Politics Securing The Border With A Wall, Duh

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by MARIS61, Dec 19, 2018.

1. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

I don't know what the future holds.

I'm here arguing with people over something I don't even want because it is comical to me.

I'm quickly turning to the sit back and watch it burn @EL PRESIDENTE side

EL PRESIDENTE likes this.
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Lol. Why are you looking for any label besides American?

I lean liberal and am not upset when referred to as such.

However, I'm conservative on lots of issues.

Lanny likes this.
  3. bodyman5000 and 1

To describe what and how I think. I'm like bizarro Chuck D. Neither party is mine not the jackass or the elephant. (Something like that)

There is no third party I would vote for.

I feel like most of the posters here are saying whatever CNN and MSNBC are pushing or on the much smaller side Fox.

If you watch any of those channels and agree with what they're saying even 85 percent of the time you aren't like me.

Basically politics is the Lakers vs Celtics and I'm left out in the cold.

Just to me the Democraps are the Lakers in this comparison. I don't want the Celtics to win either but I HAAAAATE THE LAKERS.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah, I'm just the same, I don't favor either party AT ALL, I just really really hate the Republicans and always vote for the Democrats, but I'm completely unbiased and objective and I'm really the only centrist and logical thinker that exists anywhere and I look at all politics with disdain, but with a completely open mind.

Oh, did I mention that all of you are extremists? It's true.

barfo

5. bodyman5000 and 1

Your sarcasm would have worked better if I didn't admit I lean towards the Republicans. I should say what they preach because they sure don't adhere to anything they argue for.

That and the reason this came up is because I said I may be finding a group that represents my opinions.

If you see Trump, Pelosi and Schumer together and think Trump is the only problem there you have problems.

Find a thread the liberals in this forum disagree on vehemently and bump it so we can see liberalism in all it's glory.

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Maybe he was referring to the part about what Trump might have meant and his remark was about Trump. In reference to your first sentence.

7. barfo

Not really. That was exactly what I was making fun of. Although I wasn't targeting specifically you.

If you think all problems have the same importance, you have problems?

Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean liberals are a single hive-mind, then I guess I'd point you to any thread mentioning Bernie and Hillary.

barfo

Lanny and dviss1 like this.
  8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

To me it's not that simple as saying both sides suck. I also think that's a false equivalence. There are caveats to it. There are Democrats that aren't anything like and don't operate like the Clintons.

Right now the entire Republican party is being held at gunpoint by a guy who's mentally ill. For some reason though they don't seem to understand or care there are no bullets in his gun.

Lanny likes this.
  9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I too am a Liberal on most issues but Conservative on a few.

dviss1 likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm purely anti Trump ..I've been that way since he was a disco creep in the 70s..I'll own that anyday....I'll vote for whoever can show him the boot. If that means I vote for Mueller...so be it..I'd even consider voting for a republican over Trump...just any functioning adult please...

11. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

The most important question, for me.

Are criminals trying to enter our country illegally? If so how many?

We know over 1,000 people are caught EVER DAY trying to enter illegally. No one knows how many are not caught each day.

We also know 70 million Americans have a criminal record. That is 1/3 of all adults. Do 1/3 of the adults trying to enter illegally have criminal records?

The truth is, the countries south of us do not keep accurate criminal records as we do in the USA. Many areas do not have the computers to keep records. And if they do, sharing the info is no where near the level we have.

Instead of 1/3, lets speculate that only 10% have engaged in a criminal activity.

That would mean over 100 adults that have been involved with criminal activities are trying to enter illegally, EVERY DAY.

I'm 100% FOR legal immigration, but, 100% AGAINST illegal immigration. We need to find a way to stop the illegals. Because some of them are criminals.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  12. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee

Right now both the Democratic party and the Republican party are being exposed as crooked corporate servants by a guy who's not a Republican or a Democrat, just an American. For some reason though they don't seem to understand their time of graft and deceit is nearing an end.

While Federal workers sit at home, the obstructing Dems are partying in Puerto Rico with billionaire corporate lobbyists.

While 86 Californians were burned alive in their cars and 14,000 watched their homes burn to the ground, the mostly-Dem reps partied in Maui with the corporate bigwigs who actually started and caused the fires/deaths, to accept "donations" in exchange for new laws protecting the guilty companies from lawsuits.

Nearly half of Obama's Cabinet members have come under investigation/indictment already, with the FBI and DOJ considered tainted by most Americans, and corrupt to the core by a large minority. Wait until the cases play out over the next 6 years, taking down most media-supported "heroes" and "analysts" like Brennan, Clapper...

13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

14. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Building the wall without the Dems getting anything in return.

DACA recipients will be voting for Trump in 2020 now that there's no denying Dems lied to them and won't support them.

Pentagon extends troops' southern border mission by 8 months as shutdown over border wall continues

By Gregg Re | Fox News

As the ongoing partial government shutdown over funding for President Trump's proposed border wall continues and the White House debates declaring a state of emergency to pay for it, the Pentagon on Monday extended the military's mission on the southern border by eight months.

In a statement, the Defense Department said Acting Secretary of Defense Pat Shanahan had approved a Dec. 27 request from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to extend and expand the troops' role. There are currently roughly 2,350 active-duty troops currently supporting the border mission, down from a high of nearly 6,000 late last year.

U.S. military support to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which was previously set to expire Jan. 31, is now slated to end on Sept. 30. The Pentagon had extended the troops' mission on the border once before, on Dec. 15.

"DOD [Department of Defense] is transitioning its support at the southwestern border from hardening ports of entry to mobile surveillance and detection, as well as concertina wire emplacement between ports of entry," the Defense Department said in a statement. "DOD will continue to provide aviation support."

[​IMG]
    FILE - In this Nov. 16, 2018, photo, members of the U.S. military install multiple tiers of concertina wire along the banks of the Rio Grande near the Juarez-Lincoln Bridge at the U.S.-Mexico border in Laredo, Texas. The Pentagon is estimating the cost of the military's mission on the U.S.-Mexico border will be about $210 million under current plans. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Defense Department personnel are helping to operate security cameras and to lay about 150 miles of concertina wire between official ports of entry, officials said. Troops last fall put down about 70 miles of wire.

An official familiar with the agreement said the Pentagon has not yet determined how many more active-duty troops will be required to carry out the additional work. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details that were not made public after Shanahan approved the plan.

Another 2,000 National Guard troops have been deployed to the southern border since April on a separate mission. It is possible that National Guard troops could perform some of the aviation support, officials said.

The military is prohibited by law from performing domestic law enforcement tasks but has periodically provided assistance to civilian border security authorities.

The Pentagon had told Congress late last year that using thousands of military troops to help secure the southwest border would cost an estimated $210 million.

Meanwhile, President Trump used an address Monday to the American Farm Bureau convention to dig in on his call for a border wall, even as new polling indicates most Americans oppose his administration’s strategy of demanding money for the U.S.-Mexico barrier in exchange for ending the partial government shutdown.

Speaking in New Orleans, Trump said there was “no substitute” for a physical barrier along the southern border with Mexico and accused Democrats of playing politics in refusing to negotiate on the issue.

“They think if they stop me, it’ll be good for 2020,” Trump said of Democrats in Congress. “We need that barrier. … If you don’t have that barrier there, there is not a thing you can do.”

The president has repeatedly threatened to have the military “build the remaining sections” of the U.S.-Mexico border wall, appearing to revive a call to use Pentagon money to finish the project.

“People do not yet realize how much of the Wall, including really effective renovation, has already been built. If the Democrats do not give us the votes to secure our Country, the Military will build the remaining sections of the Wall. They know how important it is!” Trump vowed late last year.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. urged Trump last weekto invoke his presidential emergency powers to immediately begin construction of the wall without congressional approval. The White House last week directed the Army Corps of Engineers to look at possible ways of funding border security, including potentially through the reallocation of unspent disaster relief funds, in a possible sign the administration is moving in that direction.

After Trump reportedly rejects attempts by Senate Republicans for a grand bargain on border security and the wall, Sen. Graham says there's no other path forward but for the president to use his executive power; Mike Emanuel reports

Should the White House move forward with an emergency declaration, it has a handful of legal routes to take. The National Emergencies Act grants the president broad authority to declare emergencies, and several federal laws could then clear a path for the White House to move ahead with building a wall.

One statute permits the president to "apply the resources of the Department of the Army’s civil works program, including funds, personnel, and equipment, to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense."

Another law permits the secretary of defense, in a presidentially declared emergency, to use "funds that have been appropriated for military construction" for the purpose of undertaking "military construction projects."

Fox News' Lucas Tomlinson, Andrew O'Reilly, and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

15. SlyPokerDog

16. barfo

So by your own calculations, you are more worried about the 100 criminals trying to break in than the 70,000,000 criminals already inside.

That seems insane to me.

barfo

riverman likes this.
  17. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
  18. SlyPokerDog

The Dutch built a wall in New Amsterdam to keep the British out. The British went around the wall, took over New Amsterdam and then renamed it New York. The wall was taken down and it became Wall Street.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

20. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub