Game Thread SEASON 8, The End!

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 14, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

“Our fathers were evil men. All of us here. They left the world worse than they found it. We’re not going to do that. We’re going to leave the world better than we found it” - Dany

Titan and hoopsjock like this.
  2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Please stop fucking talking about this.

3. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    For the most part the people who followed her did so of their own free will. What she's turned into would be the equivalent of her killing all the slaves instead of freeing them.

I don't believe her transformation to being mad. It's like the Star Wars prequels in which I don't believe Anakin would just start murdering innocent children.

Much like Lost a show that I thoroughly enjoyed turned into complete shit.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I have literally revealed nothing. Get over it.

Whether something sucks or is good is completely subjective. I thought this episode sucked. Vanilla liked it.

If you hadn't seen Avengers End Game, and I told you it sucked, would that have spoiled anything for you? No. I'm just telling you that I think the ending is going to suck if it plays out like some people have said. I didn't say it would be a happy ending or a sad ending or anything else that actually gives anything away. Just that I think it will be lame.

And if it really bothers you, just block me.

6. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Why can't you fucking respect that this thread is for discussing the episode and non-spoiler theories?

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  7. Natebishop3

Because I literally don't give a shit if I'm bothering you.

8. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Wow, that's pretty fucked up Nate.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  9. Natebishop3

Well you getting pissed off over me literally not posting any spoilers is fucked up.

10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Except you literally posted spoilers that have now been proven to be true and keep referencing them.

11. Natebishop3

What spoilers did I post?

You're thinking of Laynestaley... but thanks for blaming it on me.

trailblazer18 likes this.
  12. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

I've not been a fan of this season, but I did end up liking this episode. We've come to expect epic battles with grisly sword play, clever strategies, big time tension and twists. So, I was fully expecting the dragon to go down and Cersei to win...for at least this episode anyway. Instead, it was a one sided massacre which is realistically what it should be. How many different ways can they show these battles? And how can they keep topping the previous ones? For the first time, it was mostly shown thru the eyes of innocents and I thought that was fresh and needed.

I like that they added a new name for Arya's list. Gives her some new purpose. Not sure if she'll take out Dany or the dragon, but it's gotta be at least one of them. I understand why folks aren't buying Dany's darker turn, but it's plausible enough for me. I was dubious about Jaime returning to Cersei after she'd just hired someone to murder him, but it ended up being more about ensuring he was with her at the end than trying to re-win her or defend her. I thought that was pretty good closure for his character arc and if Cersei had to go out, best it literally and figuratively came crashing down on her. I don't know what I expected of Euron, he's portrayed so much differently than the books. For what they built him up as, I suppose it was fitting. Greyjoys, as portrayed in the show, are more bark than actual bite. Hound and Mountain was pretty good. Figured fire would play a role. I'm looking forward to next week now. Ultimately, the story is about the Starks and Targaryens and here they are last two standing. It will be interesting where they stage it. Along the Trident River would be pretty cool.

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

D&D have really ruined this season. A lot of character arcs were destroyed this season.

My issues with the last episode

1. Cersei crying?
    2. Cersei, one of the best villains of all time, deserved a better death....if she's indeed dead.
    3. Jaime's entire arc was worthless

14. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I actually think "Lost" ends better than this. "Lost" had too many plot contrivances that the writers never could (or intended to) tie up. The characters, though, remained true to who they were, for the most part (Locke, to me, being the one notable exception).

In GoT, the characterizations got thrown out in an effort to tie things up and for cinematographic majesty. In the end, stories are about people, where they come from, how they react. A good story gives us characters with whom we can resonate, sympathize. None of us ever is going to burn down a medieval city with a dragon, but some of us will be left feeling isolated and alone or facing what appears to be an insurmountable challenge. Once you lose the characters, you might as well be watching a video game.

Wizard Mentor and hoopsjock like this.
  15. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    The one character the writers seemed to care enough about not to change was Jon. He's a good character who really makes you think, if you stop looking at him as just the hero.

I always said there are "good guys" and there are "nice guys," and they aren't the same thing. A good guy will make hard yet unpopular decisions. A nice guy will shrink away from that, often doing what superficially helps people but being more comfortable being a secondary figure to avoid being disliked.

Jon's a "nice guy."

Jon's dangerous, more dangerous than Cersei or Dany. He has this likability factor, this charisma, that draws people to him. He has this authenticity. But he's neither smart nor wise nor ambitious. That leads to him being a false messiah. People are literally following a guy who knows nothing, and flocking to him resulted in tens if not hundreds of thousands of deaths in this show, from his ill-planned and ill-executed defense of Winterfell to his honest-to-a-fault need to share explosive information with Sansa on the eve of the battle of King's Landing. He says he has to tell Sansa and Arya because they are family ... and yet, Dany not only is family, too, but she is his love. His intentions might be good, but he can't read people or situations. He leaves the person who has sacrificed more for him and his cause than anyone because he is much too simple. But that's true to his character. It's who he always was.

I'm interested to see how many if anyone picks up on the idea that Jon actually is one of the true villains of this series, if at least unintentionally. Dany got it right. He betrayed her. But he's the useful idiot that thousands would follow to their deaths because he can inspire to causes with no good plan on how to accomplish his goals, and then he doesn't really want to take the responsibility of picking up the pieces afterward.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The Nuggets and Doris Day died last night....

17. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    As much as I think the writers unnecessarily and irrationally skewed Dany's character, I'd probably feel even more upset if I was a Cersei fan.

The biggest chess player in the series along with Littlefinger, the coolest cucumber, the master manipulator, the calculator. Oh, and she has a plan for this.

So her plan turns out to be playing Davy Crockett in the Red Keep? Huh? That's your plan?

And she goes out like a chump, sniveling and saying she doesn't want to die. She should be Khan or Richard III, with her last breath spitting at Dany. Nah. She's turned into the damsel in distress: "Oh, Jaime, you came back! Hold me."

And Euron ... he's all about self-preservation. He's literally a freaking pirate! He's going to pick an ego-driven fight with an ally as King's Landing is falling down around them? No, of course he's not. He's either getting to Cersei and getting out of there to keep the war going or, more likely, he's getting out of there himself and figuring out a new way to pursue wealth and power. He's an egomaniac, but that's not going to supersede his lust for power. He's been a very patient character. Suddenly he's going to pursue a minor grudge to the death, just giving up everything? Makes no sense.

18. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I think that if you think about it more carefully, you'll have a lot more than 3 issues with the episode :)

19. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

That episode left me like a computer showing that spinning rainbow wheel (or for you PC users, the hourglass)... I've glitched.... Cannot compute.

20. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I enjoyed the episode. However, the obvious lack of internal consistency is really going to
    hamper season 8's rewatchability.

D & D obviously never played D&D or they'd have a freaking clue.

Fun in the Sun and PCmor7 like this.