Save our Sonics

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by psheehy, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">djdiggydiggy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wait, so fans are holding up signs at a WNBA game to appeal to keep the team??? There's still a WNBA?!?</div>

2004 champion Seattle Storm, recognize.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Within hours after the draft, phones in the downtown offices started ringing, and Durant-mania began to take root.

"We sold over 40 full-season tickets and we've taken another 20 orders on mini-packages, and that's within the first 90 minutes after the announcement," said Brian Byrnes, vice president of sales and marketing. "That's a very good start. We expect to have a terrific day [today]."

The Sonics launched an ad campaign Tuesday night called "Be Part of It." It doesn't mention Durant but alludes to his future with the team.</div>

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...388_soni23.html

3. Shard

Shard Hi2u

If we can't keep this team here now, we're terrible fans. The past like five years have been some of the best years in Northwest basketball ever. Talent is coming from here like never before, the college teams have been outstanding, the Sonics had a great season, the Storm won a championship, and now the Sonics are going to add a future hall of famer to their team that is one year removed from high school. They have to stay.

4. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

If they don't stay after Kevin Durant I'm gonna cry. >.<

5. The_Future

The_Future JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Shrek Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If we can't keep this team here now, we're terrible fans. The past like five years have been some of the best years in Northwest basketball ever. Talent is coming from here like never before, the college teams have been outstanding, the Sonics had a great season, the Storm won a championship, and now the Sonics are going to add a future hall of famer to their team that is one year removed from high school. They have to stay.</div>

I feel bad for Sonics fans, getting a great prospect like Durant (possibly Oden) and to have the team still possibly move would be terrible, unless of course you guys still cheer for the Sonics where ever they may roam if they do.

I just hope the Blazer fans don't turn out the biggest loser, and by that I mean Paul Allen moving the Blazers to his hometown in Seattle, Portland fans would feel crushed since this is the only sport team (home team) we can route for. Anyway best of luck to you guys, keep your faith up!

6. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

Brian Robinson has been a powerful advocate for basketball fans in Seattle and recently launched a campaign for "I-93 A Deal is a Deal" (Seattle allows voter initiatives on the ballot) to force city officials to hold Sonics ownership to their Key Arena lease for its full term without negotiation.

Brian secured the endorsement of Chris Van Dyk and Citizens for more Important Things, the very group that got the law passed preventing the city from funding stadiums unless they create a favorable Return on Investment.

The Seattle Council is now putting a modified version of the initiative up to a vote in the council. That would make the initiative moot, but save the need for a public vote. They have adopted the core content of the initiative in their proposal.

Essentially this would require the Sonics to play all regular season games in Key Arena through the 2009-2010 season. The wording of the lease says it cannot be changed without approval from BOTH parties (the city and the team) and this would prevent the city from negotiating.

The hope is that it will send a message to the ownership and the league that Seattle will not give up the team without a fight and encourage Stern and the leagues owners to vote against allowing Bennett and his cronies to relocate to a smaller market.

7. psheehy

Ordinance goes up for vote on Tuesday, September 4th.

8. psheehy

Ok, the ordinance was introduced on the 4th, it goes up for the vote on the 11th.

Bennett and local politicians toured the Muckleshoot location yesterday in Auburn, WA.

9. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

Oh so Bennet finally made it out to Muckleshoot eh? He had been dodging the Muckleshoots ever since they showed some interest.

10. psheehy

It was strangely timed to coincide with the introduction of the council's ordinance to prevent the city from negotiating an "early out" for their Key Arena lease.

I am sure that it is just for show.

Source
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...bennett06m.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"At least he's making the rounds," Santos said. "The Muckleshoots aren't going to give him everything he wants, but they're going to make it pretty appealing."</div>

11. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

I agree, it's just to show his "good faith effort".

BS.

12. psheehy

If you are a local...try and get out to support SOS, the area's best comics are donating their time and talents...</p>

</p>[​IMG]

13. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

During the game vs. the Celtics, I think either 3rd or 4th quarter...I heard this chant: Save Our Sonics! I really want us here...but is it going to happen???