Game Thread SEASON 8, The End!

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 14, 2019.

1. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    I’m not guessing. Next weeks episode will start with Daenerys taking Jamie hostage. If that happens then so will everything else.

2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Sauces.

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Thread title updated.

e_blazer likes this.
  4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

And death #1

5. Mediocre Man

Drogon = Enola Gay

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  6. Mediocre Man

And my favorite just died

7. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    My watch has ended.

8. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

WTF Just happened?

hoopsjock likes this.
  9. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Mad Writers

hoopsjock likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The leaks are true. This show is trash.

11. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Very close to not watching the finale.

I think the writing of the characters this season has been so far off. And, yeah, one of the characters most impacted is one of my favorites. But there even are characters I don't like who were written as someone I couldn't recognize.

Cersei crying? Wha? It seemed like things followed her plans (although how she thought that would play out well for her is beyond me). And then she suddenly turns soft and starts caring about her family again.

And the whole thing with Euron and Jaime .... Huh?

Arya goes from assassin back to child.

I don't know. It almost seemed like the writers were like "we don't want to be accused of fan service, so we're going to give you an ending no one will like and we're not even going to have it make sense."

12. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    "She's got something special planned for the Targeryan girl."

Wonder what that was.

hoopsjock likes this.
  13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The leaks have all been true and the ending is going to suck balls.

PCmor7 likes this.
  14. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...well, not everyone (yet)! :sigh:

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  15. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

Wildfire under the throne

But jokes on Cersei... Dany can’t be hurt by it

hoopsjock likes this.
  16. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Best episode this season. Not saying much but I enjoyed this one well enough. Dany going mad could have progressed better but it makes sense. She's always been suspect.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I don't get that. That seems to be something that's come up this season because the writers painted themselves into a corner. She's never gone berserk on innocents before. She's often gone against her better judgment to follow her advisers. How has she always been suspect?

Natebishop3 and hoopsjock like this.
  18. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Of course she's never gone berserk on innocents before, but she's always been vindictive and only reluctantly followed advice from others. She's lost two of her "children" and her best (and only?) friend. The man she loves is the rightful ruler, which she based her entire identity on before, and the people she wants to rule don't love her at all. She has no place. I realize that's all happened this season but I just think her psychotic break makes sense.

I mean, this is certainly better than her just winning and becoming a benevolent queen, IMO.

Titan likes this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

So far I'm closest.

20. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Disagree, and please bear with me for a couple of minutes as I explain why. First, perhaps vindictive, and, yet, that's never before resulted in her punishing those that didn't have it coming. The witch lied to her and left Drogo a vegetable. Dany could have burned herself to death along with her. The khals had imprisoned her and were going to take turns raping her; she really wasn't going to negotiate herself out of that. The Tarleys were enemies and she still gave them an opportunity to bend the knee. Varys betrayed her after he had agreed to come to her if he ever found someone he thought would make a better ruler, and she told him ahead of time that would be his fate if he ever did that; plus, it's not like Varys didn't have a track record with not being trustworthy.

Whether you say she followed advice reluctantly or not, she was measured and followed it, whether it be taking a husband and reopening the slave pits in Meereen or not attacking Kings Landing immediately. Heck, part of her downfall could be construed as listening too much to her advisors.

Her reasoning for going "mad" isn't really that solid, either. She was isolated and had sustained several personal losses. Of course, that might be enough to push her over the edge ... except she lost her father and two brothers, was sexually assaulted, eventually earned the respect of Drogo only to lose both him and her son and her ability to conceive, then she loses Barristan Selmy to the Sons of the Harpy. Even after all that, she doesn't butcher innocents. Even when she leads the Dothraki back to Meereen, they take out the insurgents, not everyone.

Doesn't sound like someone given to madness to me.

Further, if you still want to point to her treatment of the witch, the khals and the Tarleys as proof that she was unstable, I would suggest you look at what other "benevolent" characters did in this series and consider the world in which they lived. Ned Stark executed a deserter in the first episode. Ned was going to execute Jorah Mormont for selling poachers into slavery. Arya Stark ruthlessly dispatches dozens at the Frey dinner; is she mad?

And then there's our hero, Jon Snow, the man who betrayed Dany's trust by telling the very people who could most harm her with his secret (BTW, if anything, that's what set her off, not the losses, not that he's the rightful heir of a throne he doesn't want, but that the man for whom she suspended her campaign against King's Landing, the man she saved north of the wall at the expense of one of her children, the man whose cause she put ahead of her own and ended up losing half her force, her Dothraki commander and her mentor who then can't make sure they have this all worked out before he goes blabbing to Sansa, who he knows doesn't like Dany ... Jon actually is a major villain in terms of his stupidity and naivete, because he could have saved thousands of lives at Winterfell and King's Landing with better planning, patience and honesty). Anyway, I seem to recall Jon Snow executing the members of the Knight's Watch who attempted to assassinate him. Was he mad, or was he justified?

And, before you answer that, consider also that Jon is a Targeryan, too, so if Dany is subject to suspicion of madness, so should he.

Destroying King's Landing when the battle was over made absolutely no sense in the context of how it was written. Truthfully, the same thing could have been accomplished much more effectively and believably by having Drogon and Dany inadvertently blow up the city using wildfire planted by Cersei while she was combating Lannister troops. Dany goes from doing a 180 in one episode to becoming a tragic figure. The Westerosi who don't know her nor trust her believe she went mad and blew up the city. She can't convince them otherwise, and she winds up being killed by the very people she was trying to rescue. We, the viewers, know it, but none of them do. Everyone is the worse off because of what happened, and her character nor any of the others is ruined in the execution of the story.

They only had two years to not botch it. And yet, here we are.

hoopsjock likes this.