San Jose Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Feb 24, 2011.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Re: Earthquakes Top FC Dallas 2-1

Republic FC Announce Dual Partnership
    Sacramento partners with Portland, San Jose of MLS

[​IMG]

Sacramento Republic FC News Release -- www.sacrepublicfc.com

Thursday, January 23, 2014

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Sacramento Republic FC has entered into separate affiliate agreements between the Portland Timbers and the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer (MLS), making Republic FC the official USL PRO affiliate to both MLS clubs. The agreements come following a development partnership between MLS and USL PRO in 2013 to help further the development of professional soccer in North America.

Each respective affiliate agreement between the Timbers, Earthquakes and Republic FC, set to play its inaugural season in USL PRO in 2014, encompasses multiple strategic elements including but not limited to player development

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1vyl3y

2. EPJr

3. EPJr

4. EPJr

2014 San Jose Earthquakes Preview:
    Cage matches and injury curses for the Goonies

[​IMG]

100 percent Wondo: After tying the league record with 27 goals in the 2012 season, Chris Wondolowski got a fat new Designated Player contract and a subsequent drop in production. He banged home just 11 in 2013 as the Quakes went dry in front of net. Part of the reason was physical: He spent most of the year playing on a broken toe. He's healthy now, though, and started 2013 off in good form with a brace for the USMNT vs. South Korea.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ew-cage-matches-and-injury-curses-goonies-arm

5. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Earthquakes Rally from Two-Goal Deficit to Draw Real Salt Lake

The San Jose Earthquakes rallied from a two-goal first-half deficit to tie Real Salt Lake 3-3 in the club's MLS opener on Saturday at a sold-out Buck Shaw Stadium.
    Honduran center back Victor Bernardez provided the spark with a pair of second-half goals, the latter of which came in the 95th minute. The Earthquakes now have 17 second-half stoppage-time goals in all competitions since 2012, 15 of which have been of the game-tying or game-winning nature.

Chris Wondolowski put San Jose on top early with a close-range finish from his thigh. Shea Salinas whipped a free kick into the box where Bernardez flicked the ball toward goal and right in front of Wondolowski, who calmly directed a shot past Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando.

Real Salt Lake came roaring back with three straight goals. The first was a blast from long range via Kyle Beckerman. RSL's captain struck his shot from 30 yards out with his left foot, banging it off the post and in.

Joao Plata was the next RSL player to find the scoresheet, working a give-and-go with Luis Gil in the area. Plata fed Gil, who returned the pass to Plata on a horizontal run across the box. Plata whiffed his first attempt, but collected and fired to the near post to make it 2-1.

Offseason signing Luke Mulholland capped the scoring for RSL with a put-back attempt from close range in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage. Ned Grabavoy tried his luck from just inside the box, but Earthquakes goalkeeper Jon Busch punched the ball away. Unfortunately for Busch, Mulholland found the blocked shot first and fired from the doorstep to give the visitors a 3-1 advantage.

San Jose head coach Mark Watson altered the game plan at halftime and inserted Alan Gordon and JJ Koval into the match in the 63rd minute. As a result, the Quakes peppered RSL with 17 shots in the second half, seven of which were on target. The Earthquakes out-shot Real Salt Lake 27-12 on the night.

Bernardez pulled one back in the 75th minute, smashing a header past Rimando. Salinas picked up the assist with another set piece, this time providing service from a corner kick. Bernardez wriggled himself free at the near post and powered his shot into the net for his first goal of the season.

The Honduran national teamer scored the game-tying goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time. Shaun Francis sent a high-arching cross into the mix, forcing Rimando to try and bat the ball away from trouble. However, Rimando wasn't able to send the ball where he wanted thanks to pressure from Gordon. Bernardez was the benefactor, taking one touch before booting his shot to the lower corner.

The Earthquakes will hit the road for their next two matches, the first of which is a decisive second leg against Deportivo Toluca FC in CONCACAF Champions League. San Jose enters the game tied at 1-1 with Toluca FC holding an advantage thanks to their away goal. Toluca FC hosts the Quakes on Wednesday, March 19 at Nemesio Diez Stadium with kickoff at 5 p.m. PT on FOX Sports 2 and Univision Deportes Network.

San Jose's next MLS match is Saturday, March 22 against defending MLS Cup champion Sporting Kansas City. Kickoff is 5:30 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet Plus, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.

Press release from the San Jose Earthquakes

6. truebluefan

Wondolowski Goal Rallies Earthquakes to 1-1 Draw against Columbus

Chris Wondolowski scored his third goal of the season to rally the San Jose Earthquakes to a 1-1 draw against the Columbus Crew on Saturday at Buck Shaw Stadium.
    Federico Higuain gave the visitors an initial 1-0 lead just before halftime, tapping home a cross from Waylon Francis. Hector Jimenez started the sequence with a lofted ball to the sideline, finding Francis in stride. The Costa Rican left back took the ball toward the end line and then slotted a pass on the ground to Higuain in the middle of the box for the finish.

The Earthquakes took control after the break with Portuguese signing Yannick Djalo providing a spark off the bench. San Jose's first chance came just 20 seconds into the second half as Djalo sprung Wondolowski for a shot on the right side of the box. Wondolowski cut back after chasing down a through ball and fired with his left foot, only to be denied by a diving save from Crew goalkeeper Steve Clark.

Djalo was again in the mix a little over a minute later, this time finding the post on a chipped shot after a corner kick from Shea Salinas. Clarence Goodson was at the back post and nearly got a head on the ball before it struck iron. Djalo had another go on the rebound, but didn't locate the target.

San Jose finally profited from their early chances in the 51st minute. Salinas zipped a corner into the middle of the box and found Wondolowski open at the doorstep for his third goal in four games to start the season.

The draw ups the Earthquakes' unbeaten streak against Columbus to seven games.

San Jose returns to action on Saturday, April 19 against the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Kickoff is 3 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.

7. truebluefan

Djalo Goal Lifts San Jose Earthquakes to 1-0 Win against Chivas USA

Portuguese playmaker Yannick Djalo scored his first career MLS goal to lead the San Jose Earthquakes to a 1-0 win over Chivas USA on Saturday at a sold-out Buck Shaw Stadium. The win was the first of the season for San Jose, improving them to 1-2-3 on the year.
    Djalo came on at halftime and created a flurry of offense. His attacks bore fruit in the 66th minute when he finished a Shea Salinas cross with a spectacular volley into the far post. Salinas now has four assists on the season for the Quakes.

Minutes later, Chris Wondolowski appeared to double San Jose's lead after tapping home a through ball from Salinas, but the goal didn't stand after he was whistled for offsides.

Jon Busch earned his second straight shutout. He also made three saves, upping his career total to 996, four shy of becoming the seventh goalkeeper in MLS history to hit the 1,000 saves milestone.

The Earthquakes are now 5-0-2 in their last seven games against Chivas USA. Their last loss came on July 6, 2011 at the StubHub Center, 2-0.

San Jose returns to action on Saturday, May 3 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place. Kickoff is 4 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet Plus, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF. The match will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the first match ever played for both clubs. The teams squared off for the first time in the North American Soccer League on May 5, 1974.

8. EPJr

MIDSEASON FRIENDLY
    [​IMG]

The San Jose Earthquakes are the latest MLS team to line up a high-profile summer friendly, announcing a match agains current La Liga leaders Atlético Madrid at Candlestick Park on July 27.

The match is part of the second annual Copa EuroAmericana, which will also feature French club Monaco, Italian club Fiorentina, and two Colombian clubs.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...16-pele-beckhams-miami-bid?module=from_footer

9. EPJr

10. truebluefan

11. truebluefan

The San Jose Earthquakes christened their new home with an electric 2-1 victory over the Chicago Fire in the inaugural match at Avaya Stadium on Sunday in front of a sellout crowd of 18,000.
    San Jose opened the scoring in the fifth minute of the match. Following a corner kick by midfielder Matias Perez Garcia, the ball was headed into the air and redirected goal-ward by defender Clarence Goodson. Rookie midfielder Fatai Alashe found himself between the ball and the goal and headed the ball into the back of the net. It marked Alashe's first career MLS goal.

The Earthquakes doubled their lead in the 21st minute. Perez Garcia whipped in an out-swinging free kick from the left side of the pitch. Goodson created space outside of the six-yard box and volleyed the ball on target with his left foot. The bouncing ball wasn't played cleanly by Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson and the rebound was slotted home by defender Ty Harden. It marked Harden's first career MLS goal and his 100th career MLS match.

The Fire got a goal back in the 29th minute on the right foot of Harry Shipp. Shipp received a through ball from Joevin Jones near the penalty spot and first-timed the ball past Quakes keeper David Bingham.

In the 32nd minute, Bingham's quick reflexes helped keep San Jose's one-goal advantage. Fire defender Eric Gehrig firmly headed a corner kick on net, but Bingham punched the ball safely over the crossbar.

The two sides created several scoring chances in the second half, but neither team was able to find the back of the net.

The Quakes will look for their third consecutive victory when they take on the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, March 28 at 12 p.m. PT. The game will air live on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, 1590 KLIV, 1370 KZSF.

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH DOMINIC KINNEAR

On first game in the new Avaya Stadium:

"When you walk out here, just the energy and enthusiasm from some friends and family before the game, you know it's spreading throughout the whole city and soccer community, it's wonderful. The atmosphere was just fantastic. I'm glad we gave them good early goals to get them excited and keep them nice and vocal. My thanks always go to Mr. Fisher and Mr. Wolff and Dave Kaval for putting together a great project and fulfilling everything and making the players love this place and giving MLS another wonderful stadium. Glad we won the game. That makes it even better and makes everything look a little better. Overall, it's a wonderful place to play."

On the new center back pairing (Ty Harden & Clarence Goodson):

"I thought they did pretty good. Chicago did have some possession. We had a hard time getting it out of our half in the second half, but I thought we defended pretty well. They defended the box well. Obviously they combined for the second goal on the set piece. So overall, it was an easy way to go about things - it was two center backs out and two center backs in and keep the rest the same. And I thought they defended very well for us."

On Matias Perez Garcia's set pieces:

"He delivers a great ball, and it wasn't just those two - he looked dangerous on a couple other ones as well. His overall play, I've been really happy with Matias. I thought tonight on the ball, the guy picks the right pass and he's a really intelligent player. His set piece delivery is up there with the best of them."

On electric atmosphere in new stadium:

"It gets the guys charged up. I think we came out with a good amount of aggression and a good amount of energy. Obviously you love to get an early goal for a couple reasons - for the good of the game and for your team, and obviously to get the fans involved right away. I think when those goals went in the roof was almost getting shouted off the hinges."

EARTHQUAKES GOALKEEPER DAVID BINGHAM

On defensive effort:

"It was tough in the second half. We were up one and just wanted to hold the lead. We weren't able to add to the lead and you sensed our defense step up to not break. We kept their chances few and far in between to be fair. Credit to the back line. Even though we were missing Victor [Bernardez], we didn't miss a beat. Obviously he's a great player, but we have confidence in every guy in this locker room."

On stadium atmosphere:

"I loved it. I'm a local kid, so it was exciting. Getting to open a stadium at home is a phenomenal feeling. Couldn't have scripted it any better to get a win. I'll never forget today."

EARTHQUAKES FORWARD CHRIS WONDOLOWSKI

On Quakes' taking early lead:

"It was a important to get a lead early. You go out there with so much excitement and you want to feed off of the fans. After Fatai's [Alashe] goal, the crowd erupted like I've never heard before. I just ran to him in excitement and gave him a big hug. I'm proud of him. The way he played in that midfield shows why he is a great player."

On Avaya Stadium opening:

"It was great to be a part of it. It is an honor to play here. As players, we know we have something special. We take pride in playing in our house and we want to protect it. We are happy for the fans and for the community. When you have a sense that this building is yours, it trickles down from the stands to the field. We're expecting this to be every week."

EARTHQUAKES MIDFIELDER FATAI ALASHE

On earning a call up to the U.S. U-23 National Team:

"It's something that's really important to me, honestly. I've always wanted the opportunity to get in with the national team and this is my chance and I'm just going to try my best."

On his goal:

"Great ball in, like I said before. Clay [Clarence Goodson] got a good head on it. Keeper went out a little bit. I was just doing my job, trying stay in front of him. And when the ball got headed back in in front of goal, I just did whatever I could to try and get it in the back of the net."

12. EPJr

13. truebluefan

14. truebluefan

15. truebluefan

FC Dallas 0, San Jose Earthquakes 1

The San Jose Earthquakes came into Frisco Saturday night and handed FC Dallas something no other MLS side has been able to in 2017 -- a loss.

Jahmir Hyka's goal came mere moments after he had a goal called back on a tight offside call, as the Quakes started to find momentum in a game that had lacked quality in the final third. Hyka chipped Matt Hedges then hit the volley to grab his third goal of the season.

read more https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-05-20-fc-dallas-vs-san-jose-earthquakes/recap

16. truebluefan

17. truebluefan