job done guys and gals. Look for a good run this year by the team. I've seen it happen!:clap::clap:

g

5. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

The 77 Blazers were a great fast breaking team. I think they were the best fast break team in the NBA at that time. They were like a machine on the fast break. Bill Walton had one of the best outlet pass in the history of the NBA. I have watch the NBA since the late 60's and he was the best I have seen.

6. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    It's funny when talent evaluators talk about Kevin Love's outlet pass--they say it's the best one they've seen since the Big Redhead was in the league.