Second rounders?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, May 22, 2024.

1. cheesehoff

cheesehoff Well-Known Member

Absolutely would love if they took him in the second round...(along with Shead or Newton). 6'7" w/o shoes. Excellent defender on 1-3. Shooting splits are 46, 41 and 82%. Very high character, also. He is as 3&D as it gets. Get him!

2. cheesehoff

cheesehoff Well-Known Member

Either of these 2 in the second. Both winners, very good defenders, team captains, floor generals, good shooters and have some dawg in them. I've been promoting both on here for quite a while.

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Anton Watson would be nice
    If you aren’t going to supply us with measurements or times I got nothing to back up my final decision.

Do you have access to at least some cone agility drills?

4. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think I would keep looking for high upside in the second round also. Not a role player. Looking for a Jokic or Green. Have no idea who those might be.

5. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

AJ Johnson or Pacome Dadiet have a chance... inherently, the chance is small.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  6. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Here is a guy that looks interesting for me. Projedted late second round.
    Izan Almansa
    G League Ignite, Spain
    Accomplished international big who projects as a versatile offensive hub and prolific rebounder.

[​IMG]
    SHADES OF
    Kevin Love
    • [​IMG]
      Feel for the Game
    • [​IMG]
      Rebounding
    PLUSES
    • Strong elbow and post playmaker with the ability to handle double-teams and locate shooters and cutters. His NBA team could use him in dribble handoffs since he can also dribble to the basket or turn his back into post-ups.

• Beautiful post scorer who moves with purpose. He loves using spin moves straight into hook shots, and it works no matter the angle or the defensive contest. Sometimes, he’ll even do it with his left hand.

• Fundamental screener and eager roller with amazing hands. Though he’s capable of dunking over defenders, he primarily finishes through length and contact using his soft touch. He’s patient and uses head and ball fakes to let defenders fly by when needed.

• A potential short-roll menace if paired with the right point guard. He’s a strong dribbler and passer, and he also has a push floater that could punish defenses that leave him open. If his shot develops, his open-floor ballhandling would open up his game even more.

• Elite rebounder on both ends with a nose for the ball. He’s like a magnet.

• High-effort defender with the ability to play in different schemes. He’s nimble enough to switch or blitz.
    MINUSES
    • Subpar free throw shooter and stiff from 3. At this stage, his shooting development is purely hypothetical. But how could someone with his soft touch not end up learning how to shoot 3s?

• As a drop-coverage big man on defense, he’s more of a positional defender than an imposing shot blocker. And on the perimeter, he’s solid but not a stopper. He still gets roasted by some quicker players.

• Gets overpowered by stronger players on post-ups, which raises concerns about his ability to play center.

Boomchakalaka2 and Rastapopoulos like this.
  7. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Good catch. I had not checked out Dadiet until now but he looks like the kind of guy Portland would take.
    "A French wing with good size, Dadiet is extremely skilled and has a strong frame that he is still growing into. He has a good natural feel for the game and is seemingly just scratching the surface of his potential on both ends.

While he’s still learning to create for himself at a high level, he is a proven shot-maker. As an off-ball threat, he can knock down shots from all over, but he needs to be more assertive as a scorer to really reach his ceiling. He’s also a smart cutter and has a good sense of understanding how to score. He’s also a reliable free throw shooter, which is another reason it’s easy to buy into his shot translating.

Dadiet also boasts defensive upside and is only getting better. He has no problem playing physically and is a super tough prospect. He uses his length and strength to be disruptive on that end. He needs to learn to be more disciplined defensively, but that should come with time."

PCmor7 and AmirIcon like this.
  8. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

I think the Blazers trade one of the 2nd round picks either for a future 2nd OR maybe to move up / part of a package that might include a Williams or Brogs

AmirIcon likes this.
  9. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    We need to end up with at least one of the French prospects.

10. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I could also see, if for some reason, Chomche fell to #34, we could draft him and give him 2-way contracts his entire first year and then give him a three year rookie year after that. Then draft the good role player with #40.

TBpup likes this.
  11. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

12. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
  13. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

He applied for another year of eligibility; he only played 18 games his first 2 seasons. I doubt the application is granted.

14. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I'm with you on Jamal Shead:
    upload_2024-5-31_12-1-3.png
    upload_2024-5-31_12-1-20.png
    upload_2024-5-31_12-1-47.png

I may be in love!

cheesehoff and TBpup like this.
  15. MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA Active Member

Jonathan Mogbo - I'm catching up on his tape. He's like a Jarace Walker clone with more mobility. Draft him and get an elite shooting coach pronto.

TBpup, AmirIcon and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Yeah, I'm REALLY intrigued.

upload_2024-6-7_14-17-51.png

Story is he was 5'9" coming out of HS so didn't get ANY offers and then had a crazy growth spurt. I love guys like that: Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Anthony Davis...

TBpup and AmirIcon like this.
  17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    More on Mogbo:

Dynamic forward Jonathan Mogbo took an unconventional path to USF, where he’s helped the Dons win 22 games entering the West Coast Conference tournament.
    He is averaging 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds per game (13th in the nation), while shooting 64.3% from the field (seventh in the nation).Jonathan Mogbo spent his four previous basketball seasons at four schools in four states: High school in Florida, one junior college in Kansas, another JC in Oklahoma, then one year at Division I Missouri State. This itinerant path raises a relevant question. How exactly did Mogbo end up within shouting distance of the Pacific Ocean, turning lobs into dunks and delivering precise passes while leading the University of San Francisco to 23 wins and counting?The answer involves Dons assistant coach Kyle Bankhead, Mogbo’s desire to spread his wings on the court, some guidance from his cousin and a splash of NIL money, the modern-day punctuation mark in college recruiting.
    Mix it all together and that’s why Mogbo (pronounced Mo-bo) now plays for USF, his fifth school in five years in five states. And his presence helps explain how the Dons earned the No. 3 seed in the West Coast Conference tournament, in which they play No. 19 Gonzaga in Monday night’s semifinals in Las Vegas after Saturday night’s 72-51 win over Portland.Santa Clara, which crushed San Diego 104-79 on Saturday, will face No. 23 St. Mary’s, the tournament’s top seed, in Monday’s other semifinal.
    Mogbo, a 6-foot-8 forward, arrived in Vegas as the WCC Newcomer of the Year and a first-team, all-conference selection. His numerical credentials are striking: 14.5 points and 10.2 rebounds per game (13th in the nation), while shooting 64.3% from the field (seventh in the nation).His journey to USF counts as even more striking.
    “I didn’t want people to see me as a person who just transfers, transfers, transfers,” Mogbo said. “But I wanted to put myself in the best spot I could.”That quest traces to his upbringing in West Palm Beach, Fla., where one of his AAU teammates dating to fourth grade was Scottie Barnes. Barnes now plays for the Toronto Raptors, was named NBA Rookie of the Year in 2022 and earned his first All-Star Game berth last month. Barnes stands 6-7, one inch shorter than Mogbo, but the height disparity was flipped and more significant during their youth. Mogbo began high school as a skinny, 5-9 guard, which enhanced his ballhandling skills and didn’t especially help his college prospects.He grew to 6-6 as a senior but remained skinny and had no D-I offers coming out of Forest Hill High. Mogbo spent his first college season at Independence Community College in Kansas, where his coach left after the season, so Mogbo also felt compelled to depart. He landed at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M and blossomed under coach Jeremy Jackson. At one jamboree event in Colorado (essentially a recruiting showcase), he caught the attention of Bankhead, then an assistant at Abilene Christian — who walked into the gym and immediately saw Mogbo rise to the rim for a resounding dunk.
    Mogbo scheduled a recruiting visit to Abilene but first went to Missouri State, “rushed” himself, committed on the spot and canceled the trip to see Bankhead. That turned out to be a mistake, Mogbo said, because Missouri State had too many players selfishly chasing their own numbers. So he put his name in the transfer portal in the spring of 2023 — and again caught the attention of Bankhead, by then an assistant at USF.Head coach Chris Gerlufsen had made the team’s priorities clear. The Dons needed to become more athletic on the frontline, have more of a shot-blocking presence defensively and improve their rebounding. Bankhead figured Mogbo could help on all fronts. “I already had a relationship with him and his mom,” Bankhead said. “I thought he was something we could need, the rebounding and defensive pieces. So we got him out here, and I had to kind of tell our staff he had more to his game than just being around the basket and dunking.
    “He had a lot more skill than people realized. I thought it was a pretty good match.”Mogbo was interested in USF but determined not to rush his decision this time. He had felt pigeonholed at Missouri State, stationed near the basket and seldom free to show the varied skills he had displayed at Northeastern Oklahoma.So Mogbo consulted his cousin, Rudi Williams, who played last season at BYU, then a member of the WCC. Williams said USF played unselfishly, sharing the ball on offense. Mogbo watched video of one Dons game and saw visual evidence of what Williams told him. The final piece was NIL, the vehicle for college athletes to monetize their name, image and likeness. Mogbo acknowledged NIL played a “little part” in his decision to come to USF. He didn’t provide details, but he singled out officials with the Hilltop Club, the fund-raising collective formed in support of USF athletics.“All of that is part of the recruiting process now,” Gerlufsen said. “I believe (NIL) should be the cherry on top in decisions, the thing that kind of pushes it over the edge.”
    Mogbo pushed the Dons (23-9) along even more than Gerlufsen expected. This stretches beyond the leaping ability and dunks, beyond the defense and shot-blocking. Gerlufsen runs much of his offense through Mogbo near the free-throw line, where he often finds teammates cutting to the basket. That’s not exactly what Gerlufsen envisioned when Mogbo stepped on campus last summer.“I quickly learned his ceiling was going to be incredibly high on offense,” Gerlufsen said. “He opened my eyes to all the things he has the ability to do.”So the next, natural question: Will Mogbo stay at USF for his final year (thanks to the pandemic) of college eligibility? He does have an established history of moving along after one season.Mogbo was noncommittal when asked if he plans to stay, saying, “We’ll see.” He did pledge not to transfer to another school, suggesting the decision comes down to turning pro or returning to USF. One NBA scout who has seen Mogbo play described him as a candidate for the developmental G League. The scout praised Mogbo’s rebounding, passing and energy while also recommending he use his last year of eligibility to expand his offensive game. “If he gets a jump shot,” the scout said, “he’d be much more interesting.”USF wouldn’t mind serving as the laboratory.

Sounds a bit like what Mason Plumlee was for us, only with shot blocking and more versatility on defense.

MarinerDNA and Boomchakalaka2 like this.
  18. MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA Active Member

Yeah, he's legit. People say he should play center, but I think he could stick at PF. He has range out to 20 feet, and he's a bit older playing against inferior competition. I would swap out Jabari to take a chance on him.

Mogbo, Dunn, AJ Johnson....there's some dudes in the 2nd round I wouldn't mind trying to develop. There's your upside swings everyone wants.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  19. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Agree 100%.

Dadiet & Holmes are the only ones that Id add to the list (although they're likely to go the 1st round)

20. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Interesting you mention him. A lot of 2-round mocks seem to have the Blazers connected with him.

Definitely a guy I'd be happy coming away with in 2R. I look at his all-around game and there are a lot of comps with contributors on good NBA teams. I see him as a glue guy, kind of the same feeling I had about Jacquez last year. Can do a little bit of everything and is willing to, which makes him as easy fit for a team that either needs a lot of everything or just a solid role player with some game-growth potential.