Sam Hinkie: The anti-Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, May 2, 2018.

1. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    But right now, all Philly is a team that can win in the first round and fall to an 0-2 record in the second round. He hasn't necessarily built a team that will EVER win a title. So it's jumping the gun to say Hinkie did a better job than Neil has done. We would've beaten Miami too.

2. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Like when they drafted Nerlens Noel and Okafor?

3. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    RHJ and Steve Blake for Nurkic/Connaughton/Collins was a pretty great trade if you ask me.

4. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Ben and Embiid weren't drafted in a back to back years. Embiid was drafted in 2014 and Simmons was drafted in 2016. They fucked up a bit a long the way. 12 teams blew the draft in 2017. There is an element of luck. I mean, Brooklyn has Okafor and Russell, two top 3 draft picks. How are they doing?

5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Id rather have RHJ than Plumlee and Connaughton, so that wasn't a great deal. Plumlee for Nurk was.

You always forgot to add in that we essentially traded a 1st for Collins.

So essentially, he only had one positive trade for us. Yikes.

6. BonesJones

If Embiid plays in 2014 they likely get Porzingas and Russell though.

7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    We needed to trade RHJ and Blake to ultimately get Nurk. That is a great fucking deal and then we turned the extra pick we got in the deal to move up and get Collins.

8. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    You have to be very good at drafting but lucky too. I mean Sacramento gets a top pick every year and how are they doing?

9. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    You can great players in draft without sucking for 5 years. Kawhi Leonard and Donovan Mitchell were drafted by playoff teams. So was Kobe Bryant.

10. BonesJones

Do you not think I know the moves that happened? Then why are you repeating them to me?

He had one good deal. The deal was so good that the original deal for Plumlee looks good too, even though by itself, it wasnt.

Denver probably trades Nurk and #20 for RHJ in that scenario as well.

11. BonesJones

It's not that they're unlucky it's that they're drafting bad. I'd be a better drafter than Sacremento. At 10 I would've drafted Donovan Mitchell. I supported the idea of us trading up to get him. I was begging for us to draft Lillard on 2012.. I had just turned 16. Its not hard to draft well, some front offices just try to get too cute and overlook the same things over and over again.

12. BonesJones

You bring up luck in terms of drafting well at the top of the draft, but not in the middle to bottom of the draft?...

13. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Warriors has tremendous luck in the draft. Substitute Curry, Thompson or Green with basically any player that went above them and they wouldn’t have won those championships. Basically perfect players falling into their hands at a perfect time.

Hoopguru and illmatic99 like this.
  14. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Yeah Sacramento are an extreme case. I did a breakdown of their drafts recently.

2011: had no. 7 and allowed Charlotte to take Biyombo with it. Could have got Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard or Kemba Walker among others.

2012: took Thomas Robinson at 5 and passed on Lillard, Drummond and Barnes.

2013: took McLemore at 7 ahead of McCollum, Adams, Antetokounmpo and Caldwell-Pope (he is not great but much better than McLemore ever was).

2014: took Stauskas at 8 but players that came after weren’t really amazing either. Warren, Harris, Saric were best but still nothing obvious.

2015: took Cayley Stein at 6 ahead of Turner, Booker but then again a lot of players just below him have not really been better than WCS either.

2016: traded their pick and actually got a decent return in Papagiannis (released), Labissiere (he’s fine) and Bogdanovic (he’s very good).

2017: took Fox who is good and fun, needlessly traded no. 10 to get Jackson and Giles, could have taken Mitchell but so could everybody else.

They have been better in the recent drafts but still wasted so many picks before. You cannot always get them right, of course, but they NEVER got it even remotely close to right between 2011 and 2015. That’s a truly bad record and they have missed out on several potential franchise changing players during this time. It’s inexcusable. Even Phoenix got Booker to show for it, Sacramento have basically got nothing for years of tanking. Fox is the first player they might be able to build around.

That said, Orlando are just as bad. Wasted so many picks on average players and even the ones they seemed to have got right have not progressed much so far - Gordon, even Isaac (early days). Players like Payton and Hezonja they had to let go for nothing because they wouldn’t even keep them.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I think it’s easy to list out players that panned out or didn’t pan out and forget about the environments they’re put into, coaching, veterans around them, opportunities to play.

Most guys in the draft have a lot of development to do, and some guys just don’t have the same motor once they start cashing NBA checks and it’s really hard get all that stuff right. That’s the job of the GM though, and that’s why Sacramento and Orlando keep going through GM’s.

What would Mitchell be had he been drafted by Sacramento? With a much worse situation. Yes there is “luck” in the NBA draft, but there is also a lot too building a culture, and internal systems that can help make guys successful. I think Portland has been somewhat average at this. Where as Orlando and Sac Town have really sucked at it.

tester551 likes this.
  16. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

That’s actually nuts. Both Russell and Okafor had decent starts to their NBA careers, Russell has actually been quite good all this time. Okafor has turned out to be hopeless though, his offensive game can be sweet but you cannot get away with being that bad and lazy defensively.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

That’s a good point. There are some cases where players can go into bad environment and still do well and maybe transform that team somewhat but usually to get the best out of those kids you need to put them in the right culture. What Mitchell has at Utah is beyond perfect for a young player with potential like him. As you say at Sacramento he would be running around with Fox and not much else, it could be great as they are both dynamic players but it could have also ended up with them getting into each other’s way.

Perfect fit would have been Booker at Philadelphia though. Put him in their current team and you have a contender maybe even within 2 years.

18. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bump!

The opening post is EXACTLY why Neil needs to be fired.

19. BonesJones

How many threads are you gonna bump dude? Just cluttering up the main page with a bunch of duplicated threads from different time periods.

Propagandist likes this.
  20. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I appreciate this. Fuck that Olshey guy. What's very true is the what-could-have-beens. This could have been worse?!?