Sam Amico: Blazers have talked to Sixers about Noel

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Nov 30, 2016.

1. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I believe it will take Crabbe and two first round picks to land Noel. With maybe a few second round picks thrown in to sweeten the deal, or maybe a second player such as Napier.

One first round pick just to swallow Crabbe’s stupid contract, and the other plus sweeteners for Noel.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

LOL, a 3rd year player was killing it in summer league. Yeah that proves.... well, nothing actually. Qyntel Woods says, "hi".

So, when do we get to see those bad ass summer league skills on display during the real games? It's all relative. He'd probably look pretty damn good in my Sunday evening rec league.

BNM

BonesJones and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Every league has a team that makes stupid moves. Doesn't mean he was worth the money.

Really? I can think off the top of my head many players that had a good year and then regressed rather than continuing to improve. Nic Batum come to mind? Or how about Martel Webster? and that's just for the Blazers.... Ill put together a list this weekend hopefully.

Because we aren't talking bench roll players, we are talking starter money. If your not an elite defender, then you better be able to be an elite shooter or create your own shot. He is none of these. And that is why the story has ended.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I think it's a mistake to think of players as being "good in the abstract" - like you could just pluck them out of context and their essence shines through. Not only are a lot of players in need of psychological and emotional support, so that they thrive when they have coaches and teammates who believe in them, but even psychologically tough players can struggle if they're forced to do things they're not good at.

Look at the contrast between Kevin Love in Minny and then Kevin Love under Blatt. But Blatt gets fired, and in comes Lue and suddenly Kevin Love is producing again, because Lue makes it a point to play to his strengths.

Look at Mo Harkless: up and down in Orlando to the point that he's dumped for essentially nothing. Now he's playing very solid ball for us. Did he suddenly learn how to play? Of course not.

Crabbe is known for being INCREDIBLY reserved. I would wager that he's a confidence player and that he's currently unsure of his role with Turner being there. As I've said before, I'd like to see him fill in for CJ for a few games (if CJ was sick or something) before I decide to write him off.

5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Sheesh, it's not like I'm a huge Crabbe fan. But this dumping on him is just kind of lazy.

illmatic99 likes this.
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

If You are implying me, I am only dumping on him because it seems some think he has some serious upside still.

Sorry, I don't see it. I think he is what he is 7-10 man on the bench to spot fill when you need some offence. Not much more though and even then his offense is inconsistent.. That isn't a knock...except for his contract.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Harkless and a likely top 5 pick would be great value for Cousins, especially in this draft which has the best top 5 prospects since 2003.

8. Boob-No-More

And DAL also thought Wes Matthews (ruptured Achilles and all) was worth a huge offer sheet. Doesn't mean they were right.

Yeah, but those guys are also elite shooters. Crabbe is not. Out of all the starting SGs in the league, Kyle Korver is the only one I can think of that relies as much on others to create for him as Crabbe does. And, even at 36, Korver is a much better shooter than Crabbe (.421 3FG% vs. .361 3FG%).

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  9. Boob-No-More

The team matched BRK's ridiculous $75 million offer sheet. How much more validation does he need? It's not like we're asking him to do anything he's not comfortable doing. We're just asking him to consistently knock down wide open 3-pointers. We're not asking him to rebound, create for himself, or others.

No, but he was a young player who worked on improving his weaknesses and is reaping the benefits. Prior to this season, he was a career .300 3FG% shooter. This year he's at .390. He currently has the highest 2FG%, 3FG% and FT% of his career. It wasn't about "suddenly learning to play". He saw a weakness (shooting) and improved it.

BNM

10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This notion that AC isn't "working" is so bogus.

All summer we saw videos of him working on his handle and creating for himself. Hell, it's even translating. How many more times has he passed out of the pick and rolls this season than ever before? His problem is that he lets his shooting affect the rest of his game-- like 90% of the young guys in the NBA.

Easy to pile on a guy when he's in a slump.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Have you considered a career as a counselor? "C'mon weakling! You're costing us a shitload, so fucking produce why don'tcha?"

(Cue comment about how millionaires shouldn't need coddling.)

12. Boob-No-More

Do you honestly think anyone in the organization has said anything remotely like that to Crabbe? And, if you do, do also you think that's why he's having, as you called it, "a shitty season"?

It sure seems like you're grasping at straws to come up with some reason why a guy who got paid big bucks is having a down year that's more in line with his previous career performance.

Maybe he'll still turn it around this season. If not, I sure hope he works on improving his game over the summer. If not, that hideous contract becomes an even bigger albatross around this team's neck.

BNM

13. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'd try to package for Nolen and Sergio

14. Five Second Violation

Five Second Violation Well-Known Member

If Crabbe could get us Noel then we take that and run with it. I'm skeptical that Philly would do it, however.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

Yeah, how many draft picks do you think they will give us to take Sergio off their hands?

After six seasons in Europe, the rumor was he learned how to shoot. Evidently the rim is lower, or the hoop bigger, or something over there, because back here in the big league, he's the same horrible shooter and terrible defender he's always been. His FG% is .377 and his 3FG% is .303 and he still has a 23.8% TOV%.

And, he's about to lose his starting job to Jerryd Bayless. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BNM

16. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Philly IMO is not going to trade Noel just for Crabbe - by the time is trade kicker is added in and prorated he costs about 21 mil PER SEASON, we are going to have to offer a good bit more IMO to get rid of him and get Noel back - perhaps two firsts, a lotto protected 2017 and the Cle pick

oldfisherman likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've been supportive of all the guys on our roster but Crabbe is playing like a guy who just got paid, not a guy trying to get paid...maybe a cliché but he's not producing or stopping James Harden or even Ryan Anderson anytime soon....I think he's just too mellow...if he were vocal on the court which he should be, nobody would hear him....he whispers. There's a difference between bashing him and evaluating his performance after a big contract....I hope he snaps out of it but he now plays one decent game and five or six no shows..

Boob-No-More and Orion Bailey like this.
  18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I think you're severely overvaluing DMC/Noel, who are basically "expiring contracts", and undervaluing CJ/Harkless who are signed to friendly long-term contracts. We get HOSED on this trade.

Not to mention, that has us trading our only SF and our only starting-worthy SG for two more bigs, bringing the total up to EIGHT PFs/Cs, and leaving us with Crabbe, Turner, and Layman as our only wings. Hey, I like what I've seen from Layman, but this "proposed" trade would stupidly unbalance our already unbalanced roster.

19. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I believe the entire trade kicker is paid by the Blazers. But the Blazers only use the player's pre-trade salary (without the bonus), when comparing salaries for trade.

Philly must count the portion of the trade kicker that applies to team salary in that season as incoming salary. Half a season = only half that years kicker is applied to the team salary cap.

Hope I got that right.

20. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Or like a guy who knows he was only signed to be traded...

riverman likes this.