Running 15th man thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

They think Jamal Murray can play the PG position since they run their offense through Jokic anyway.

This (and the complete lack of rim protection) is why I think DEN is very overrated.

BNM

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

In addition to being their post offense, and their rebounding, Paul Millsap is their rim protection. And their perimeter defense. You know, he's one of only 3 players this decade to have over 130 blocks and 130 steals in the same season...

dviss1 likes this.
  3. Boob-No-More

Yep, he had a monster year defensively two years ago. Last year, not so much. He set a career high in scoring, but also set career lows in several very important areas (TS%, TRB%, etc.). Millsap is almost 33 and based on advanced stats, seems to be declining rapidly.

DEN will still be paying him $30 million a year when he is 36. I've always been a Millsap fan, but even I think that contract, in both dollars and length, is insane.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

If these guys were waived and their salaries were replacement level, would they even get picked up by other teams?

-Leonard
    -Vonleh
    -Pat
    -Jake
    -Napier

Is this true with other teams in the league? Are the guys in rotation from 10-15 always this interchangeable? Like I'd take Gerald Green/Derrick Williams/Jameer Nelson/ Morrow/etc etc over all these guys. If we hadn't invested so much $ and practice/development time into them, they'd be gone.

5. PtldPlatypus

The fact that Pat's contract was non-guaranteed, but retained anyway, suggests that the FO thinks more highly of him.

dviss1 likes this.
  6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

His contract was guaranteed. The only decision they had to make was to either pick up his option or not. If they didn't, he would've been a FA.

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

And off our books for this year. I didn't think they were going to keep him. I agree with Platypus, they obviously saw and liked what he was doing in practice.

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Or the trade with New York didn't happen and he's still on the roster.

How else can you explain delaying the decision a month? If they liked him there wouldn't have been doubt, especially considering how inexpensive he is.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  9. PtldPlatypus

They left him non-guaranteed so that if he needed to be included in a trade, the receiving team would then have retained the option to waive him without consequence. They never planned on cutting him; only trading him if necessary.

dviss1 and Pinwheel1 like this.
  10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

That's who they will start. Murray and Harris in their back court. I'd try to move Muiday if I were their GM. I don't think he wants to come off the bench.

11. Boob-No-More

That starting backcourt is a disaster on defense, especially with no rim protection behind them to help erase their mistakes. At this point, DEN should just give up all pretense of playing defense and bring back Paul Westhead as their coach.

BNM

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Good for us then. We'll see if he starts. It's not like Muiday is some world class defender anyway.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  13. Boob-No-More

Yep, the Harris/Murray backcourt pretty much sums up DEN in a nutshell - all offense, no defense.

I know, I know, they added Paul Millsap and he was a great defender two seasons ago, but that was in a Spurs style defensive system surrounded by other excellent defenders. Millsap's defense really slipped last year. He is now almost 33 and doesn't have enough thumbs to plug all the holes in that leaky defense by himself.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.