Salary minimum

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Jul 6, 2015.

1. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

It is before the end of the season. One of the reasons that PHI decided to claim TRob.

2. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

Agreed, he's a solid #2.

BBert likes this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

On what? 22 mm is a ton for a couple role players

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Actually it's 29 mil

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Hitting the minimum salary is irrelevant strategically. It provides no benefit to the team. It just removes the incentive of cheapskate owners to spend less than 90% of the cap.

The Blazers should focus on the most beneficial way to use cap space. Use it now, or use it at the deadline or use it at next years draft. But if we hit the minimum team salary or not there is no cost or benefit.

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I read somewhere that if we don't hit the minimum then the money is split amongst the roster? IF so, then we absolutely have a benefit of spending the other 22mil. Why give it to existing players when we can get more players to mix and match with?

illmatic99 likes this.
  7. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    +> That is smart. He would find gems that could cover the scabs formed from the internal bleeding of a four starter exodus. In another prospective he would find substitutes for the failed players that we just signed.

8. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    There is some benefit. Your $5M players should be better than your $1M players, assuming they're known veterans. In other words, there's opportunity cost in not spending the minimum - some more/better players on the roster get a chance to win jobs.

9. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    That's if the team executives decide they want more wins. If their goal is a higher draft pick and more development time for their young players then there is also benefit in not spending the funds. The coach will always try and win. The players will always try and win (unless it's Felton). So if the goal is a low winning percentage and making sure young players are developed, than signing additional players gives the coaches more options to win and more people to take game time from those on the developmental track.

Edit: by the way, this is not my strategy but many around here want losses in hope of a brighter eventual future.

Draco likes this.
  10. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    If it were up to me, I'd try to win. You ended up with the pick to get Lillard while trying to win. The Bulls got DRose while trying to win.

I don't think it's sportsmanship to not try.

11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Agreed. With this roster, the Blazers won't have to try to lose. That will take care of itself.

12. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I agree completely. I was pointing out a point of view that many hold, but not me.

13. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I think we're arguing about different things. Your point is you can use cap space to acquire value to the team; yes I agree and the team should look at doing such. My point was in and of itself hitting the minimum team salary just to hit the minimum team salary provides no benefit.

Yeah I agree we should try to find the most beneficial use of the Blazers cap space. There are many ways it can provide value. I was just saying the minimum team salary stipulation is an irrelevant factor since there is no penalty or benefit to falling short.

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Really? Seems to be the same to me unless I am missing something? Meeting the minimum team salary just to meet the minimum team salary would still have a benefit, because it would still be another player or two signed that would provide more depth in this assessment over the next year. Again. Why spread 22million over the current roster when you can spend it on a couple more potential players that fit our system on the surface and see if they carve a name for themselves? IF they dont work by trade deadline, they are gone. Easy enough. The money is spent one way or another anyhow right?

Scalma likes this.
  15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Exactly. The more you swing the better the chances u get a hit.

16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

If we spend the money now we can't spend it during the season or at the trade deadline or at next years draft. So there is a downside to spending just to meet the minimum team salary now.

Sure if there's a player the team thinks will have value go ahead and pull the trigger. But free agent pickings are slim. If we don't spend any cap space now and keep the money available there is a chance of a future benefit.

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

But isn't the team minimum like 12 mill less than the maximum cap space? I thought we have to spend 22mil but could spend almost 30 mil still? And when does this take effect, or a deadline for spending? I thought it had to be spent by opening day? Just a thought though, no references or anything. If you are right then I agree, but if we have to spend some but still have some left over, then spend it. Don't divvy up the money to other players already getting paid and signed.

18. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

You don't have to hit the minimum until the last day of the basketball year (June 30th of 2016). You can of course hit is sooner though if you want.

And technically you don't have to hit it at all as long as you don't mind the small slap on the wrist.

19. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes exactly. There is no penalty for being below the minimum. They only removed the incentive.

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

okay. Understood. Thanks for the clarification then. I say hold onto the money unless a true steal comes along. :) Im on board.